Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW incurs 3 million dollar penalty

WILDPIG

BMW incurs 3 million dollar penalty

yep read em an weep -BMW has been fined 3 million bux for non compliance to report failures.............. all i say is COULD'NT HAPPENED TO A MORE DESERVING COMPANY... PERSONALLY --I'M DELIGHTED.. BMW been getting away with far to much far to long,,,,, no bmw sheeple here..

Very interesting. Could you post a link to the article.

Thanks
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Since this is not hexhead specific it's being moved over to Motorrad.. (for discussion of things BMW..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Marty
    O6 RT, 03 F650GS

here's a little more information: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/12...A-Penalty.aspx
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Makes BMW seem pretty inept.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

3 mil to them is a penny to us. They raise the parts prices a nickel and make it back in 3 days. This happens every day to many companies/not sure about the cheering. Does it somehow make you feel good? Does it change anything?
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Cool

Cheering any financial punishment of BMW seems counterproductive to a group of individuals who, by their very membership in this club, choose to champion this brand of motorcycle as their own.

Sadly, financial punishment seems to be the only way to get BMW to sit up and take notice of disgruntled customers.

There are many who are rightfully frustrated by BMW's ambivilence towards issues with final drives, fuel strips, ESA components, etc.

While I wish to see BMW flourish as a motorcycle brand here in the USA, I'm sure as a corporation, it watches its bottom line carefully and will eventually need to reassess its approach to these fines and the pending NHTSA investigation into their post-2004 motorcycle line final drives.

Let's hope that rather than stockpiling funds to settle small-to-medium sized penalties levied against them, they invest it in a less complex and more reliable FD, fuel gauge and other tweaking to our beloved mounts.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 02-15-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by WILDPIG View Post
    yep read em an weep -BMW has been fined 3 million bux for non compliance to report failures.............. all i say is COULD'NT HAPPENED TO A MORE DESERVING COMPANY... PERSONALLY --I'M DELIGHTED.. BMW been getting away with far to much far to long,,,,, no bmw sheeple here..
    There seems to be a loud tone of hate? / discust?..in your post. Strange for a member of [this] group...Did they slight you somehow?..if so tell us.

Do a search for his posts.

The vast majority are nothing but bashing BMW

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I'm sure as a corporation ...
    You know of course that 47% ownership of BMW rests with one family, i.e. the Quandts? A little less "corporate" than many companies, I'd then think.

It's poor performance on the part of the NA branch for sure, but this is really nothing new. Methinks the reality is they do well here despite that group.

Also think it's much more ineptness than any conspiracy against BMW motorcycle owners, as is so laughingly and so too often suggested here.

Yes, they may not notice the $3 million so much, but they will notice the publicity. I doubt, however, they have a budget line item for fines, so do indeed think they'll notice. Our hero's not perfect--where have we seen this before? (everywhere)

So, do we think this is going to affect sales of the S1000RR? The R1200GS? The K1600s?

Those who can't quite afford to play will surely find fuel for rationalizations for holding off, getting out, posting wild-eyed hysterical criticisms, etc., but otherwise I'd think little affect.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Reads to me like BMW is being fined for doing incomplete paperwork with the federal bureaucracy, not for safety defects.

Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    Reads to me like BMW is being fined for doing incomplete paperwork with the federal bureaucracy, not for safety defects.
    Thanks for seeing the real facts! To be fair I've had 1 leaking rear shock in 300k miles on my BMW's so I'm less inclined to cry wolf than some who seem to want revenge for some past real or imagined problem. I feel a bit sorry for posters who have no life other than bashing. I prefer riding and enjoying my GS.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

WILDPIG
    71243 - if u knew what ive been thru with bmw you'd only wonder why i havent tied a stick o dynomite to the bike or ran it off into the river-- from bmw north america all the way to the failed dealership up to an includine me havin to advise said underwater ex dealership of mis application of fluids to improper service techniques an on anon -- then theres the refusal to service the bike under warranty and on an on ........ lol yea with a springer modified to the hilt with 120,000 trouble free miles and 50 yrs of riding bikes and owning at least 30 -- the r`1200r is without a doubt the lousiest pos i ever made the mistake of buying......

WILDPIG
    71243 -- no need to reply nor any need from the others in the peanut gallery -- you asked a question -- i answered it. this aint gonna turn into a lets bash wildpig blog..... anyone slingin mud -- gonna get it slung right back --fair notice. disgusted -- yes 3 failed rotors 2 r & r brake lines workin on the 4th battery lets see what else oh yea 2 failed ews on the side o the road of course, a few other odds n ends.... oh yea -- cracked lens-- they called it a rock hit -- i think otherwise and a few more odds n ends did i mention fork seals? now bear in mind i had to literally BUILD A CASE AN THREATEN LAW SUIT BEFORE BMW WOULD HONOR THE WARRANTY.......... i really didnt the small stuff that went wrong -- and btw -- ZERO REBUSEMENT FOR OVER 1000 BUX OUTTA MY POCKET.................... pissed -- yea i'd say so... maybe yall ride the bulletproof bmw's -- i would settle for mine merely --- being reliable.