Thread: 1985 K100 Drive shaft splines

Hybrid View

Thumbs up 1985 K100 Drive shaft splines

I trying NOT to hit the forum with more then one dumb idea every 2 weeks or so. I have a K100 that tugs an EML/GT2 side car. The PO had put on 20k miles and then I put another 10k more before I did a complete spline job. I found the FD/DS splines used up. I found a good used FD/DS. I put 10k more and did a FD/DS lube at the time of a tire change. I had used a moly60/lithium mixture and it wasn't doing well. I relubed with straight honda moly 60. Now 20K later and it is time for a tire change and I discover FD/DS splines are almost used up again. This means two FDs in 60K. I have found an other used FD set as Bruno's rebuild is far beyond my means. But!!! reading Bruno's website gave me an idea.

Is this a dumb idea? I am thinking about filling the DS with nonexpanding foam insulation. Then stuffing something like WalMart sacks into the space at the inside (forward ,beyond the splines) of the splines. fill the forward space that is left with grease and assemble. Now the only way that grease can get out is to work it's way rearward.

Harold in Kansas
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

Rally Rat
    I wouldn't do it. Do you want that stuff shifting around on you?

I have converted a few K-Bikes to run the driveshaft wet and they never wore out another set of splines. It's a fair bit of work, and they often leaked a bit, but on the whole, it seemed worth it.

Used, mismatched machined parts will wear extremely quickly. Buy a few more and you will have reached the cost of a proper rebuild.

As for your idea, the mechanical forces will force the lube out from the machined surfaces, said mismatched surfaces trying to wear together to match. Grease will not stop that wear.

Lostboy's wet solution sounds good, but again, you will need matched (new) splines on each side.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

I wonder about the rubber damper in the driveshaft. Will the oil damage it?
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Bob; I am using good used FD/DS pairs from the same bikes. They are matched.

Lostboy; Wet DS sounds like the /2 kind of thing. Do you have a reference that I can goto to see how it is done. This is an EML swing arm so I would hesitate to modifiy it. If I screwed it up, chances of replaceing it are slim to non.

Thanks for the inputs. Any other opinions are welcome. Harold in Kansas
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by hhshort View Post
    Bob; I am using good used FD/DS pairs from the same bikes. They are matched.

Lostboy; Wet DS sounds like the /2 kind of thing. Do you have a reference that I can goto to see how it is done. This is an EML swing arm so I would hesitate to modifiy it. If I screwed it up, chances of replaceing it are slim to non.

Thanks for the inputs. Any other opinions are welcome. Harold in Kansas
    I used to work at Bobs. The man who ran a K75 all those miles was Paul Mihalka, who is not offiially a mechanic; he was the sales manager there-he's just brilliant.

We had a local machinist mill, drill and tap the rear drive for 10mm plugs near the shock mount, so there's no risk to the EML swingarm.

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    I wonder about the rubber damper in the driveshaft. Will the oil damage it?
    One of the top mechanics (he's now retired) at Bobs' BMW ran his K75 this way for around 300,000 miles. No problem with the rubber damper. And he had no problem with the splines.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche