Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hot weather jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    +1
    Does anuone else make a kevlar jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by lonetour View Post
    Does anuone else make a kevlar jacket?
    Motoport - I'm told it's one of the best most indestructible jackets/pants you can own.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Motoport - I'm told it's one of the best most indestructible jackets/pants you can own.
    I put that to the test on a Colorado gravel road a few years back while riding at about 30mph. I don't don't know how far I slid, but the armour totally protected my body. The jacket and pants had only minor scrapes that are not noticed unless I point them out. That was in '07 and the suit still looks good.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama

Unhappy

The BEST, but not within his specs of $250...

I missed that part, but that would also exclude the BMW airflow as well..... But he should save up the dough and get the best. I have the motoport with the waterproof liner and the heated liner as well and it is an expensive solution to being in Texas. I can keep dry and warm on these cold and drizzly days and when summer gets here i am ready to go. It beats having multiple jackets. They are not the most fashionable but they work.

I've been looking at all the suggestions and I'm thinking the extra money spent on the Motoport, though more than I originally wanted to spend is the way to go.
    I'm really suprised there aren't more manufaturers of Kevlar gear.

I live in South Louisiana. Just bought the Motoport Ultra II Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants for my wife. Ideal for where and when we ride. Intend to order a set for my self within the next month or two. The only thing that I don't like is the liner is required to make it waterproof...

I agree that having to put the liner in to make it waterproof is a pain. But a small price to pay for the flexibility I get from the jacket for Texas riding, which is as bad as Lousiana riding. Although you have much worse humidity than we do.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    I agree that having to put the liner in to make it waterproof is a pain. But a small price to pay for the flexibility I get from the jacket for Texas riding, which is as bad as Lousiana riding. Although you have much worse humidity than we do.
    If it is a hot day, I don't bother with the jacket rain liner. I dry out quickly, and besides, the windshield keeps most of the rain off my upper body. I don't mind the coat liner and when it is cooler, I'll put a Gerbings jacket underneath it.

Don't like the pant liners; too awkward for me when they are zipped in, so if I do need the pant liners, I put them on but never zipped into the riding pants. Unless it is a major downpour or it is very cold, the bike's faring keeps me dry in moderate rains without the pant liners.

I've ridden about 90,000 miles in my Motoport mesh suit, in temperatures below freezing (with electrics and liners) to 106F. It has a lot more wear left in it.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

ok Motoport is getting my biz! I've searched and can't find anything really negative about their product.

ok Motoport is getting my biz! I've searched and can't find anything really negative about their product.
    OK, here's something negative

Motoport makes fantastic gear, but... There are people who just can't stand the feel of kevlar just as there are people who will never wear wool. Make sure you are not one of the "I hate kevlar" people before ordering the gear.

Curmudgeon in training
    I've been looking at all the suggestions and I'm thinking the extra money spent on the Motoport, though more than I originally wanted to spend is the way to go.
    I'm really suprised there aren't more manufaturers of Kevlar gear.
    Motoport gear isn't made from 100% Kevlar. It's a Nylon/Kevlar weave that's mostly Nylon. I'm thinking 15% Kevlar, 85% Nylon, but that may be off. IIRC, the nylon gives it abrasion resistance and the Kevlar gives it tear resistance, but it could be the other way around.

Kevlar is the Dupont trademarked name for aramid fibers. BMW and other gear makers have jackets that use aramid/nylon mixes, but they don't use Dupont's aramid fibers, so it's not labeled "Kevlar". The BMW Streetguard's use schoeller-keprotec which is an aramid/nylon mix.

I had a Motoport Ultra II Mesh Kevlar jacket. I thought it was a well made, protective jacket, but it had two down sides. 1) For most folks (not all), it fits and looks like you're wearing a burlap potato sack. 2) There's so much padding in the chest it doesn't flow as much air as I would have expected. I sold my Motoport and replaced it with a BMW Airshell. I prefer the Airshell to the Motoport, but wish the Airshell had chest pads.

There's a really long Motoport thread in the equipment section on advrider.com with lots of Motoport reviews. Really worth a look. Also a good place to buy a used Motoport jacket is in the advrider flea market.

Like everything else with motorcycle gear, YMMV.

I purchased the Motoport Cordua II jacket for myself and my wife. We are both very happy with them. I have both the rain liner and the insulated liner, as I do a lot of cold (20 F minus) riding. The fit on both is perfect! the versatility is great, as you can stash the liners in a rear pocket in the jacket. With no liner, I've ridden in the upper 90s and low 100s F. As long as I was moving, I was very comfortable. Just don't try to stand around in the hot sun for more than a few short minutes. I would definitely purchase from them again. And probably will, as I could use new pants with a rain liner.

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

Olympia airglide +2
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Hot Weather Jacket

I had a BMW Airflow 4 jacket and pants for last year's BMW MOA Rally at which it was tested to 104F. I can attest that it's a fine jacket for when it gets toasty out. But no matter what you wear, you're going to need to be hydrated regularly!

Kent