Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sea foam in Beemers

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I've never been a big fan of adding a fuel conditioner/combustion chamber cleaner/carb cleaner to a lubrication system.

I mean, our oils are detergent, are they not? If one properly maintains their bike, how dirty can the inside of a motor be? Every engine I've had the pleasure of disassembling has been as clean as a whistle.

I will await those with greater knowledge to tell me how far out in left field I am (or not).
    It's probably more beneficial to sludge-prone engines (I know one of my cars is on that list) but I was wondering if it would be good practice to use it on our oilheads let's say 100 miles prior to an oil change. However, given the design of our oilhead engines, I have some concerns about altering the oil properties and potentially affecting critical parts of the engine. I could be wrong, though.

Hopefully the more experienced will chime in.
    2004 BMW R1150RT

Grampa Tumbleweed

Sea Foam

I used it for the first time this year (I live in Wisconsin), but maybe I shouldn't. I'm not worried about cleaning anything, rather I wanted to "stabilize" my fuel for Dec-Feb. After reading the rest of the comments (Paul and others) maybe I should go back to Stabil next Winter.

I just used it on the old '79 RT I just bought...helps get all that accumulated water. Works for me
    Blog: http://swriding.blogspot.com
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.
    Any more talk like this will result in a clearance sale of additives at my place. Date to be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I've used Seafoam and Chevron Techron. No problems with either. Now I stick with Techron though because I feel it is more effective and I have a test report of the most common fuel cleaners, and Techron was proved as the only real effective cleaner with no harmful after effects.
    +1 on Techron. Seafoam is 50% pale oil (mineral oil), 30% naphtha (think mothballs) and 20% rubbing alcohol. Invented in the 1930s, before fuel injection, its time seems to me to have passed.

Marvel mystery oil has been around for almost 100 years still use it as a upper cylinder lubricant, used by many aircraft operators (not FAA approved) mixed with fuel, prior to oil change a quart in the oil tank run for a hour then drain. Good lube for fuel pumps and injectors
    FYI the quart in the oil mixes with 10 gallons of 60wt oil
    The above was recommended by my radial engine builder

Techron vs Sea foam

Wonder HOW "Sea Foam" got its name? I don't know, asking! I just used Techron on a 3800m trip last week and have not used it for years, forgot when last time done, if ever. My GSA1200 got weak in high rev ops on the highway, say 75-80mph and hard accelling from there. Boy, did the Techron work wonders. Within a quarter tank of gas, the engine "lit up" again. I poured the whole bottle into my GSA10g tank at fillup. Sure works. LIKE. Says it works up to 12 gallons at a time. My oil doesn't need any help, imo, as it still looks rather clean at my change intervals. I know I WILL be more aggressive with my adding the cleaner to my fuel system from now on, at least twice a year. Randy

Sea Foam was formulated in the 1930's specifically for boats, to handle the condensation/moisture content in fuel systems that sat unused for longer periods of time in very wet environments. Thus "Sea Foam".
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Cool Works great!

We use it in our bikes and have had great success!

PS - our local dealer recommends it as well.

Stabil

Quote Originally Posted by 7536 View Post
    I used it for the first time this year (I live in Wisconsin), but maybe I shouldn't. I'm not worried about cleaning anything, rather I wanted to "stabilize" my fuel for Dec-Feb. After reading the rest of the comments (Paul and others) maybe I should go back to Stabil next Winter.
    There was a thread on here or ADVrider that said stabil did not get along with the BMW injecters
    Phil

That's kind of hard to believe for me. I can't begin to even think of how many gallons of SeaFoam I've run through my injected BMWs since 1993. Hundreds of thousands of miles later I've never had even the slightest problem.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

BMW uses exactly the same Bosch injector as used in the cars, they are set to a certain flow rate, and the holes on the end a certain way. They are built on an automated line, it would be way too expensive to customize where they do not like seafoam. That said, chevron techron is a superior cleaning additive containing chemistry developed in the last 20 years as opposed to WW2 stoddard solvent.

Rod

Clarification in Order?

I was reading this thread and thought I would chime-in on something that (may) confuse people if they skip through this thread without knowing exactly which application the individual posters are referring. Since the product can be used in the fuel tank, the crankcase and by adding it to air intake systems, I wanted to ensure readers, who may not be familiar with Sea Foam, know that this thread jumps back and forth in the method of application for which the members are writing. Make sense? It just seems like one member mentions using it without specifying the fuel system and then another member mentions using it without specifying the crankcase. I may be wrong here, but I want to ensure anyone reading the thread, and looking for info, doesn't confuse one post as a response to another, and so on.

Also, FWIW, Techron is great if you want to increase HP because it does what it's advertised to do, and that's remove and prevent the build-up of deposits. Last I checked, they're two completely different products (Techron/Sea Foam) for two different purposes. Granted, so long as you're using a Top Tier gas, http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html , you SHOULD be fine without the additional additives. Sea Foam, on the other hand, does sooooooooo much more. I mean, a lot more. AND, they have an aerosol dispersing can now... Woohoo! The best result of using the stuff is in small 2-Cycle motors; huge difference.

Please see the following.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXVi...ayer_embedded#!
    Jay
    Ride Safe & Smart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kewlmoose View Post
    Used it in my R65 & in my R1150, works great!
    I have an r75 and r1150rt. What sort of benefits might I expect if I were to add sea foam to my tanks?
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.