Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sea foam in Beemers

Hybrid View

DUCMONZA

Smile Sea foam in Beemers

Has anyone ever used Sea foam in their bikes? I've used it for years in all of my marine equipment and yard equipment. I've been afraid to try it in an F.I. System, but on my old CB750 the stuff works miracles.

Just curious to see what other members think about using the stuff.

Smile

Been using it in the R1200RT since '06.

No problems - good stuff!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

All the time. Keep the injectors clean and burns what's in the tank. Won't hurt a thing.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Used it in my R65 & in my R1150, works great!
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Nickname: Droid
    I've used Seafoam and Chevron Techron. No problems with either. Now I stick with Techron though because I feel it is more effective and I have a test report of the most common fuel cleaners, and Techron was proved as the only real effective cleaner with no harmful after effects.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I've used Seafoam and Chevron Techron. No problems with either. Now I stick with Techron though because I feel it is more effective and I have a test report of the most common fuel cleaners, and Techron was proved as the only real effective cleaner with no harmful after effects.
    +1 on Techron. Seafoam is 50% pale oil (mineral oil), 30% naphtha (think mothballs) and 20% rubbing alcohol. Invented in the 1930s, before fuel injection, its time seems to me to have passed.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Had a buddy's K1100LT for a bit while I was tinkering on mine. Double yer pleasure. Put Seafoam in mine and equal in his.... gave them both a backyard highrev tuneup. Gave him back his bike and he said, "wow, what the hell did you do to it? Like a new bike" Of course I lied and said that it had a lot to do with my tuneup abilities ..... and, at no charge. Is that ethical? - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I had heard that repeated use isn't oil friendly....I was told to consider a dose at the end of the riding season to clean out the fuel system and then change the oil.

thoughts??
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by kewlmoose View Post
    Used it in my R65 & in my R1150, works great!
    I have an r75 and r1150rt. What sort of benefits might I expect if I were to add sea foam to my tanks?
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

I am with Paul on this one... I add Chevron Techron in my Airheads prior to changing the oil. I have had not had any problems with it.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

I just used it on the old '79 RT I just bought...helps get all that accumulated water. Works for me
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Nickname: Droid
    I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.
    Any more talk like this will result in a clearance sale of additives at my place. Date to be announced.

Cool Works great!

We use it in our bikes and have had great success!

PS - our local dealer recommends it as well.

Grampa Tumbleweed

Sea Foam

I used it for the first time this year (I live in Wisconsin), but maybe I shouldn't. I'm not worried about cleaning anything, rather I wanted to "stabilize" my fuel for Dec-Feb. After reading the rest of the comments (Paul and others) maybe I should go back to Stabil next Winter.