Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

Camping?

I'm planning on attending. Thinking about camping as a "warmup" to the MO International Rally, no pun intended (new to the moto-camping scene). Anybody know of any camping in the area or is this a mostly hotel based event? Also, are there any organized rides to the Shanksville Memorial site, sounds like something I would really like to do.

Looking forward to being there.
    At the beginning of every long and winding road is a...car.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by pinscher View Post
    I'm planning on attending. Thinking about camping as a "warmup" to the MO International Rally, no pun intended (new to the moto-camping scene). Anybody know of any camping in the area or is this a mostly hotel based event? Also, are there any organized rides to the Shanksville Memorial site, sounds like something I would really like to do.

Looking forward to being there.

Gettysburg is chock a block full of camping areas. I rode past this one yesterday. I can't recommend any though since I'm a local.

I don't know of the event organizers or local club are scheduling a Flight 93 Memorial ride but I'd be happy to if they're not and there's interest. I could do the 13th or 14th but my preference would be the 13th since the weekend traffic on Route 30 gets a bit heavy. There's an outstanding section with four mountain crossings with a few peg-scraping curves between Fort Loudon and Breezewood and on weekend the odds of getting stuck behind a slow truck or minivan is about 80%.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 03-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Sounds like a fun weekend

I plan on coming, weather permitting. I am a new BMW rider and it will be m first rally. If it is going to be rain for the weekend I will not come. Don't want to spend my first weekend and rally riding in the rain.

Event Coordinator

Marc Souliere beemer1@sympatico.ca
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    Marc Souliere beemer1@sympatico.ca
    Thanks Muriel!
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Rally Rat
    Codoras State park is east of Gettysburg, (south/east of Hanover, 40 minute ride), nice park but the pool won't be open that early. There is also Caledonia State park to the north/west, near Mt. Union(20 minute ride), and Pine Grove Furnace State park(35 minute ride) almost due north of Gettysburg. The advantage of the state park (at least here in PA) is that at a private campground, the security guy is usually a retiree, with no real authority, but at the state park, the park rangers have the power to arrest, so unruly patrons are dealt with differently. On the negative side (for some), state parks do not allow alcohol , but they will not search your bags when you enter, so as long as you are discreet, you'll be fine.

Rt 233 connecting Caledonia park and Pine Grove Furnace is a nice section of good pavement. Not "twisty", but curvy and fun.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    Codoras State park is east of Gettysburg, (south/east of Hanover, 40 minute ride), nice park but the pool won't be open that early. There is also Caledonia State park to the north/west, near Mt. Union(20 minute ride), and Pine Grove Furnace State park(35 minute ride) almost due north of Gettysburg. The advantage of the state park (at least here in PA) is that at a private campground, the security guy is usually a retiree, with no real authority, but at the state park, the park rangers have the power to arrest, so unruly patrons are dealt with differently. On the negative side (for some), state parks do not allow alcohol , but they will not search your bags when you enter, so as long as you are discreet, you'll be fine.

Rt 233 connecting Caledonia park and Pine Grove Furnace is a nice section of good pavement. Not "twisty", but curvy and fun.
    Well, Mount Union is about 100 miles from Gettysburg, but good tips on the state parks. I ride 233 through them at least 2 or 3 times a week.

We've camped at Cordorus and it's a nice park. The bath houses are up to date and well maintained and the staff and camp neighbors were friendly. The down side (?) was a bit of a distance to find a restaurant.

We would go back there again.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    We've camped at Cordorus and it's a nice park. The bath houses are up to date and well maintained and the staff and camp neighbors were friendly. The down side (?) was a bit of a distance to find a restaurant.

We would go back there again.
    You'd also have to go through Hanover to get to Gettysburg. That's not a huge deal, but does take 15 minutes or so. Plus the really good roads are mostly north and west of Gettysburg, and Codoras is east.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Well, Mount Union is about 100 miles from Gettysburg, but good tips on the state parks. I ride 233 through them at least 2 or 3 times a week.
    There is a Mt. Union on 30, just west of 233 on the PA state map approx. 20 miles from Gettysburg. Maybe there are 2, or my map is wrong.

Steve
    There is a Mt. Union on 30, just west of 233 on the PA state map approx. 20 miles from Gettysburg. Maybe there are 2, or my map is wrong.
    That's weird. I've ridden or driven that way literally 100 times and never seen it. The only one I know of is near Huntingdon.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 03-25-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Rally Rat
    It was a free map, might be wrong...... The point was more to give a refferance to help pinpoint where the park is. Our local (church) club is having our first camp rally at Pine Grove Furnace state park in July, yeah, I know, too hot, but that's when it worked. We looked at the 3 state parks as well as others, decided on Pine Grove based on the condition of their group camping area and level parking for the bikes.

I have a commitment Friday night of the Weekend Get a Way, but have volunteered to help as needed on Saturday, hope to meet some of you in person.

Steve
    It was a free map, might be wrong......
    That happens. A lot of maps indicate that I live in Schlusser. But there is no such place. It just doesn't exist.

Flight 93

Thank you for notifying us about the event. We do ask that groups over 15 make a reservation to visit the memorial. Please share the following information with anyone who may be visiting.

The memorial entrance is directly off of U.S. Route 30. The address for GPS users is: 6424 Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30), Stoystown, PA 15563.

The Flight 93 National Memorial has set hours of operation, please plan your visit accordingly. The memorial is open every day of the year except for Christmas and New YearÔÇÖs Day. During the winter months, until March 31, the memorial is open from 9 AM to 5 PM. The last entry into the park is at 4:30 PM. From April 1 to mid-October, the memorial will be open from
    9 AM to 7 PM, with the last entry into the park at 6:30 PM.

Please be aware that the memorial is currently experiencing high visitation. On weekends April-October, anticipate large crowds and the potential for limited parking and shuttle buses.

Frequently asked questions and key points:
    ÔÇó First phase of the permanent memorial was dedicated on September
    10th, 2011.

ÔÇó There is no fee to visit the memorial.

ÔÇó Plan to spend at least 45 minutes to visit the memorial.

ÔÇó Restrooms are available.

ÔÇó No food, drink or merchandise is available. These items are available
    in Somerset and Shanksville and at locations on Route 30 such as
    Jennerstown, Buckstown, and Reels Corners.

ÔÇó Only service animals are permitted inside the memorial area. Pets are
    permitted in the parking area as long as they are on a leash and
    owners clean up after their pet.

ÔÇó The memorial is out of doors; please dress appropriately for the
    weather.

ÔÇó Wheel-chairs are available for use; ask a park ranger for assistance.

ÔÇó Visitors are welcome to leave small tributes at the Wall of Names or
    in a few designated places on the plaza walkway.

ÔÇó The memorial is a place for quiet reflection and expressions of
    respect.

Wendy Clay
    Park Guide

National Park Service
    Flight 93 National Memorial
    P.O. Box 911
    Shanksville, PA 15560

814.893.6322 phone
    814.893.6329 fax
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

I stopped in at the Jean Bonnet tavern in Bedford Pa. yesterday.

http://www.jeanbonnettavern.com/

I spoke with the owner, Melissa and told her about the BMW rally in Gettysburg and the discussion about traveling to the Flight 93 Memorial.

She was excited to hear that BMW riders might be stopping!

I highly recommend a stop at jean Bonnet!

Jason
    Last edited by gsjay; 03-30-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294