Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

Here's a route to the Flight 93 Memorial. I'd take Rt 30 all the way outbound, then come back by taking Rt 26 south at Everett. Note that there aren't any convenience stores or gas stations between Everett and McConnellsburg, so I always make a pit stop in Everett. On the way out, Breezewood is a gob of Interstate gas stations, restaurants, and convenience stores, so it's a good place for a fill up and pit stop.

30 isn't great until you get through Chambersburg to St. Thomas. Chambersburg itself has some very nice Victorian houses on Rt. 11 near Wilson College. Lee was there just before Gettysburg, and it was burned by Confederates later in the war for not paying a ransom. John Brown also lived there while organizing the raid on Harper's Ferry. Route 116 south of Gettysburg was one of the primary retreat routes for the Confederates after the battle.

I've marked a couple of nice lunch spots. Some of the plotting for the Whiskey Rebellion was done at the Jean Bonnet Tavern.

For lunch or dinner in Gettysburg itself, I recommend the Dobbin House and the Appalachian Brew Pub (which is right beside Lee's HQ during the battle). A little further afield, I like the Boiling Springs Tavern and the Hofbrauhaus.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 02-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.

A few other recommendations for things to do. You'll definitely want to visit the Gettysburg Battlefield Visitor's Center. It was just built a few years ago. The Park Service started charging for it then, but it's worth it. I also recommend the Eisenhower Farm which is just off the battlefield, a few hundred yards from where Pickett's Charge started.

The U.S. Army War College and Army Heritage Center are at Carlisle, about 30 miles away. The Heritage Center has a nice open air display. The College itself is kind of interesting but you can't ride a motorcycle on Carlisle Barracks unless you have a DoD registration sticker and are wearing something hi viz. But it's a small post. I'd be happy to do a walking tour if anyone wants (there is parking outside the gate). It is the second oldest installation in the U.S. military and for a while was the Carlisle Indian School where Jim Thorpe trained for the Olympics and Pop Warner coached football.

If you head south, the Antietam Battlefield and Harper's Ferry aren't too far. If you opt for that, I recommend the Bavarian Inn or Blue Moon Cafe in Shepherdstown for lunch. There's also a nice Civil War museum in Harrisburg but the ride there from Gettysburg is fairly congested. And you could also pop over to the city of York and tour the Harley factory!

Oh, and one other thing--the closest BMW dealer is Velocity Cycles in case anyone has any issues.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 02-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Gettysburg MOA Weekend

My friend and I will be riding from North Carolina on R1200R's. Mine is a 2009 Alpine White and his is a 2008 Granite Gray.

Rockbottom,

Thanks for the ride suggestions. By the way, the dobie dog photo is great! I cannot believe that the Westminster Kennel Club "judge" named a dust bunny with eyes as best in show. The Doberman, the German Shepherd or the Dalmation were all better examples of true canines and either one would have been a better choice than what the "judge" selected.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    My friend and I will be riding from North Carolina on R1200R's. Mine is a 2009 Alpine White and his is a 2008 Granite Gray.

Rockbottom,

Thanks for the ride suggestions. By the way, the dobie dog photo is great! I cannot believe that the Westminster Kennel Club "judge" named a dust bunny with eyes as best in show. The Doberman, the German Shepherd or the Dalmation were all better examples of true canines and either one would have been a better choice than what the "judge" selected.

Bill
    I'd never seen another R12R other than at the rally last summer and then I stopped for gas last fall and there were two at the pump. It's my favorite thing I've ever owned in my life. I bought it in July 2010 and have about 32K on it now.

I lost my 9 year old Golden Retriever to cancer last month and it devastated me. I lasted three days and bought the five month old Doberman. It's a much, much more intense experience than having Goldens. He's at the vet being altered right now.

On Westminster, here was a tweet I made this morning: "I've always considers the Pekingese the perfect dog. To use as alligator bait. "

Rockbottom has done a nice job of putting together info for a ride to the Flight 93 Memorial.

I live in Somerset county, just 4 miles from Route 30 and about 10 miles from the memorial.

In my opinion the section of 30 from Bedford, Pa. where route 31 splits off @ the Jean Bonnet Tavern west to the memorial is one of the best!
    http://www.jeanbonnettavern.com/

The Jean Bonnett is a GREAT STOP!

The memorial is a moving tribute. They expect 400,000 visitors this year!

Shameless plug coming:
    If you don't make it to the memorial while in Gettysburg.........

Our 10th Annual Laurel Highlands BMW Riders Campout is in June, Fathers Day Weekend and held in Somerset, only a few miles from the memorial.
    Our event is listed on the MOA calendar.

Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

R1200R's

Rockbottom,

We had three R1200R's in our group at the Bloomsburg Rally. It is my favorite bike, as well.

I know how you feel about losing your canine companion. It is two years today that I had to euthanize our beloved Buster, the large red greyhound in the forefront of my avatar. My wife and I still miss him tremendously!

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Ute's Chauffeur
    Excellent ride suggestions, the more the merrier. Will be heading down from central NY, can't wait. Expect it to be the first ride of the season.

Riding Geek
    @rockbottom Great ride suggestions & thanks for the clarification on that Amish country is more than just around Lancaster!

@fastdogs2 I was at the rally last year on my 2007 Granite Gray R1200R. I'll be at the weekend getaway with another riding buddy who has a 2007 Black R1200R. I'm leaving my GS at home for this one... let's see if we can get a bunch of the roadsters out to Gettysburg in April!

>>"I've always considers the Pekingese the perfect dog. To use as alligator bait. "<<

Shame on you Your a fellow dog owner, that little dust-mop is someones beloved pet, just as your Doberman is & Goldie was....tis,tis,tis.....

I had a Goldie, cancer took her as well.....they are a special breed indeed.

Just to get people stoked, I thought I'd throw up a few pictures from the battlefield.

The sniper's den near Little Round Top.

The Lutheran Seminary.

Reenacters on Little Round Top

The High Water Mark of the Confederacy

Codori Farm. Pickett's charge swept past here.

Devil's Den

Pennsylvania Memorial

Before coming, I'd recommend watching the Ted Turner movie Gettysburg if you haven't.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 02-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I registered today; I hope we don't get payback for the mild winter on that weekend!

I saw that there were still spots open for a nighttime battlefield tour on Friday. Does anyone know when this tour starts or whether it is on bikes as opposed to a bus? I don't want to sign up and take a spot if it will start before I can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Rockbottom,
    Nice route!
    The western edge of the route is in my back yard and I know it well.

You won't be disappointed with this ride.

Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    Rockbottom,
    Nice route!
    The western edge of the route is in my back yard and I know it well.

You won't be disappointed with this ride.

Jason
    I'm planning to do that one Sunday if the weather holds.

Doe anyone know how to contact the coordinators for the Gettysburg event?
    I have a question for them and can't find their information.
    Thanks!
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org