Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

Anybody going? 13-15 April.
    Gettysburg is my hometown and I live just outside of town. While I won't be attending in an official capacity, I'm more than willing (time permitting) to go riding with anybody who's in town.

Wife and I are signed up -- coming up from Northern VA.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Riding Geek

NYC riders coming

My riding buddy & I are heading down from NYC.

I know they have rides planned; I was just throwing it out there that if anybody wanted to "wander around" with a local I'd be there. I'm sure I can squeeze out at least one day for a ride (busy time for me). And of course I like meeting new folks.

I'll play it be ear and we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by laoch View Post
    I know they have rides planned; I was just throwing it out there that if anybody wanted to "wander around" with a local I'd be there. I'm sure I can squeeze out at least one day for a ride (busy time for me). And of course I like meeting new folks.

I'll play it be ear and we'll see what happens.

Ditto. I know every good twisty within 150 mile radius of Gettysburg.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Ditto. I know every good twisty within 150 mile radius of Gettysburg.
    Carlisle, right?

Quote Originally Posted by laoch View Post
    Carlisle, right?
    Yep.

Rally Rat
    We're just across the river in Lancaster County. Anyone wanting to do a covered bridge ride around Lancaster, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    We're just across the river in Lancaster County. Anyone wanting to do a covered bridge ride around Lancaster, let me know.
    Thanks for the offer -- my wife and I would love to do that -- I hope we can figure out how to do it and the MOA-member guided battlefield tour!
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

I'm heading up but prefer to do my own rides, while gathering later with new and old friends. Can you local guys recommend some roads or areas worth targeting? Hitting some covered bridges, Amish country, scenic rides, would be great.
    09 R 1200 GS

and if anyone wonders why, it's because anyone who rides slower than me is a moron, and anyone who rides faster is a lunatic.
    09 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseH View Post
    I'm heading up but prefer to do my own rides, while gathering later with new and old friends. Can you local guys recommend some roads or areas worth targeting? Hitting some covered bridges, Amish country, scenic rides, would be great.

Here's a good day ride. And here's a shorter one that maximizes your chance of running into some buggies.

Last edited by rockbottom; 02-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Riding Geek
    I rode thru the Amish country on my way to the rally last year. Few really nice roads around there.

If I recall Route 183 & Route 30 were the roads I went thru Amish country on. Nice sites & a few curves around the farms.

I didn't make it down to Gettysburg last summer, but did take a run out to Hyner Mt in Northwestern PA. Beautiful roads & a great view from the top. Looks to be about 2-3 hour ride from Gettysburg.

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    I believe I've been on this ride. I highly recommend it...I unfortunately (?) will be south of the border that weekend and will miss this.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
    I rode thru the Amish country on my way to the rally last year. Few really nice roads around there.

If I recall Route 183 & Route 30 were the roads I went thru Amish country on. Nice sites & a few curves around the farms.

I didn't make it down to Gettysburg last summer, but did take a run out to Hyner Mt in Northwestern PA. Beautiful roads & a great view from the top. Looks to be about 2-3 hour ride from Gettysburg.

When people say "Amish country" they often mean the Lancaster area. I don't ride there just because it's too congested and touristified. There are Amish communities all over the middle part of the state.

I would avoid Rt 30 east from Gettysburg all the way to Philadelphia like the plague. The really great section of it is west of Chambersburg, specifically between Fort Loudin and Breezewood. That's the way to go if anyone wants to visit the Flight 93 Memorial. I can provide a route map for that.

Hyner is on Route 120 south of Renovo. That is one of the great rides in the state. I'm not sure what condition it will be in in early April though. I stay away from the part of the state north of I 80 until late April when the highway department gravel has been washed off and the road crews have a chance to deal with the worst of the winter potholes.