Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BMW Resale Values - Questionable?

BMWs are specialty bikes: buying one is a lot of work, and selling one is a lot of work.

It's even more work if the model is a sub-specialty item, such as a sport tourer.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Interesting thread.

BMW values is a complicated question. The range is huge, and offers anything from investment/speculation in the /2 range, to simple transportation economics in the later bikes to downright steals in the middle.

/2's are hideously expensive, and I suspect those values will get even higher.

A /6 or /7 can be had for a song and they are arguably, no almost certainly the best deal in motorcycling today.

A good oilhead/hex head is still "transportation" and will depend more on mileage, service records, condition, etc.

So, take your pick, a BMW for any taste or pocketbook!!

This is an interesting thread. When I was looking for a bike in 2009 to replace an 82 RS I sold in 1993 (boy, was that a mistake!), I kept coming back to the RS model. I looked at ducatis, triumphs, yamahas, and hondas, but it was the BMW sport tourer that I still wanted. The styling of the 2005 and later BMW bikes didn't move me.

I eventually decided on finding the newest twin RS I could get, and found a 2004 1150 RS in Wisconsin that I bought for $7500 and rode home to NYC. In the 3 years I've had it, it hasn't given me a bit of trouble and I love the bike. The honda and yamaha sport tourers were maybe a little cheaper to buy, but they didn't feel as good in the saddle as the BMW. Although my current bike is quite expensive to service at the dealer, so was my 82 RS. While the 82 RS was the sexiest, most beatiful motorcycle I ever owned, the 04 looks pretty damn good too. And it does everything, I mean everything, better. Especially the handling!

So my point is this. I believe there will always be a demand for most types of BMW motorcycles. Once the necessary repairs are made, these bikes will go for many tens of thousands of miles without much drama. I have no doubt that my $7500 04 RS would sell for about that in 10 years from now as long as it well maintained. Heck, a brand new bike also needs to be well maintained too. I don't know of any other brand of motorcycle where there is such a large market for 20 to 30 year old bikes as there are for BMWs.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

From the OP's post ÔÇ£Over the course of the past few months, I've read numerous posts concerning the purported poor resale value of BMW motorcycles... ÔÇ£

I too have read 'numerous posts' complaining about the resale value of BMW motorcycles but they were posts involving complaints about dealer offers as a trade in. People have always complained about what dealers offer. When did you last, or ever, hear a dealer offering more than what somebody was expecting? The market may be improving for dealers yet the economics are still very tight for them.

My observations of private sales is the value of a BMW varies by region and sales venue, with BMW along with H-D holding their values well.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

As many have posted, it does, indeed, boil down to supply and demand. Yes, the supply of BMWs is small compared to the supply of Japanese rides and HDs. However, the demand is also small... possibly smaller than the supply, hence the diminished resale values. As we know, those preferring Beemers are an exclusive minority ;-) Add a crummy economy to that and it makes sense that values drop.

In the case of Harleys, there seems to be a glut of the things on the market in this area (Northeast) at least. So, prices on them are also quite low, especially compared to the (ridiculous) high pricing on new ones.

All great if one is looking to buy!
    Carl

'93 K75RT

The most interesting "resale value" comparison is between a 1984 Airhead and a 1985 K-bike. Can you say twice?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Harley and BMW is a good comparison, in many ways, The new prices are similar, they are able to be ridden for many miles, and most owners do not. BOth of them are upgrading displacement and other things every few years. BMW is 1200 CC HD is 105 CI or something. The trend on resale for BMW is well known and pretty stable. You lose 1/2 the value about every 3 to 4 years, mileage also hurts. I figure when I am ready to sell my RS, I will be best off to part it and sell on ebay or maybe take to the scrap yard. That will be a few more years.

HD the resale trend is falling and no one knows where it will end up. The 07 touring models are very nice for what they do. They can be had now for 1/2 new, if you can get into a real bike auction, not ebay, the dealer only auction. They are still above BMW but I do not think it will be much longer. I really kind of want a good touring HD, and I am looking. The faster I go on my R1150RS the better it feels. A HD does not beg you to speed. You actually can sightsee.

Humm.

Rod

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I too have read 'numerous posts' complaining about the resale value of BMW motorcycles but they were posts involving complaints about dealer offers as a trade in. People have always complained about what dealers offer. When did you last, or ever, hear a dealer offering more than what somebody was expecting? The market may be improving for dealers yet the economics are still very tight for them.
    Exactly- same old story. We get impressions from all the negatives.

Further thoughts on the FD issue- how many owners post when their final drive DOESN'T fail?
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Mongrel Owner

Complex question

Many factors influence resale value both in the short and long terms.
    Right now, the economy is soft (euphemism for "in the crapper") for many, so demand is lower. That's a short term influence (hopefully).
    Long term, demand for Harleys is high, so used prices stay high because everyone wants the real thing. That's why metric cruisers lose value a lot faster.
    BMW does not enjoy the mass poplularity of H-D, but there are enough people willing to pay a premium to enjoy them so that if supply remains limited, prices hold up.
    Having figured out what model of Beemer I wanted, I had to wait for over a year for one to come along at the right price. It had 65,000km on the clock, but more importantly, the gearbox and final drive issues had all been fixed recently. Here in southern Ontario, that kind of mileage would scare off a lot of people - it certainly did when I had to sell the 'Strom I used to ride.
    Based on a lot of ad perusing I would say BMW values hold up nicely compared to the Japanese and Triumph, but still lag behind H-D.
    And yes, dealers will offer you nothing for your trade in, car or bike.
    Cheers,
    Tony

HONDARIDER
    I wonder if Harleys are really holding their value or sellers just imagine they're worth some inflated amount...I have a 2005 Springer Softail Nostalgia with 3000 miles on it...I'm the original owner and the bike is as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line...annual service records...official Motor Company farkles...however, I don't imagine that it's worth half as much as I paid for it. I see guys asking $12K for for a 10 year old FatBoy, but I have my doubts if they're really getting it...isn't the poser cycle craze over yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    I wonder if Harleys are really holding their value or sellers just imagine they're worth some inflated amount...I have a 2005 Springer Softail Nostalgia with 3000 miles on it...I'm the original owner and the bike is as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line...annual service records...official Motor Company farkles...however, I don't imagine that it's worth half as much as I paid for it. I see guys asking $12K for for a 10 year old FatBoy, but I have my doubts if they're really getting it...isn't the poser cycle craze over yet?
    >>isn't the poser cycle craze over yet?<<

No, I fear not BTW, that is a beautiful motorcycle!

new owner

I bought a 2004 1200gt on jan.28,2012. I looked at the sport touring class of all bikes but wanted a Bmw. I had never ridden one, or for that matter, any of the other bikes I researched, meaning I never rode any of the bikes. I read articles, the various member sites and their opinions to decide which bike would be best for me.
    My decision was the bmw but I still was not sure which model and had never rode one. The RT, GT, or RS. I was looking for a used bike with low miles and older models of BMW's are hard to find with low miles. I didn't want to spend more than 6k so that ruled out all the RT's I could find with low miles. I wanted GT but finding one with low miles within my budget was almost impossible. After about 5-6 months of looking on the internet at many different sites, I found my GT with 9920 miles for 7k with new tires and up to date service. Funny thing, it was one of the first bikes I found but were asking much more than I was willing to pay. Wrote the info on a match cover and put it off to the side for a few months, until I called, drove 90 miles and decided that is the one. Even the wife who does not ride, said how nice it was and just go for it and quit looking at bikes on the internet.
    I can't tell you about other manufactures, how they ride or hold there value, but my expereince is that BMW rules. And BMW owners ride their bikes. I live in the northeast and we have had great weather and I am geting aquianted with my new baby, 600 miles so far, but when warmer weather comes, the long rides will come.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    They for sure are not an investment and never have been.
    Most people have that attitude and it perpetuates itself. I've personally done pretty well on cars, motorcycles, and airplanes over the years but it takes a different strategy than thinking your purchase is a disposable toy. If you are flexible about what you purchase and are patient in waiting for the right deal you can enjoy a it for a couple of years and get out of it what you put in to it or sometimes, better. My problem lately has been that I couldn't resist buying a brand new bike - a K16GT. I would have saved a bundle of capital if I'd been able to get happy with a K13GT and wait to pick up a K16 in a year or so from a distressed seller. But dang, they made a bike I just had to own right now. Bastards.