Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW Resale Values - Questionable?

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Likely grousing from those who think a motorcycle is an investment, not a purchase to be enjoyed.
    yeah, prices are down a bit on 10 year old oilheads. just like on everything else that is 10 years old.
    and if you paid full retail at the dealer, and you want to trade it in 2 years later, yeah, you're gonna get hosed.
    prices on used bikes in general have been down since the recession, and will likely stay down for some time to come. i do not see it as a BMW thing, but more as a general condition of the economy thing.
    Exactly. If you are buying new then selling 2 or 3 years later- it isn't going to be fun or good $$

Bought a '93 K1100RS 5 years ago then sold it (stupidly!) 2 years ago. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Moral of the story- if money is important, be patient and look for what you want.....used.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Curmudgeon in training
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
    I find this somewhat perplexing, inasmuch that I was always under the impression that limited availability/unique design and engineering, drives the resale market.
    Basic Econ. Like mentioned in other posts, supply and demand drive resale markets, not unique design. If there's only one of something (it's really unique), but no one wants to buy it, it's not worth anything. No demand.

A motorcycle is a discretionary purchase. In a recession, it's a buyers market when it comes to discretionary items. Right now, it's difficult to get credit unless you don't actually need it (limits demand) and even folks with cash are less likely to part with it for discretionary purchases unless it's a really good deal. That drives prices down.

Where I live there's public transportation, but it's not great, so a car is a necessity. With the bad economy, new cars sales here don't seem to be doing well, but demand is exceeding supply for used cars. It's a sellers market for used cars and the price for good compact and mid-sized cars is going up.

Anyway, long answer for it's about more than just perceived value like unique engineering. Don't forget supply and demand.
    Last edited by alzyck; 02-10-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: darn spelling

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    My comment on the older oilheads 94-2000 .The amount of hastle to lube the clutch splines and cost if you can't /don't do it as discussed here will scare certain folks away from them and lower the price unless you can proove proper maintenence was performed. As for the airheads its pretty much the same,how well/proper it is maintained and mileage will dictate the price.
    I'll bite. I doubt that's true as more people don't belong to this club that would be looking , than do & some of them don't read what you & me do anyway. People buy shine to a large extent. I was waiting on my car(recalled HL's) other day, & looking @ new Volvo's to kill some time in the sun, salesguy says "they have great resale value". I bet they are really rolling off the lot these days???

Harley sales

I went to a friend's house for dinner just before xxxmas and he showed me his new Harley purchase. Beautiful black Road King with all the extras. I thought it was new. Nope. It had just a tick over 5,000 miles on it; never in the rain and always in a heated garage. The bike was 4 years old and my buddy picked it up for $9,000 cash. The economy had been hard on the guy and he wanted a good holiday for his kids; thus the Harley had to go.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Depends on what you buy

I bought a almost new R100rs euro mdl. in 1980. Cost was $5000. I bought a '78 R100rs in 2011. Cost was $4650. Seems they hold their price pretty well. I admit that some don't. I agree with Paul G. ...lots of people needing money right now, lots of bikes on the market. If you are a buyer of anything, motorcycles, real estate, etc. it's a good time to buy.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Buying new

I ordered my RT from the dealer while home on leave from a deployment to Iraq and picked it up when I got home. I paid full price but I got exactly what I want and intend to keep it for a loooong time.

Look in any Motorcycle Trader magazine. It's definitely a buyers market.
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Quote Originally Posted by rsbeemer View Post
    I bought a almost new R100rs euro mdl. in 1980. Cost was $5000. I bought a '78 R100rs in 2011. Cost was $4650. Seems they hold their price pretty well.
    Let's see, factor in inflation over 31 years - sure, holds the $ amount but not the value of that same $...
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Okay, since no one else dares mention it: Harley's hold their value way better than BMW's.

As mentioned previously, one reason is BMW keeps improving their models, making the older ones less desirable.

And apparently chrome holds its value more than better brakes and handling.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

resale

Quote Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
    Greetings all,

Over the course of the past few months, I've read numerous posts concerning the purported poor resale value of BMW motorcycles...

I've not personally witnessed this, and quite frankly, I was/am surprised to learn of this. BMW automobiles have relatively high/strong resale values. Im a bit confused. Yeah, I know, apples and oranges, but given the brand name, there should be some similarities...

I find this somewhat perplexing, inasmuch that I was always under the impression that limited availability/unique design and engineering, drives the resale market. The last I checked, BMW motorcycles are not omnipresent...

I'd appreciate some input concerning this matter.

Is there some truth to this?

Tks/Best,

BB

Word is filtering out all over about the concerns of the failing final drives. That hurts the resale to knowledgeable riders. It's not all the rare for someone to joke about BMW final drive failures over at the MTForum, a group of IBA riders/Long distance and knowledgeable folks. No doubt, they have many to ask them about which bikes to purchase.

BMW riders have lots to say about FD failures. It's just a matter of time until the word gets back/has gotten back, to motorcycle buyers.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 175887 View Post

The first BMW I saw was in 1975 or there about. The odo read 240000+/- miles, so it's been a while since the rolling odo resulted in a "low-mileage " vehicle.
    no odometers on bmws, prior to the K series beginning in 1985, had a hundred thousand counter. we had to add a "label maker" digit to the side of the odo to indicate that the odo had been "rolled over".
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Okay, since no one else dares mention it: Harley's hold their value way better than BMW's.

As mentioned previously, one reason is BMW keeps improving their models, making the older ones less desirable.

And apparently chrome holds its value more than better brakes and handling.

Harry
    that used to be the case, but not so since 2003 or so. prior to that time, H-D kept quantities available artificially low, increasing demand. with the release of the 100th Anniversary editions, H-D began cranking out increasing numbers of bikes, dropping the resale value. in fact, many buyers grabbed up those 100th Anniv editions, thinking that tehy would become great collector models. but since they flooded the market with them, their resale has not been the stuff of dreams envisioned by "the faithful."
    the reason that helps H-Ds maintain greater value is that the vast majority of them are garage (and trailer) queens, with very low mileage, whereas most BMWs get ridden. and ridden. and ridden.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I've been tracking BMWs in the NE on Ebay for the last few months. This might be the norm, but it seems like most bids end without the reserve price being met. Maybe it's just the time of year, but as someone posted earlier, it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it.
    Will
    87 K100RS

Ride well my friends!

HONDARIDER
    I shop for motorcycles on Craigslist every day of my life and I read every listing for every make within 200 miles of my house. If anything, my experience has been that BMW prices don't drop nearly as much as other manufacturers...certainly not as much as I would like. If you compare apples to apples...bikes of similar condition, mileage, and age...and then look at percentage of depreciation from the original sticker price...BMW comes way out on top in my opinion. Not to mention that most folks won't go near a Japanese bike with 50,000 miles on the clock while BMWs still command a premium. I've been shopping for an R1100S for a year and can't find a clean, low mileage example for under $7000. Of course, I've never bought a bike with any thought for resale value. I buy them to ride them and freely accept that there's a cost associated with the joy they bring. I actually wish the cost of admission was lower...I'd have 10 of them.

hondaguy- take a look over on http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...0s-tech-forum/. plenty of discussion on Ss for sale, including likely examples for ya. good luck!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think it depends more on the local situation than anything else. Where I live, it's difficult to sell anything European. The closest European car dealer is 75 miles away and the closest European motorcycle dealer is 150 miles away. The market here is Chevrolet, Ford, Harley, Honda and Toyota. The only farm or lawn equipment that is valuable and easy to sell is painted green. European vehicles are highly regarded but the folks around here fear the expense and availability of repairs.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.