Thread: 1150GS running hot ?

SNOONE

Question 1150GS running hot ?

Can anyone out there give me some insight on this question. I have a 2002 1150GS. Rode the hour and a half into NYC this morning for the first time. Finally a day in the upper 70's here in the northeast and no rain. My question is: How hot is hot when you are in stop and go traffic. Is it normal for the oil guage to be two clicks from the max reading. I presume that if I get out of traffic the oil temp will go back to normal as the oil cooler does its job.

Re: 1150GS running hot ?

Originally posted by snoone
    Can anyone out there give me some insight on this question. I have a 2002 1150GS. Rode the hour and a half into NYC this morning for the first time. Finally a day in the upper 70's here in the northeast and no rain. My question is: How hot is hot when you are in stop and go traffic. Is it normal for the oil guage to be two clicks from the max reading. I presume that if I get out of traffic the oil temp will go back to normal as the oil cooler does its job.
    The typical/normal oil temp reading for Oilheads is 5 bars on the R.I.D.
    I have noticed my GS will warm up to 6 bars if, say, I come off a spirited run in the country or the interstate but, as you said, it drops again down to 5 bars when I get rolling.
    Your temps seem a little high, however. If the bars are getting into the red area, you've got problems. If not, I wouldn't worry about it but it might be worth a call to your dealer.

This week our temps have been in the mid- to upper-80's. My 1150GS will stay at 5 bars if I keep moving but as soon as I encounter traffic it will reach 6 bars, sometimes 7 bars if the traffic is partcularly slow. Given enough miles at speed, it always drops back to 5 bars.

I'll be doing the 12K service pretty soon, at which time I'll pour in some quality full synthetic oil (I've been running a blend) and not worry about the heat unless it starts running 7 or more bars all the time.
    Last edited by HarveyMushman; 06-12-2003 at 02:42 PM.

Originally posted by HarveyMushman
    This week our temps have been in the mid- to upper-80's. My 1150GS will stay at 5 bars if I keep moving but as soon as I encounter traffic it will reach 6 bars, sometimes 7 bars if the traffic is partcularly slow. Given enough miles at speed, it always drops back to 5 bars.
    Exact behavior of my RT quoted above, except the RT has been doing this in 90 to 100 degree temps. I'm using Amsoil 20w-50 btw.

7-8 bars in stop-n-go traffic is not unusual on a warm day. If it heads much north of there, I'd probably pull over and shut down for a little while. Too bad you guys can't legally split lanes there.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.