Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NHTSA Opens Investgation

"Federal law requires automakers to tell NHTSA within five business days after determining there is a safety problem or other matter that means vehicles don't comply with the laws."

Hmmm.... The one recall I had to take care of (brake lines) while owning my bike came about six months after the same campaign was made public in Germany.
    Harald
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Thank you for posting,....it's about bloody well time!

Will zap my FD failure info to NHTSA as well as a correspondence to my WI Senator & Congressman.

This is not about attacking BMW - it's about them not taking responsibility for flawed engineering they've known about for years and have still not resolved (failures have occurred in current models).

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Wow Kevin!

Your letter reads like it was written by a Havard trained lawyer. A very good letter; succinct and covers the relevant points. Guess all that time sitting in court rooms rubbed off on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    If you go to the NHTSA ODI web site you can see the correspondence that resulted in this investigation. The author did an outstanding job clearly stating his case.

Other serious problems exist that are NOT currently under investigation by the Feds. These include the fuel pump flange leaks and rear wheel flange cracks. Individuals with those defects need to send a defect petition to NHTSA similar to the one that initiated this investigation.
    I am pleased to read the OP but he makes one error in the summation. The NHTSA opened their inquiry with the first letter in 2001. The status of that inquiry changed.

Kevin your letter and the follow up suggestions have great merit. I have been fortunate not to have the problem to date. I have been told as such I don't have 'standing' as such. I am surprised by two things. That in eleven years there are only 145 letters referred to. ( I believe more will be relieved in a follow up pending update) The second that for all the grousing by various people on the forum you all are just getting around to sending in a letter.

I wish the MOA had lobbied and monitored the NHTSA inquiry. I wish BMW would have come up with a solution. I wish all the grousers had written sooner. There seems to be plenty of us to look at and say 'It's about time' too.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Hammam

And a copy to BMW?

And how about sending copies of whatever you send to the NHTSA to BMW USA and BMW headquarters in Germany? As well as replies, if any, from the NHTSA?

na1g
    For purpose of comparison:

Just yesterday there was an AP news release in my local newspaper stating that NHTSA had opened an investigation of over 800,000 2007 Toyota Camrys and RAV4s for potential fire in the driver's door. No injuries. No recall yet. Seems a window control switch could catch fire, but get this: they had received 6 (yes, six) complaints out of 800,000 vehicles and that was enough to trigger an investigation. Seems like Toyota is under the gun, BMW motorcycles are not.

pete

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    For purpose of comparison:

Just yesterday there was an AP news release in my local newspaper stating that NHTSA had opened an investigation of over 800,000 2007 Toyota Camrys and RAV4s for potential fire in the driver's door. No injuries. No recall yet. Seems a window control switch could catch fire, but get this: they had received 6 (yes, six) complaints out of 800,000 vehicles and that was enough to trigger an investigation. Seems like Toyota is under the gun, BMW motorcycles are not.

pete
    That may soon change.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Interesting little article.. might make BMW want to rethink their policies on motorcycle recalls:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...eports-nhtsa/1
    Autoblog has reported the same item. But what is most disturbing is BMW's statement that all but one of the late filings involved motorcycles. BMW seems to be saying that motorcycles are not important and that BMW automobile consumers shouldn't worry since their recalls are reported in a timely manner.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

I searched a bit and found the NHTSA press release which gives a list of the late/incomplete recalls. It seems that several of them are car-related. As a BMW motorcycle owner, I was feeling ignored, because all the news reports of the fines listed the car models involved, but none of the affected bikes.

WILDPIG
    i have contacted bmw -- berlin as in germany, as in the hosses mouth, -- telling them {corporate bmw} about the issues concerns final drives etc... --and the response from BMW CORPORATE WORLD WIDE AS IN BERLIN FATORY HEAD QUARTERS -- well the response has been EXACTLY WHAT I EXPECTED -- DEAD SILENCE......... I think my chances of getting a reply from BMW are remote to non existenant............................ i'll go furhter and say this is bmw's modus oprandi..

drank the bmw koolaid once --wont drink it again.................

Since this is not Hexhead specific - I'm moving it to Motorrad, and considering merging any other threads on the same subject..

Hang on..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche