Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011: The Report

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by mogu83 View Post
    For some demented reason it still amazes me that the ATMs in Canada pay out in Canadian money.
    Harry
    Hey Harry, I'm always amazed that American ATMs always pay out money all in the same colour green; no blues, purples, browns, reds, etc.

Glad that you got home safely with that rear drive leaking seal.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Hey Harry, I'm always amazed that American ATMs always pay out money all in the same colour green; no blues, purples, browns, reds, etc.

Glad that you got home safely with that rear drive leaking seal.
    Just try and use Canadian money at a vendor at an MOA rally In Bloomsburg I told them that if they do they can make a few EXTRA cents on the dollar Cripes you'd think I was givin' them Canadian Tire Money!

.... now back to our regularly scheduled program - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

... We were hoping that Rita would join us for bit but she was away. The manager said that next year (2012) we could likely get a photo-op. We'll see. So, as we venture in, with lots of ATGATT.

Texas shows us how it's done....

A group picture in front of the Tea Room is arriving shortly and I will inject it back into this post.

- Bob
    Last edited by tourunigo; 02-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Onward to Louisbourg and the first night of camping (on the road). Although campfires are not allowed (town limits) a great time was had at http://louisbourg.com/motorhomepark/

What great hosts they have been to us from the beginning!! Group pricing and wonderful hospitality. Walk to restaurants, beer and live theater. The live theater is a highlight on the journey.

Next..... food and theater and tomorrow the Fortress
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Off to supper at the Lobster Kettle.

Not that I want to suggest that there is anything mystical about this tour but...

Then to some live theater at the Louisbourg Playhouse. A Night In A Cape Breton Kitchen. This is a wonderful introduction to the music and stories of magical Cape Breton Island[/SIZE][/B]

...and to cap off the night, a few calls to loved ones.... in a room set aside for us to gather.

Last edited by tourunigo; 02-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

"phone'in home" to tell'em about the BIG slice-a-pie he didn't order at Rita's! See him look'in at it about 10 pics back... "the pie is large along the shore of lake Big Bras d Or" ... just sayin! .. he gets style points at "tea sipp'in" though!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Then to some live theater at the Louisbourg Playhouse. A Night In A Cape Breton Kitchen. This is a wonderful introduction to the music and stories of magical Cape Breton Island[/SIZE][/B]
    Not high quality video, and a different fiddle player (we heard Rachel Davis and not Beverly MacLean) who is in this clip, but this was the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vqq5F6LkCg
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Not high quality video, and a different fiddle player (we heard Rachel Davis and not Beverly MacLean) who is in this clip, but this was the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vqq5F6LkCg
    2010 was a funny show. Lot of comedy in that one. The story telling coupled with the music makes two hours literally fly by. (BTW, the woman playing guitar and sitting on that 'drum box' above is the the 'old lady' dancing at the beginning of the video). And the intermission oat cake and tea was a great touch. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

(BTW, the woman playing guitar and sitting on that 'drum box' above is the the 'old lady' dancing at the beginning of the video). And the intermission oat cake and tea was a great touch. - Bob
    That's Erin Martell, skinny girl, she has to run around in the shower to get wet. We heard her in 2009, and Jennifer Roland played fiddle in '09.

One of these years, I want to find Natalie McMaster at a Cape Breton show or Ceilidh. I've loved her playing for at least 15 years.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

For those who were interested, Fortress Louisbourg is a magnificent reconstruction and reenactment.

Backgrounder:

Quoted from The Fortress Louisbourg Association ( http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/Overview/mid/12 ): "The Fortress of Louisbourg is the largest reconstruction project in North America. The original settlement was founded in 1713 by the French and developed over several decades into a thriving center for fishing and trade. Fortified against the threat of British invasion during the turbulent time of empire-building, Louisbourg was besieged twice before finally being destroyed in the 1760s." "So come experience living history at the Fortress Louisbourg. You can explore on your own, take a guided tour, or view daily demonstrations of music, dancing, cooking, military drills, and much more. Take home a taste of the past with bread from the King’s Bakery and sweets from the Destouches Coffee Shop. You can even purchase 18th century replica gifts and Fortress memorabilia from our 1744 Boutiques."

(note: some Salty Fog archives pics mixed in. Thanks to Tom McGee for many archives)

You can enter..... after a few questions to be sure that you are not enemies.

.. after a visit to the Fortress (or any other venue that may be of interest i.e. Glace Bay Miners Museum and Tour (http://www.minersmuseum.com/), Marconi Museum (http://cbwireless.ednet.ns.ca/cbwirelessp5.html) , Bell Museum in Baddeck (http://www.visitbaddeck.com/attractions/bell.html) etc) , we arrange to meet at the second nights stay at the North Sydney KOA (http://www.koansct.com/ ) at the foot of the Cabot Trail (east side).
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

I'm not finished exploring Louisbourg yet, Bob. I told Joanne at the Tavern that I'd be back.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I'm not finished exploring Louisbourg yet, Bob. I told Joanne at the Tavern that I'd be back.
    So, do I send that 2012 registration form now or just wait a while? Ya cannot disappoint Joanne eh? The Fortress is huge and being able to stop an talk with those who work there (in period) is great fun indeed. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

.... and onward to the Cabot Trail
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

An observation...

Harry looks as though... if they gave him a hat & musket he belonged there!
    And say thats a "wry" grin on Tom's face....

The Fortress is huge and being able to stop an talk with those who work there (in period) is great fun indeed. - Bob
    The sparse crowds there after Labor Day really helps with this. Harry and Dennis and I kept the gate guard busy answering questions for a good twenty minutes, until the next bus arrived. It was the same for the guy playing the guitar. I found out he plays bass in a band and we talked about the musicians at the Playhouse. He had not seen their show, but he knows them all and gave me some background. The fiddle player we heard, Rachel Davis, is from Baddeck and she learned from her grandfather who had a barber shop.
    http://www.musicnovascotia.ca/racheldavis

-Tom (KA1TOX)