Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

I want brackets that locate driving lights as in the photos below. I will check with my dealer to see if RT-P brackets can be mounted on an RT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Dean - Tucson, Arizona - BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm -- Friend of the Marque
    MSF Chief Instructor (1994) - Over 500,000 BMW miles (805,000 km)
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

Please let us know what the dealer says! For those that want under mirror lights, the radar antenna mount looks like it could be adapted for the same job (the white circular thing under the mirror on the right side is the actual radar antenna).
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Attempt expected

Just talked with Jim Strang, GM at Iron Horse Motorcycles, Tucson.

He has ordered police brackets. The next step will be dropping off my R1200RT for him and his team to work on to see how it can be done. They service RT-Ps routinely for area police departments. Next week may be trial time. I am the willing to provide my RT for experimental purposes. If it works, the results and pix will be posted here first.

And if it works, Iron Horse could do it for any R1200RT owner.

I will photograph the entire process of installation. I just happen to have a pair of NOS PIAA lights (see photo).

I was hoping they might have a totaled RT-P to pick parts from, but that was not to be. Apparently all the LE departments in the area have Iron Horse fix their RT-Ps back up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BMWDEAN; 02-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

That's great, I can't wait to see if it will work! I have to imagine that the RT-P brackets should easily screw/bolt onto the sub assembly near the mirror mounts. I don't think that BMW would make the sub assembly different for non-P models. Do you have the part # and price for the brackets? If this turns out to be a simple install, I'm going to mount a pair of the Denali D2 LEDs from Twisted Throttle up there for extra deer spotting ability at night.
    Craig
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    That's great, I can't wait to see if it will work! I have to imagine that the RT-P brackets should easily screw/bolt onto the sub assembly near the mirror mounts. I don't think that BMW would make the sub assembly different for non-P models. Do you have the part # and price for the brackets? If this turns out to be a simple install, I'm going to mount a pair of the Denali D2 LEDs from Twisted Throttle up there for extra deer spotting ability at night.
    Before you spend money on RT-P brackets, let's first see if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDEAN View Post
    Just talked with Jim Strang, GM at Iron Horse Motorcycles, Tucson.

He has ordered police brackets. The next step will be dropping off my R1200RT for him and his team to work on to see how it can be done. They service RT-Ps routinely for area police departments. Next week may be trial time. I am the willing to provide my RT for experimental purposes. If it works, the results and pix will be posted here first.

And if it works, Iron Horse could do it for any R1200RT owner.

I will photograph the entire process of installation. I just happen to have a pair of NOS PIAA lights (see photo).

I was hoping they might have a totaled RT-P to pick parts from, but that was not to be. Apparently all the LE departments in the area have Iron Horse fix their RT-Ps back up.
    Hi Jeff,

I'm almost positive those brackets will work. The only thing is they'll most likely have to cut out some plastic where the mirror and other bits fit together. That's the way the RT-P's look here in Charlotte. Someone else posted some pics from an install he did himself and he took out some plastic with a dremel tool...

looked like factory...still it's painful to think someone might start drilling holes in our bikes!
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Please let us know what the dealer says! For those that want under mirror lights, the radar antenna mount looks like it could be adapted for the same job (the white circular thing under the mirror on the right side is the actual radar antenna).
    Your correct, in fact, it's a Golden Eagle. Good RADAR but the Stalker is better. The small round lens under the right emergency light is the camera system
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

phiotos

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I'm almost positive those brackets will work. The only thing is they'll most likely have to cut out some plastic where the mirror and other bits fit together. That's the way the RT-P's look here in Charlotte. Someone else posted some pics from an install he did himself and he took out some plastic with a dremel tool...
    Could you send me privately or post the photos?

Thanks!

Don't get too hyper about LED long range lights. The reality is that if you want really long reach you need HID (not well suited for hi beam tie in for traffic dip and slow to restart after dimming) or a halogen with a decent reflector (eg the FF50).

LED output, of even the newest highest power single LEDs is only about 900 lumens (vs over 3000 for HID and 2100 for the Osram 65W H-7, for example). And ganging 3 of them to match the output of other types WILL NOT match the reach of the others due to limits of LED lens design.
    The reach of the best single LED ones is capable of adding some fill in close and out to the reach of a good HID LOW beam but not more. More reach than that needs other stuff.

My setup is HID low beams, a pair of the 10W LED types (VisionX very similar to the Twisted Throttle D2) under the oil cooler (add some fill but serve primarily as superb conspicuity lights) and FF50s with the Osram 65W H-7 wired to my hi beam switch (plus a 3rd 65W Osram in the hi beam slot). Simple setup and more than ample for anything. About 14,300 lumens when everything is on.
    If I wanted more reach it would take HIDs in place of the FF50s but the halogens give better color and depth perception due to their filament temp (what it takes to differentiate Bambi from the roadside trees unless you catch an eye reflection) - its not all about absolute output. Besides, there aren't any first class smaller (4") HIDs that are suitable for the pendant mounting in BMR mounts that I use. Larger HIDs create issues with finding an adequate bracket on an RT though not for a GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    Your correct, in fact, it's a Golden Eagle. Good RADAR but the Stalker is better. The small round lens under the right emergency light is the camera system
    No experience with the Stalker RADAR, only Decatur, which is another decent unit. Any idea on the specifics of the camera system? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.
    Craig
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Don't get too hyper about LED long range lights. The reality is that if you want really long reach you need HID (not well suited for hi beam tie in for traffic dip and slow to restart after dimming) or a halogen with a decent reflector (eg the FF50).

LED output, of even the newest highest power single LEDs is only about 900 lumens (vs over 3000 for HID and 2100 for the Osram 65W H-7, for example). And ganging 3 of them to match the output of other types WILL NOT match the reach of the others due to limits of LED lens design.
    The reach of the best single LED ones is capable of adding some fill in close and out to the reach of a good HID LOW beam but not more. More reach than that needs other stuff.

My setup is HID low beams, a pair of the 10W LED types (VisionX very similar to the Twisted Throttle D2) under the oil cooler (add some fill but serve primarily as superb conspicuity lights) and FF50s with the Osram 65W H-7 wired to my hi beam switch (plus a 3rd 65W Osram in the hi beam slot). Simple setup and more than ample for anything. About 14,300 lumens when everything is on.
    If I wanted more reach it would take HIDs in place of the FF50s but the halogens give better color and depth perception due to their filament temp (what it takes to differentiate Bambi from the roadside trees unless you catch an eye reflection) - its not all about absolute output. Besides, there aren't any first class smaller (4") HIDs that are suitable for the pendant mounting in BMR mounts that I use. Larger HIDs create issues with finding an adequate bracket on an RT though not for a GS.

Very good points. Which HID low beam system are you running? I'm about to pull the trigger on the 1offmotorsports HID kit for the low beams. Also, which type of beam pattern do you have with the Vision X LEDs, spot, flood or a combo of both? My experience with LEDs is mostly limited to flashlights, although the lens technology would probably translate to higher powered lights like the Denalis and Vision X products.
    Craig
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Very good points. Which HID low beam system are you running? I'm about to pull the trigger on the 1offmotorsports HID kit for the low beams. Also, which type of beam pattern do you have with the Vision X LEDs, spot, flood or a combo of both? My experience with LEDs is mostly limited to flashlights, although the lens technology would probably translate to higher powered lights like the Denalis and Vision X products.
    Yes, Racer7 makes good points and I've conversed with him before about lighting. I recently purchased a set of LED driving lights at www.advmonster.com They're the model 30's which claim to produce 1500 lumens. A lot of folks over at advrider.com have used these lights with positive comments and results. These lights have 3 seperate LEDs and a spot beam pattern. They are not to be confused with HID kits but they do throw a decent amount of light down the road.

I'm thinking of mounting these down low on my forks with maybe Lumalink mounts and using the HiViz yellow tinted lens covers (Xpel) I purchased with them or underneath the nose/ oil cooler area with ezymount brackets.

I do like the idea of the Hella FF50's under the mirrors with Osram 65w bulbs in them. They come with 55w bulbs which aren't too shabby. I haven't ruled a 1offmotorsports HID kit out just yet but some riders have had some issues with them. Maybe I'll swap out all three 55w headlight bulbs with 3 Osrams ...

It is true that most LED kits on the market today have some limitations but a select few brands have made great progress in producing some pretty bright lights. All the brands you mentioned are good as well as my advmonsters and Rigid Industries. The latter being made in the USA !
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

BTW, there's another light manufacturer out there on the market which looks promising. I stmbled uopn them while searching light mounts at the Lumalink site.

www.lazerstar.net

They claim to be made in the USA and offer HID, Halogen, and LED kits. Does anyone have any experience with this company?
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDEAN View Post
    Could you send me privately or post the photos?

Thanks!
    Yes, I'll see if I can find that posting.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

the 1offmotorsports kit is what I use and it works well. I prefer the 4300K verson, not the the 6000K.
    Do be careful with your light sockets if swapping. The plastic socket connector on the bike is a junk part that gets very brittle with het and you will crack it up if not gentle. Theere are ceramic aftermarket replacements available (about $7 each IIRC) should you need one.
    Install will take you a couple hours if you're not used to working with the lights, 45 min or so if you are.

If you have enough experience with LED flashlights you're already familiar with the lens design of the LED bike lights- same thing. The Vision X I use are 20 degree beam. 10 would give a little bit more reach at the expense of fill. Wider than 20 would generally be as a fog light equivalent (for distance only, the beam would lack the sharp upper cutoff of a true fog) or perhaps off road to see more width at slower speeds. I've built hi power custom flashlights of various types so have messed with LEDs for a long time- they're still not good substitutes for halogens or HID in many applications- their light output quality and quantity is OK only for some uses but their primary attraction for many bikes is low power consumption- which is N/A for an RT that makes more juice than some cars. The long possible bulb life doesn't hurt but the when they die it means a new one rather than a bulb replacement. Many failures will not be the LED itself but the voltage and current control circuitry they require that is built into the lamp housing. The hours of life quoted for the LED is a deliberately misleading bit of info supplied by makers because it very probably will not be what dies eventually unless the overall design is so poor that it runs at elevated temps- nothing kills an LED faster than a bit too much heat..