Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

Can't seem to break away from my desire to add more light to my RT.

I saw some PIAA's the other day surfing around on Amazon. Has anyone ever tried the P 3000 tri beams or the P 4000 Quattro's mounted on their bike? I know the Quattro's are primarily for trucks and SUV's but that shouldn't stop someone from trying them on a bike.

By the time I finish with an HID install, HP LED's and maybe some more PIAA's or Hella's I could be called upon in an emergency to light up the runway at the airport!

BTW, I know that adding all this light would be massive overkill. I would only fire em all up at the same time with little or no traffic on my way to work. I leave the house at 0 dark 30 and I want to melt a few deer on the way.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46055 - as might seem obvious, auxiliary lights will vary depending on the model you're hanging them on. Hopefully this will get some RT owners in to help out. I've added it to your thread title.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Hi Brian;

I installed HID low beams on my Rt and then added a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights. The FF50s are very nice and light up the world pretty well and only draw 35 watts which is about 3 amps.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Skene Design

You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.
    I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.
    I suppose you're right. I am rarely on the road at night, so having extra light on the road has not a lot of meaning for me.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

BMW LED driving light

Can anyone with BMW LED DRIVING LIGHTs comment on beam patern?

I've been looking for lights also and see for the R1200GS Adventure and K1600GT a LED lamp that looks to have a "projector" lens and look quite robust.
    Ref part #'s 63177721320 for the Adv or 63178522487 for the 6 GT. Price is good at $153 - 157 for a pair.

Do they just light the curb for conspicuity? Or do they have a real driving beam that throws serious light 1/4 mile down the road?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Aux light above mirrors

I used to have driving lights mounted about the mirrors on me R1100RT and R1150RT. You can seem them in this photo:

The brackets I used on them do not fit the R1200RT and I have not found a source for above-the-mirror brackets for the R1200RT.

Does anyone know where I could acquire brackets for mounting driving lights above R1200RT mirrors? I am desperate!
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Quote Originally Posted by Ken E View Post

I've been looking for lights also and see for the R1200GS Adventure and K1600GT a LED lamp that looks to have a "projector" lens and look quite robust.
    Ref part #'s 63177721320 for the Adv or 63178522487 for the 6 GT. Price is good at $153 - 157 for a pair.

Do they just light the curb for conspicuity? Or do they have a real driving beam that throws serious light 1/4 mile down the road?

Thanks.
    Don't know if they are different on the 1600, but on my GSA they are not road blasters, more close up illumination. They do have a very thick lens.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDEAN View Post
    The brackets I used on them do not fit the R1200RT and I have not found a source for above-the-mirror brackets for the R1200RT.

Does anyone know where I could acquire brackets for mounting driving lights above R1200RT mirrors? I am desperate!
    Jeff, I would like to mount auxiliary lights above through mirrors as well, and like you haven't been able to locate a source for a bracket. I've been thinking that since the R1200RT-P has its LED emergency lights mounted there it may be possible to somehow use those brackets with an auxiliary driving light. I'd like to mount a small HID or LED like the Denali D2s up above the mirrors. Anyone used the authority light brackets for this?
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

I am also looking to add lights to my 2010 RT. Want to mount them inside the oil cooler housing or on the brake calipers. I'm a bit electrically challenged and don't know where to begin in making a lighting choice, an d wiring set-up. I'd like them to be wired with my low beams so they run all the time. Don't know how to do that either. I;'m already using the accessory socket for my GPS. Are there alternative "plug ins" for the wiring harness and is this something I should attempt (see above disclaimer on electrical acuity)

Same goes for selecting mounting brackets.

I'm feeling a bit lost... Any help?
    Lawrence
    2010 R1200 RT
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    http://lawrence-throughthevisor.blogspot.com/

mblanco

mounts

I have seen these posted on this site:

http://www.ezymount.com/

and these

http://lumalink.com/

I wll contact lunalink, but I didn't see anything in its photos.

I want like ABOVE the rear view mirrors.

RT-P brackets might be worth considering. I will check that out.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Quote Originally Posted by mblanco View Post
    I have seen these posted on this site:

http://www.ezymount.com/

and these

http://lumalink.com/
    Yes, ezymount has what you're looking for but they're temporarily out of stock for the 2010 model

I've looked at Lumalink but they don't advertise prices unless you go through the process of ordering some mounts. That spells $$$ to me...

Anybody out there using Lumalink mounts can tell us a price?

PIAA also sells a bracket much like the ezymount which places the light underneath the nose/headlight area.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Ken E View Post

Thanks.
    I found what looks like those lights at Sierra BMW, for $710.63 for the kit. They are the same as on the GSA. I could not find any lights with those Ref #s. The ones on my GSA seem to light the void between the bike and were the headlight beam hits the road. I find I ride with them on all the time, friends have told me they see me a mile away. Good luck with your choice. no part # it is called LED Driving light kit