Thread: My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

Hybrid View

My auxiliary light obsession 2010 RT

Can't seem to break away from my desire to add more light to my RT.

I saw some PIAA's the other day surfing around on Amazon. Has anyone ever tried the P 3000 tri beams or the P 4000 Quattro's mounted on their bike? I know the Quattro's are primarily for trucks and SUV's but that shouldn't stop someone from trying them on a bike.

By the time I finish with an HID install, HP LED's and maybe some more PIAA's or Hella's I could be called upon in an emergency to light up the runway at the airport!

BTW, I know that adding all this light would be massive overkill. I would only fire em all up at the same time with little or no traffic on my way to work. I leave the house at 0 dark 30 and I want to melt a few deer on the way.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Please read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46055 - as might seem obvious, auxiliary lights will vary depending on the model you're hanging them on. Hopefully this will get some RT owners in to help out. I've added it to your thread title.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Hi Brian;

I installed HID low beams on my Rt and then added a pair of Hella FF50 driving lights. The FF50s are very nice and light up the world pretty well and only draw 35 watts which is about 3 amps.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Skene Design

You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    You might take a look at Skene Design lights. The P3 lights go on the rear and the Photon Blasters to the front. Not expensive (discount for safety course) and they have a subtle flicker which my cager friends tell me is "annoying." See: www.skenedesign.com

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with this company except for the fact that I own the lights and have them installed on my R1200RT.
    I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    I like P3's for the rear aux brake light but if I'm spending that kind of money for lights on the front, they might as well actually cast some useful light down range.
    I suppose you're right. I am rarely on the road at night, so having extra light on the road has not a lot of meaning for me.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    I believe that you are mixing apples & oranges here, Nighttime lighting often is in need of enhancement specifically for daytime use. Lights for seeing often have different characteristics than lights used for being seen.

The Skeene Photon blasters on my bike are adjusted as much as possible so as to hit oncoming drivers directly in their eyes. With the flicker, amber color and this adjustment they seem to work very well. They do not blind oncoming drivers, but they do get attention. While the Skeene lights are good at night I believe that the daytime is where they excel.

Fog lights, pencil beam lights headlights & whatever should not be aimed into the eyes of oncoming drivers day or night. When aimed as they should be (low) by virtue of this they don't have the eye catching conspicuity (hope I spelled that right) of the Skene LED's particularly in the day season.

Old time thought was that mounting fog lights as low as possible below the driver's eye level avoided (as much as possible) the straight back reflection of the beam from the water molecule bearing fog. Higher mounting for other situations seems to be a big advantage.