Thread: Gopro camera question

Gopro camera question

Hope this is the right place in forum to ask. Any comments/suggestions on Gopro camera.

Quote Originally Posted by buck23 View Post
    Hope this is the right place in forum to ask. Any comments/suggestions on Gopro camera.
    Hi Buck, actually the question will do better in the Gear section so I'll move it on over for you. There are actually quite a few threads on the Gopro. If you type Gopro into the search forum box in the upper right hand corner and hit search. you'll have a start. Good luck, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Go to you tube, hundreds of videos that will give you an idea of it's capabilities.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buck23 View Post
    Buy the 2.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Buy the 2.

What he said, I had JUST purchased the hd when the 2 was released, I sold it as soon as I saw the 2, and picked up the 2. MAIN reason the narrower FOV, as I am not a fan of the BIG fish eye effect on the street. It works in the woods and skiing, just washes some of the features that make a road interesting.

This is why you should buy the 2. The original model isn't fast enough and the result is wavy video when there is motion.

Example at the beginning of this short clip when the wind blows. Make it full screen at 1080p to see how annoying it can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnTGFhcudA0

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Lots of info and help on the GoPro user forum too.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Moondog
    My fellow rider has one and I have experienced some issues with it, not mechanical wise but operational. The light that tells you if it is recording or not is on the front of the GoPro and when one is riding and you want to turn it on or off, you can't tell because the light is facing forward. He has it mounted in front of him on the fairing or he has it mounted on his helmet. My friend turns it on and off on the fly so there is a question of whether it is recording or not. He says it doesn't bother him too much but he is not the one being asked to come around front at a stop sign to see if the light is on and it is recording.

Also we have found out if you are riding into the sun where it is more in front of you then overhead, it washes the video out. So be mindful of where the sun is.

The recording time is good and the battery lasts also. The video is good, but if you want to post a video on Youtube with music, the video Nazis will watch for copyrighted music and kill the music for you. Most music is copyrighted so it's another issue.

Once I get working again, I am going to look for another camcorder where the controls and lights are layed out better or if GoPro modifies theirs I'll go with that one.

All that said it is a good product just some fine tuning needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    This is why you should buy the 2. The original model isn't fast enough and the result is wavy video when there is motion.

Example at the beginning of this short clip when the wind blows. Make it full screen at 1080p to see how annoying it can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnTGFhcudA0
    That was a good example, Tom. I had never seen (or noticed) that effect before.

I've done some video using the capabilities of my P&S camera but am seriously considering a video camera for a trip to Colorado. Any recommendations for the accessories that will make a difference? I've been thinking the LCD screen that attaches to the back would be nice, along with an extra battery or two. Any thoughts?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    if you want to post a video on Youtube with music, the video Nazis will watch for copyrighted music and kill the music for you.
    They don't always do that. Sometimes, they will insert a link to buy the track. Sometimes, they'll tag it as copyrighted and leave it alone, especially if it's an obscure track.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    That was a good example, Tom. I had never seen (or noticed) that effect before.

I've done some video using the capabilities of my P&S camera but am seriously considering a video camera for a trip to Colorado. Any recommendations for the accessories that will make a difference? I've been thinking the LCD screen that attaches to the back would be nice, along with an extra battery or two. Any thoughts?
    I bought the LCD screen and it makes a huge difference. Battery time is pretty decent and I haven't felt the need for a second battery.

The GoPro 1 is still useful, even though the video doesn't impress me. The sequential still shots every 2 seconds are pretty cool. I'll buy a v.2 model when the weather warms up.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Thanks, Tom. That's what I needed to know.
    Dan