Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Original BMW Tool Kit

Original BMW Tool Kit

Just received my first street bike. It's a 1974 BMW R90/6 with 18,000 miles. Still snow on the ground here in IL, so I have to find something to do with myself other than walking around the bike constantly. It came with the original tool bag, grease rag, and a bunch of assorted tools. What I'm looking for is a picture of what the complete tool set would look like for this year and model of bike. If anyone can help me out with a pic or a list, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Doug

Doug -

Welcome and congrats on the bike! Duane has some pictures of original tool kits and other information here:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/toolkit/index.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Not sure this will help, but this is from my 78. Having also owned a 74 R90S I can tell you that it is about the same as that bike's tool kit. My kit also has a few extras, but I think all the factory tools are there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The parts fiche list all the tools that come in the kit. Click on the link below, then go to equipment parts to get to the tool kit.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...9&rnd=03252011
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwJeff View Post
    The parts fiche list all the tools that come in the kit. Click on the link below, then go to equipment parts to get to the tool kit.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...9&rnd=03252011

Thanks!
    Doug

Hi,
    Look at message 3. The extras I see are the adjustable wrench, the thin shock wrench (probably for Koni shocks) and the long tire pressure gauge. The stock gauge was only 3 or 4 inches long. Missing are the feeler gauge (including the one which fits the master cylinder to make sure the free play is correct - it is U-shaped with, I think, 4 normal feeler gauges attached to it) and the rag with BMW woven into it.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Missing are the feeler gauge (including the one which fits the master cylinder to make sure the free play is correct - it is U-shaped with, I think, 4 normal feeler gauges attached to it) and the rag with BMW woven into.
    ... and pliers, as seen below.

From Duane's website; R80GS and R80ST tool kit (but the pliers are the same (at least they are the same ones in my '73 R75/5 tool roll!))

Of course, unless you intend to "show" and want a "period correct" tool roll, what matters is having the tools you need, when you need them.

Like... the Northwoods points adjusting "set" that I carry now.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Lew, tell us more about that Northwoods set....
    Steve in Santa Fe
    1980 R100RT
    2005 DR 650

copy of something sold years ago for easy setting of points. remove orginal lobed centrifugal advance, replace with this one (entire OD is same as high point of stock lobed unit), adjust points with feeler gauge, remove, reinstall cetrifugal. it lets you set the points without having to contend with the 2 centrifugal arms getting in the way..
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

it lets you set the points without having to contend with the 2 centrifugal arms getting in the way..
    ... now if someone would come up with a Quick Disconnect Front-Fork doing the whole points thing would be cake.

Or maybe I should finally break down and buy a lift.. .

Lew Morris

Points adjusting tool

pcarfan
    Just got my 83 R100 and need the tool kit. Besides the flea market section is there somewhere else I can find one? I recall seeing some new ones being sold for about $140, can't remember where at the moment but are they the same?

I don't know about anything else in the kit, but since the 1974 axles are smaller than on later models the wrench that fits the main bolt might be a different size.

Two sets on eBay today, plus one "aftermarket" kit.

Might want to keep your eye on this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-BMW-R60-...item3f13298eed

Lew Morris

pcarfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Two sets on eBay today, plus one "aftermarket" kit.

Might want to keep your eye on this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-BMW-R60-...item3f13298eed
    Thank you!
    Is there a difference in pouch and edging colors for different generations or years, I've seen a lot of variations? I'm trying to buy as close to what would have come with the bike.