Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Robb leaves BMW

Once a lead person becomes a fixture in a position, it's sometimes hard to achieve innovative change due to the baggage of past decisions.
    Glad you said, "... sometimes..." "Kelly" Johnson
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Glad you said, "... sometimes..." "Kelly" Johnson
    Note that Mr. Johnson left his active management position in 1975 at age 65. He was appointed skunk works head in 1958 at age 48. BMW usually appoints senior executives in their mid -40's and keeps them until near 60. David Robb is 56 this year. He was 48 when he was appointed head of motorcycle design in 2004.

I'm not equating their accomplishments, but their timelines were similar.
    Last edited by 36654; 01-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Folks, here's your golden opportunity for fame and fortune.

Now that the position is open maybe some of the MOA members who know exactly what type bikes BMW should build (many, many threads) should apply for the job.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

David Robb listened - we wanted lower bikes, lighter bikes . . . . . at his talk at Machine in the Garden at the Boston Architectural Center several years ago he said they were coming - and they came.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Folks, here's your golden opportunity for fame and fortune.

Now that the position is open maybe some of the MOA members who know exactly what type bikes BMW should build (many, many threads) should apply for the job.

Well maybe now the R-RS will make a return.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    OR...in the name of arbitrary change for the sake of change you could loose a visionary genius and get a uninspired bureaucrat instead.
    Very true.

Time will tell.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

David Robb was born in Boston Massachusetts. His father was a missionary and moved the family to Kobe Japan where he grew up. He graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California., Robb will turn 56 this year.

His first job after college was with Chrysler in their Advanced Studio. That lasted 11 months then cutbacks cost him his job. He went to Europe with the goal of getting a job at Opel. He received and offer but in the interim had done other interviews and took a job with Audi. He joined BMW in 1984. He started on the automobile side of the company as an exterior designer and was promoted to head of the exterior studio before taking over as motorrad head of design in 1993.

An earlier poster commented on 'churn' in BMW executives. Beyond reading every Rolls-Royce press release I don't follow the cage side of the company much at all. What I have notice with motorrad executives is they often end up in more senior positions on the cage side after 'making their executive bones' in the motorrad segment.

My guess is there is much more to this story than an argument with von Kűenheim over the Lo Rider production concept. I would be more surprised to hear he has not taken something that interests him within BMW. Given the point he is at in his career, age and the point where BMW Motorrad/Husqvarna are at with product development it is as logical a time to transition the head of design for the segment. Any way you look at it I doubt it is change for change sake.

BMW is said to be looking at new markets. It is not clear if that means model types, national or both. Combing that with a new direction for Husqvarna and how they mesh with the Mothership we are in for some interesting developments.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Talking Hmmmm...

Maybe Harley will hire him to update the engines and lean angles a bit.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Well maybe now the R-RS will make a return.
    Not likely. BMW knows that the top two reasons that people buy a given motorcycle are 1) the magazine reviews, and 2) the test ride - in that order. Pieter de Waal told me directly that the RS-type bikes are gone because they didn't test at the top of any recognized category of motorcycles (as defined by the motorcycle press). He said BMW can not afford to build bikes that don't test at at the top or near top of these categories, and because the RS was a jack of all trades and master of none (my words), it had to go. That breaks my heart as I've always been an RS-guy, but I can see the marketing realities of this decision. I'm keeping my K1200RS until they throw the dirt over me.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post

BMW is said to be looking at new markets. It is not clear if that means model types, national or both. Combing that with a new direction for Husqvarna and how they mesh with the Mothership we are in for some interesting developments.
    Very well said!

Whatever the reasons corporate of personal I wish the best in the next chapter in his life and... Thanks for the R1200RT and the new scooter.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    David Robb listened - we wanted lower bikes, lighter bikes . . . . . at his talk at Machine in the Garden at the Boston Architectural Center several years ago he said they were coming - and they came.

Muriel
    I'm still waitin on a R51/2, it's lower and lighter.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    Whatever the reasons corporate of personal I wish the best in the next chapter in his life and... Thanks for the R1200RT and the new scooter.
    Ditto!

Kind of felt comforting, having a 'colonist' in charge of BMW design this last decade or two.

Best of luck, David, and again.............. THANKS! for the R1200RT!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post

Muriel
    Which lower and lighter bikes? Other than the F's?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744