Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finally Did It

congrats on the new ride...
    i've looked at those time and time again... how does it sit, BTW?

i've always been a vintage bike guy, with old Brits and Airheads, and i have an 88 K100. my *new* bike is a 93 R100RS.
    sort been hankering for a NEW new bike... have been looking at the new Triumph Sprint GTs. probably kill myself at worst or get speeding tickets at best on one, however... and i'm not certain how comfortable my very leggy GF would be on the back of one- which is a VERY important consideration.

i'm on the wait-and-see plan, tho- for now.

best of luck!

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Dan,

Welcome to the "other" side Try to keep your license in your wallet.

Have fun with your brick. Great engine- you should really like it. Pulls strong from a much wider rev range. And is pretty well bomb-proof.

Hope you have many fun miles.

John
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

BMWRider88,

If by how does it sit your talking riding position I'd say this bike puts a considerable amount of weight on one's hands and wrist. I start finding it a little uncomfortable after a half hour or so but I think I'll toughen up over time. With the R and its straight up position I never had any hand issues. That being said I'm overall quite comfy on the bike.

As far as the extra power goes - I think my age has tempered my throttle hand quite a bit. I remember testing a Triumph Sprint GT about 10 years ago and thinking the power would cause me to do something stupid - I just don't feel that way any more. Quite honestly I didn't quite know what to do with the 80hp on the R. I know I'll never really need the 130hp the K provides but I really appreciate the smooth and seamless way it delivers whatever I ask for, and I bet you will too....

__________________________________________________ _______________
    John

Thanks for the welcome - can't wait to put my wife on the back - I think she'll love it!
    Dan

2004 K1200RS
    1996 R1100R (sold)

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danboxer View Post
    John

Thanks for the welcome - can't wait to put my wife on the back - I think she'll love it!
    Dan

We have found that because of the wide powerband and smooth delivery, these bikes are very good for 2-up sport touring. The opposite of an '09 Concours we had for one year- very abrupt throttle- very difficult to be smooth while 2-up.

My wife really likes our brick with its passenger backrest.

John
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Congrats on the new bike! I had a '04 zebra and loved it before the allure of the K1200S proved too much to resist. I still miss my KRS especially the cruise control but not its heft.
    Regards,
    Randy
    '99 R1100R & '02 RT
    '06 K12s bumblebee

3 Red Bricks

If by how does it sit your talking riding position I'd say this bike puts a considerable amount of weight on one's hands and wrist. I start finding it a little uncomfortable after a half hour or so but I think I'll toughen up over time. With the R and its straight up position I never had any hand issues. That being said I'm overall quite comfy on the bike.
    WELCOME TO THE "DARKSIDE".

Check out the Flying Brick K-Bike section of this forum to get advice from other K-Bike Krazies. I'm sure the K12 crowd will have plenty of good tips for which barbacks might work best or anything else specifically about your bike.

Gorgeous bike!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks Lee and Randy.

I was worried about the heft as well but was quite amazed at how nimble it feels when underway. That being said - I drove a 2011 1300S and do remember it being even more nimble but the riding position was just to aggressive for me. I think though that once I adjust to the RS I'll probably start considering an S again at some point - we'll see.
    Did another 60 miles today and basically felt very little discomfort in my palms - I made it a point to sit up a little straighter and keep my hands light - seemed to do the trick.

Bike felt awesome - makes me way happy!
    Dan

2004 K1200RS
    1996 R1100R (sold)

Thanks Lee and Randy.

I was worried about the heft as well but was quite amazed at how nimble it feels when underway. That being said - I drove a 2011 1300S and do remember it being even more nimble but the riding position was just to aggressive for me. I think though that once I adjust to the RS I'll probably start considering an S again at some point - we'll see.
    Did another 60 miles today and basically felt very little discomfort in my palms - I made it a point to sit up a little straighter and keep my hands light - seemed to do the trick.

Bike felt awesome - makes me way happy!
    Congrats on a great bike in the fastest color!
    You figured it out! Use your core to support your upper body and don't lean on your wrists. You will find that countersteering and a bit of concentrated upper body weight shift will make it go through the twisties very nicely. I'm not talking about hanging off, just drop your elbow and shoulder when you turn.
    Enjoy it!
    Oh, and consider a radar detector, these K's have very long legs, 90 feels like 60!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Yep - keeping it slow seems to be a challenge
    Dan

2004 K1200RS
    1996 R1100R (sold)