Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: shipping bikes

Tell us where you live & maybe a retired guy like me can , in fact ride it for you? I'm game.
    I was thinking about this last night. Maybe there needs to be a "Pony Express" style relay system set up to move bikes.

One guy rides from A to B, the next guy B to C, etc. Say, 500-700 mile legs? In motion 24/7? Don't ask me about the details of how the first guy get back to A, or the second, or .. ... .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I was thinking about this last night. Maybe there needs to be a "Pony Express" style relay system set up to move bikes.

One guy rides from A to B, the next guy B to C, etc. Say, 500-700 mile legs? In motion 24/7? Don't ask me about the details of how the first guy get back to A, or the second, or .. ... .
    A group of guys I'm involved with, did that with a dog. Don't remember all the fine points, but a guy moving several states had his M/C & dog left...How to move the dog?
    Well one guy picked up the dog, took him ?? 150-200 miles, handed him off to the next guy, another 150-200 or so...till he got where he was going. The owner was very greatful,..and it is said the dog loved the rides......

Andy

shipping

I had a great experience with uship. Shippers contact you, give you a bid, and you take the one you want based on price and date of delivery. My R1100R died in CT, was repaired, and then shipped to VA.

Federal + 1

Federal operates it's bike shipping department out of my town ---and I knew the folks who
    used to run it. Riders, both of them. They shipped the bikes for the Guggenheim Art of the Motorcycle show...
    As always, YMMV...and get it in writing...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

na1g
    +1 on Federal. Used them twice for cross-country shipping and found them to be professional, on time and experienced. They charge extra fees for pick-upand/or drop-off at residential addresses, so you can save a few bucks if you work out commercial addresses - like maybe a dealer. And AMA (maybe BMWMOA?)members get a discount. I'd use them again.

pete

If I am going on vacation to San Francisco CA I see there is a distribution center in Santa Clara. Is it possible for me to ship my bike out there a week or 2 ahead of time and pick it up? I am planning on riding back home after touring NorCal.

thanks

thanks to everyone who responded. gives me some solid ideas now.