Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shipping bikes

rwanamak

shipping bikes

I am thinking about buying a bike well out of state. Has anyone suggestions as to how to have a bike shipped, and any experience with shippers? Stuff to watch out for in shipping/buying out of state?

Quote Originally Posted by rwanamak View Post
    I am thinking about buying a bike well out of state. Has anyone suggestions as to how to have a bike shipped, and any experience with shippers? Stuff to watch out for in shipping/buying out of state?
    Hi rwanamak, welcome to the forum. I'm going to move your post over to the Motorrad section for better exposure. This pops up from time to time with the bulk of the bike shipping questions answered in conjunction with the National Rally. As your interest seems kinda non-specific, you might be better off in Motorrad. Good luck, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

rwanamak
    thanks! going to like these forums i see! i will be checking into these...

Haulbikes

A couple of years ago I had a bike shipped for the first time and used a company called Haulbikes. Out of the gate they were good to deal with, seemed friendly and concise on how the process was to be handled. However, after I paid the fee and made the arrangements, things took a turn for the worse. What was promised to be a two week turn around ended up being about a two month nightmare. To top it all off, once the driver arrived at the sellers home in Austin, Tx. he refused to get the bike because he didn't think he could get his truck down the street to the sellers house and was prepared to simply drive away!! Thank God the seller was a terrific guy because he took charge and called both me and the company (he already had his money by that point so he went above and beyond) and got the issue resolved. The driver was forced to do his job and I eventually got what I had paid for. So, that said, I'd use three monkey's and a boy scout before I'd use Haulbikes again!! Good luck!!

The Links and References thread has a number of shipping companies listed at the bottom. Most of these companies were recommended at one point during past discussions about shipping bikes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

One thing I would like to stress..... Make sure the shipper delivers it [on the ground] when it arrives. Allied V/Lines rolls it out to the lift gate,.from a high semi,trailer.and from there you're on your own. All the driver does is operate the gate! Mine arrived on a snowy day, the gate was wet,the motorcycle barely fit {ON} the gate, and the gate dropped about 3 inches when he lowered it....damn near put me & the motorcycle on ground, in a heap

To do it over again,...I would insist that it be off loaded on the skid,by forklift.then rolled out of skid..or no deal..BTW $600 Fla-Ohio.

Don't mean to sound bossy?... I'm a fair sized guy, 6'1" 260 and it scared the crap outta me!!!!!!!!! as it damn near got away.
    Ron

I have mine bolted to the floor, and I unbolt it when not using.....hide in a corner. I use rubber plugs to keep the bolt anchors clean while empty.
    Without being bolted down?...it's useless.

Just did it

Hi, I just had one shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
    You can ask for BARB.
    1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
    email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I have mine bolted to the floor, and I unbolt it when not using.....hide in a corner. I use rubber plugs to keep the bolt anchors clean while empty.
    Without being bolted down?...it's useless.
    It appears i placed a reply in the wrong thread....Sorry!

You can often find a retired guy in your local club you can fly to the bike and he'll ride it back for you. (Probably not in mid-winter, obviously.)

He can even be the guy that brings the check.

BTDT
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

It appears i placed a reply in the wrong thread....Sorry!
    I was trying to imagine what kind of neighborhood you must live in... ..
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Figure price first

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You can often find a retired guy in your local club you can fly to the bike and he'll ride it back for you. (Probably not in mid-winter, obviously.)

He can even be the guy that brings the check.

BTDT
    I thought about doing this myself but after figuring fuel, motel, food, etc...their was not much savings if any,and in December not much fun from Portland, Or. either.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

shipping bike

I shipped my r80rt by haulbike.everything went fine, they were a little slow.but it was january.so I was not worried about riding any way,

BEWARE OF THE BROKERS!!! Having had lots of cars shipped(and a few bikes) I can tell you that they will wear you out if you get involved with them. They are not actually categorically bad, just on comission and they love to call iat all hours,etc.,etc.. There are internet boards(I'm not at home to look it up) where the haulers look for loads/cars& bikes to haul and you sing up yourself. Uship is another place to look. Get some notion of when & how as I once tried to get a ride to SD,CA for a running car, sarted way ahead of time & after LOTS of EFFORT!!! I gave up & we drove it out there for a son returning from sea duty.
    Tell us where you live & maybe a retired guy like me can , in fact ride it for you? I'm game. Thats how I do most stuff that runs. SW air is cheaper than a hauler if not too much motel involved. You ca PM me early next week if you want better suggestions.