Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Really old BMW rig (a Ural right?)

The more I read the more I want. Have you seen the 2012 Tourist? Shiny black and white double pinstrip. At first glance you think R60. If all the people that have complained about no more airheads from the company see these, Ural's going to have to keep all 150 workers on overtime!

Just got my 2012 GU last week. If you compare it to a /2 the Ural comes out ahead, modern electronics and Brembo disc, along with a hack wheel drum. Not for the fast lane but if you just want to enjoy the ride it's wonderful. My historic-vehicle-liscenced K75S now seems very modern and cutting edge. The manual encourages owners to do their own maintenance and goes into some detail. When I first heard the term "UDF" (Ural delay factor) I thought they were referring to breakdowns. Noooo, it's from folks coming up and chatting every time you stop. And the wife and kids love it. Sorry if I'm not discouraging you from taking the plunge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

The more I have read, the less I can be discouraged.

Nice rig! That's the fog color?

To the dealer next week, check in hand. I like the Gobi camo best so far. Now if I can get it broken-in in time to head for Sedalia (by the blue line roads for sure).

Thumbs up Decision made!!!!

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.

Went up to visit with Gene at Holopaw Corvette in St. Cloud. Million quesitons answered,(guy's got the patience of a saint). Went over the bikes to show me all the ins and outs. Sent me out on his nicely broken in Retro in the back 10 acres. Felt like I was on my R60 again. Reverse is so nice to have. The advances noted for the 2012 models have mostly been incorporated as the 2011 production proceeded. I saved a bit by taking the 2011 model. Gearbox on the new bike (15 Km on the clock) is stiffer than the older bike, but even with that I was able to find neutral no sweat

Going back saturday to pick up Vasily (Gear Up) and ride him home. I'm about 150k from Gene's so home and back will have the bike ready for the first service. That mean's Gene trains me on all fluid changes, valve sets, full service. So cool. I like working on my own, and this bike is prime for home care. He did warn me that Florida sugar sand and bottomless mud are not the Ural's friends (bring a winch or come along and a friend).

Pictures when I get him home!

Congrats! My poor K has only been ridden once in the 2 weeks I've had my Gear-Up (no name yet) The Ural is just so damn much fun, and the attention it attracts is unbelievable. I especially like seeing little kids in cages getting all excited seeing it. My 6 and 13 yr olds status has skyrocketed at school since I've ridden them there in the hack.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
    He did warn me that Florida sugar sand and bottomless mud are not the Ural's friends (bring a winch or come along and a friend).
    Congrats!

I also learned quickly to stay out of the sand. a few weeks after I had mine I decided to enjoy some late night beach time. 10 feet off the pavement was about all I made it. Spent the next hour in full cardio and colorful language mode. Eventually some local bradda's came by and pulled the silly haole back to pavement. ;-)

Good thread. I just bought a 2005 Ural Tourist last night and rode it home 100 miles, my first ride on a sidecar rig.

I've got a lot to learn but I'm really liking it so far.

Delivered!!

Picked up the bike at Gene's. Shakedown and change rear brake light switch (on all the time). Then 305 km home. First part at 35 to 45mph for 34 miles. Then a break. Off again for another 40 miles varying speeds and doing 50 mph for a lot of it. Stop for gas and break. Then the last part. Barely beat the thunderstorms but home safe. No engine problems, no heat.

My old reflexes are starting to come back. Not so jerky. Got the sidecar brake adjusted so with front and rears applied nice straight stop.

He has become Vasily. He wants to see Montania :-)

Forgot to upload the picture

This is at the home driveway. Only tried to kill myself with my solo bike reflexes on the first slow left curve.

Leaving Gene's at Holopaw

Stopped at YeHaw Junction for a cool down and a coke. No love bugs yet

Quote Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
    tried to kill myself with my solo bike reflexes on the first slow left curve.
    Yeah, my countersteering reflex took me into a wheat field the first day I had mine. No harm done, good way to ram through my thick skull not to try that again.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up