Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Then and Now Images

Thanks all. Well, a few more.

If you hopped off the train in St. Elmo in 1878, this is how you might have been greeted...

If you rode in today...

And after walking through town and looking back in 1880...

And doing the same today...

Looking NE as a few buildings looked after 30 years of abandonment...

And after another 60 more years, with a touch of modest care...

From a recent ride, pausing in the town of Morrison. The school in the late 1800's...

I think it is a residence now...

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west put a halt to the unruliness of the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...

...heavy rains would soak the canyons above town...sfarson
    It doesn't look like there's much vegetation up there, to slow the water down. They must have been like flash floods in the desert.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Well Done!
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Talking wow!

What fun. We've been to several of those spots and love seeing them here from a new POV...or should I say "old?"
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

OK, a few more finding the location of old ghost town structures that had been swept up and away by man and nature. West Creek flared to life in 1896 with claims of gold in the area. Fortune seekers swept in, erected a scattered town along the namesake creek, and within six months 2,000 people were there. By late 1897 it was recognized there wasn't "gold in them thar hills", and the fade began.

Here's an excellent eight minute video from Douglas County on the history of what is now known as Westcreek (single word)... Landmark Series - All That Glitters, West Creek Colorado on Vimeo

West Creek around 1896-1897...

In two months (June 2002) will be the ten year anniversary of the massive Hayman wildfire, which consumed 138,000 acres and numerous scattered homes in the Westcreek area. Today, it is a quiet place, but what a diff versus 1896-1897...

1896-1897...

Today, with a delightful power pole. There was a home behind me preventing a more elevated and precise "where the photographer stood then"...

So, a short ride south along West Creek, about a mile from the above, where a few structures of West Creek "suburbia" were placed...

Guess it is fitting to have horses of the day stand in tribute to the past. Could have hopped the fence and joined them for a slightly better "now" perspective...

Amazing photos. Thanks. The "now" photos where the original buildings still exist in very much the same appearance as they did in the "then" photos are particularly haunting and yet somehow satisfying to see. They seem to allow you to be transported to those bygone years and to enjoy a special connection with those courageous and pioneering people who are now long gone. The photos are also an excellent commentary on our own mortality. (a certain song by Kansas would fit in nicely here. )

Then and Now Images

Your postings are very cool and enjoyable to look at. Interesting how in most of your pictures the man-made of the past has been gobbled-up and returned back to it's natural state. Out here where I live (about 20 miles North of NYC) it would be the opposite where Industrial buildings have been replaced by residential housing and office space.
    May take a stab at a northeast version if I find the time.
    Again, thanks.
    mike wex

Good thoughts chester and mike. From a recent ride... The Colorado Midland Railroad had a line running from Colorado Springs up to the high alpine meadows of South Park. A popular stop about 100 years ago was Hartsel, where tourists would disembark for fishing in the South Platte, soaking the bones in the hot springs, and picking wildflowers in massive fields of wildflowers. The train's wheels would sing on standard gauge track so heavier loads could be hauled. This was also known as the "Stockmen's Railroad", for among the cars in the train were those dedicated to hauling cattle and hay back to Colorado Springs.

Anyway, a large photo for reflection. Before there were nurseries, gathering huge bouquets of wildflowers was quite the pastime, and so was dressing up for the
    occasion...

Autos came on to the stage of life, roads were placed down, and tracks were pulled up. About 70 years ago...

Guess I could have tilted the cam a bit, and brought the bike and background closer. Dang it can be hard framing/standing where someone did long ago. That
    faint snowcap peak in the distance to the right is Pikes Peak. Just to the right of the bike is the old train grade. The tracks would have been coming towards
    us...

Found this 100 year old picture of a man paning for gold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Second picture is me.

Anyone else see the resemblence?
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    Second picture is me.

Both chasing a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    Second picture is me.

Darryl... Get a hat and a dog and I think it would come quite close.

From today's ride. 75 years ago the Denver, South Park and Pacific made its last runs. We're on the north side of Kenosha Pass here, just on the other side of South Park. Photos were taken of the final rides...

Two rails were taken up. Two wheels pay homage. We're on the now Hall Valley/Webster Pass Road...

Now it's really old...

Nice touch Grafik.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Nice touch Grafik.
    Just a tip o' the hat for the road trip(s) through time.