Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking of taking the plunge. Need input

After my cold (32-39) 21/2 hour ride to the dealer yesterday I was informed that he sold the demo GTL so I could not ride it. I had confirmed he had the demo at 4:00 the day before. So I could only sit on a GT and GTL. After sitting on both for some time I think it is a pretty close call, but I think I will go for the GTL which I think will offer better long term comfort for my size. So I am now shopping for a GTL. Hope to find one in the next month or so.

That is indeed unfortunate that you did not have a chance to ride the demo bike. I took the plunge on a GTL and picked it up about one week ago. For me it was the correct choice. Good Luck...

Rick H.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    After sitting on both for some time I think it is a pretty close call, .
    I was debating one or the other also. Especially as you can not find a GT model that is not loaded with all three packages, which hikes up the price and if you add the two accessories the GTL has - topcase and additional lights - the GT may come out more expensive. But when I sat on both, the seating position definitely sold me on the GT. I don't think the ergonomics are close. You need to really determine what works for you and then you may have only one choice.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my statement, I do not want to mislead anyone. The riding position on the two bikes is distinctly different. The close call for me was whether I could be comfortable on the GT for a 8 hour ride. My conclusion is that it is possible I could be comfortably on the GT but highly likely on the GTL. The GTL has a clearly more relaxed riding position that the GT. So the close call was on should I buy the GT. As we all know it all depends on our physical size and riding style. As much as I like to GT it will be the GTL for me.

Finally bit the bullet today and put a deposit down on a GTL in stock at a out of state dealer. Unfortunately I will have to wait for the weather to improve before I can pick it up. I have to ride over two 7,000 ft mountain passes in order to reach the dealer and trade my RT. Maybe I will have to rent a trailer instead. After all of the great reviews on this forum and others I am anxious to experience the GTL, even though I am a little reluctant to part with the RT. I have an appointment with Russel in California in mid May to have a seat made. Then it will be touring the west for a good part of the summer.

boscoman2

2up on the GT

Has anyone done much 2up riding on the GT, particularly previous 2up r12rt riders?