Thread: Tier 1 Gasoline

Hybrid View

Question Tier 1 Gasoline

Tier 1 Gasoline in a term that popped up recently. In the "old" days I had confirmed to my own satisfaction that Gas was Gas and it all came out of the same supply tank at the distribution yard. Recently I was told that there is now a difference in the quality/grade of gas between say a Mobil or Shell station and a convenience store pump.
    I buy most of my gas and diesel at Extra Mart (convenience store) here locally and it has all been fine. A little searching on the web is unclear as to whether there is a difference or not. A buddy of mine does quite a bit of haz-mat/pollution control at a local terminal and says that there are now 3 tiers of gas. Supposedly my bike will eventually suffer from running "unbranded" gas unless I use something like Techron regularly.
    Has anyone have any words of wisdom on this? TIA Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Words of wisdom are to google "top tier."
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Words of wisdom are to google "top tier."
    Thank you. I did google it and found it very interesting. In our modern engines, the additives play important roles. If they are not there, the good results won't happen.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

All gas is the same as it is refined by the same process. the difference between a name brand (top tier) and convince store gas is the additive/detergent package that is added to the refined product by each individual brand.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    All gas is the same as it is refined by the same process. the difference between a name brand (top tier) and convince store gas is the additive/detergent package that is added to the refined product by each individual brand.
    That is sorta what it sounds like. There was an f800 apart in the shop and it had enough of a build-up on the valves that it required service. BMW has been recommending their private label bottle of Techron for some time.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

i've heard a lot of internet chit chat about gas, where it comes from, etc.
    near as i can tell it is largely BS. having said that, i almost always buy Sunoco for the bikes (when available), and go for the highest octane i can get. maybe it's purely psychological, but it seems the bikes run better on the Sunoco 93 than on other gas.

here's some internet info on top tier gasoline from Wiki:

"Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a designation given to participating Gasoline brands in the U.S. and Canada that meet voluntary industry standards.

History

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced the minimum gasoline detergent standard [1] in 1995 and soon after most gasoline marketers who had previously provided higher levels of detergents reduced the concentration level of detergents in commercial gasoline to meet the new standard. Whether the higher detergent levels were necessary remains disputed. The levels required are necessary to meet emissions standards but not engine longevity standards.

In 2004 BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota established a proprietary standard for a class of gasoline called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline with increased levels of detergents. Volkswagen/Audi joined the consortium in 2007.

Gas brands can participate and get Top Tier listing if they meet certain standards."

the consensus is still out on the concept, it seems. seems there is a school of thought that says top-tier, detergent gasoline can decrease carbon build-up and add to engine longevity. i wonder how/if ethanol fits into the equation?

the whole bit sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    Yup. My Dad once worked in the laboratories at Texaco, and he insisted that it was the same gasoline that satisfied the same federal regulations which no oil company spent the money to exceed, so he went to the cheapest gas station he could find. I've personally seen the the large and unmarked gasoline trucks finish filling the underground tanks at a national brand gas station, only to go to a no-name gas station and fill their tanks out of the same truck.

It reminds me of an old Mad Magazine cartoon from my childhood (bear with me, here). The first frame of the cartoon showed three slots in the post office's wall. Above one slot was written "Airmail." Above the next was written "First Class Mail." And above the last was written "Third Class Mail." The next frame was a view of the same wall but from the other side. Under the three slots was one huge box extending from one slot to the other into which all the mail fell.

Gasoline marketing is the same way.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Gasoline marketing is the same way.
    And in all these years they haven't been sued!

That truck driver puts the additives in at the station.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Good question, it's been recommended by several Porsche and BMW auto service centers that tier one gas be used, locally they recommend Chevron, I always stay with a major brand whenever possible. I carry a bottle of Techron in my side bag mixed with Stabil marine.(purple) Pour in a 1oz of the mixture at each fill up if i'am using a off brand of fuel, sometimes you have no choice of fuel scource.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I personally think it is a marketing ploy more than anything else. I've used whatever was cheap and handy since I started driving and riding in 1962 and I have never had a fuel related problem. I do try to buy gas where it turns over quickly. The gas all comes from the same place but the individual purchasers add the detergents and mix the ethanol in when they load. They use different combinations but I don't think there is a lot of difference.

I think it's a lot like GM "recommending" that their new cars use GM dexos oils. I did some research and found out GM sells the oil companies the rights to put it on their oil containers and it is not a reflection of the quality of the oil. Many oils that refused to pay into this extortion attempt has as good or better oil than the GM dexos oil.

I hate it when someone bribes or extorts companies into scaring people into buying a certain product.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.