Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Eating Locally on the Road?

Thread defibrillator

Loco Coyotes - Glen Rose Texas
    The Fish Shack - Plano Texas

I've got a whole rolodex full of these stops but I'll throw out my first couple here:

http://www.jimssmokinque.com

Jim's is a stop near Blairsville GA right on some of the best twisties in anywhere.

Next up is the Brazenhead Inn in Mingo WV near Snowshoe:

http://www.brazenheadinn.com

Also right in the heart of some of the best hillbilly twisties on the planet. This place is a very affordable B&B and sets out a pretty nice buffet on occasion.

Wes
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Lightbulb Locations mapped

To make my life easier with all these good ideas I have created a google map, visible to the public & editable to anyone who wishes to add their other suggestions.
    I have mapped pretty much all those listed in he thread already, of course I only have the locations, not necessarily 'best cheesesteaks' or 'try the ham' but feel free to add those tidbits as well.

link is HERE

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Thanks, jlevee! I was just going to comment on how nice it would be if the data were organized like the Tent Space map on ADVRider...then you went and did it!

Of course I'm seeing a culinary desert from Nebraska all the way to the Pacific along the northern route I'm planning on taking this summer!

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    the concept of eating well (IE: NOT "fast food") on the road has been kicked around here and there. this is certainly a valid point for discussion at any time!

i love small mom-&-pop joints. any number of- or type of, vehicles parked outside such a place is sure enough an indication of good eatin within. the only other sure thing is that good food will rarely be found at an exit off a freeway or interstate highway- you really do have to go into town- and it is most always worth it to do so.

Bube's Brewery- Mt Joy PA
    10th Avenue Steaks- 10th & Oregon, South Philly PA
    Baker's Diner- US 15 Dillsburg PA
    +1 Bube's Brewery, though the service can be somewhat lackadazical at times. Also try Lucky Duck's, Elizabethtown, PA and T. J. Rockwell's, also in Elizabethtown, PA. When there, be sure to order the Rhino Fries!

One of my 'must-stops' when I'm within 100 miles of the place is the Primetime Tavern in Huron, SD. Best steak I've ever had. Monday through Thursday the only thing on the menu is bacon wrapped filet, Friday and Saturday the menu is prime rib. Price for a 6 oz filet was about $7 (incl. baked potato, small salad and roll with butter) and the sizes go up to something like 24 ounces!

Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

Quote Originally Posted by tvgal2000 View Post
    One of my 'must-stops' when I'm within 100 miles of the place is the Primetime Tavern in Huron, SD. Best steak I've ever had. Monday through Thursday the only thing on the menu is bacon wrapped filet, Friday and Saturday the menu is prime rib. Price for a 6 oz filet was about $7 (incl. baked potato, small salad and roll with butter) and the sizes go up to something like 24 ounces!

Just added that to my Salem route.....Thanks.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 175887 View Post
    none of these are on the open road. I seldom travel via highways.

Blowing rock, nc: Woodland's bbq
    damascus, va: Old mill inn & restaurant
    asheville, nc: Moose cafe at the western nc farmer's market
    new bern, nc: Capt'n ratty's seafood
    agree!

Moose cafe in asheville
    12bones bbq in asheville
    Tim2

If around New Braunels, Texas or Taichung, Taiwan

If ya want a good cheeseburger and fries........Freiheit Country Store is located just east of I35 at 2157 FM 1101 in New Braunfels, Texas.830-625-9400

Ribs and sausage ....Stop in at the City Market in Luling, Texas. 78648 ....633 E Davis St ....(830) 875-9019

If ever around Taichung, Taiwan....try LaiLai located at the corner of Wenshin Rd and Xietuin Rd (pronounced like She-twin)....they have really good
    shrimp dumplings and beef noodle soup. The hot soybean milk is good also. Call me first and I'll treat.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Alabammy BBQ

Dreamland. Boom.

I was at the one (the original?) up on the hill in Tuscaloosa- 15th St? Not too far off the freeway. WOW!
    Truly fantastic! It's a dive kind of honky tonk joint, nothing fancy about the place... down home cookin in a down home joint. Some of the best BBQ I've had anywhere, and believe me I've had LOTS of BBQ.
    No big selection, just ribs & sausage, MAYBE chicken. A small selection of your typical sides, sweet (or UNsweet) tea, and maybe some beers. I had the ribs and the sausage- both were really really good.

WELL worth a stop if you're in the area. Dreamland has locations around the state, too- but I can only speak for this location. Order some today- heck, apparently you don't even have to GO to Alabama, you can have it delivered!

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

If you ever get to Old Orchard Beach along the southern coast of Maine you have to get a box of french fries at Pier French Fries. Best I've ever had. Bikers can park along the circle adjacent to Pier French Fries which is right in the middle of town. Old Orchard Beach is a small version of Wildwood, NJ.

Gypsy Cafe, Lincoln, NH

Moat Mountain Smoke House & Brewery, North Conway, NH. Good food, great beer

2 of mine;

Cameron, Arizona! The Cameron Trading Post (Navajo) has a dining room in the backside(very nice, Navajo Art on display decorate the dining room walls) of the Post thats serves "Navajo Taco's" to die for. Starve getting there, its worth it! This is near the East entrance to the Grand CanyonNP. A must stop. A very prominent, full of the best high desert VISTA's found anywhere at this locale. Obviously so, with the GCNP so closeby. Number 2 is totally opposite, on the Oregon Coast. Port Orford,Ore. boasts "The Crazy Norwegian", small but worthy seafood shoppe. I love the Halibut and Chips found in this area. They are still there and Ive been absent a few years. NOT much longer, being Salem is a target this Summer. Randy

otherwise

How to know what's inside?

Some people find a place they like and keep going back to a Know; you can call it loyalty.
    Some are drifters and malcontents, experimenters and explorers; they're always looking for a new experience or maybe just bored. When the waitress sakes if I want the usual, it's time to move on.

So how do you pick the places to try. Some of this thread has talked about trucks and ladders in
    The parking lot. None of them tried to make any correlation to the main attributes of eating out:
    Good Food, Large Portions, Low Prices, and Friendly(and/or pretty) Service. Do any types of vehicles
    and the age or condition indicate which attribute is primary? How about the same for motorcycles?

A couple of years ago some people I hungout started talking about a new diner; because of who hey
    were, I knew before that I went that it was Size and Service. I now check vehicles against what they
    drove as a first guess at what's inside.

NW Florida, South Alabama, SW Mississippi

TJ's, Freeport, FL, maybe an hour east of Ft. Walton Beach, FL20 a block or two west of US331 -- home cooking
    Juana's Pagodas, Navarre Beach, FL, foot of the Navarre Beach Bridge, informal, great sandwiches and full meals, a wonderful bakery
    Cocodre's, around the corner from Juanas -- fancier, more expensive dining
    Pegleg Pete's, Pensacola Beach, on Ft. Pickens Road, a mile or + from the light racus seafood and booze
    The Oar House, downtown Pensaola near the mouth of Bayou Chico, foot of Pace Blvd., yuppie, but excellent seafood, and booze
    The Gator Cafe, Baker FL, FL 189, NW of Crestview, home cooking, family atmosphere, common ride destination
    Can't remember the name -- semi-primitive country cooking, 2.5 to 3 miles north of 189 from The Gator Cafe
    The Back 40, a few miles south of Repton on AL 41, all by itself in fields; 1 of the 3 best burgers within 100 miles; commong biker destination
    Pirates Cove, Josephine, AL, bottom of Co. 95 off US98 about 6 miles into Alabama from Florida line--another of 3 best burgers, booze, marina, bare feet and bikinies
    Mary's Place, a block west of the bottom of Bellengrath Road, south Mobile (AL) County, southern/soul food; locally famous
    The Light House, Padget Switch Road, north side of Bayou La Batre, AL (Where Forest Gump caught shrimp) locally-caught fried seafood
    Miss Kitty's, one block west of the west side of the courthouse, Camden, AL -- 200-year-old plantation soul food recipes
    The Shed, just north of I-10 in Van Cleve, MS (west of Pascagoula), Hwy 57, locally famous barbeque and biker destination
    McElroy's US90 in Ocean Springs, MS, polite dining, fabulous seafood

And one in Louisiana: Boudreaux's and Tibideaux's in Houma, LA -- pure Cajun