Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motor Maids

Quote Originally Posted by redhot View Post
    I've met riders from all over the country and I have yet to meet one that "snubbed" me. They are usually very nice.
    I'm glad you've never been ""snubbed" as it were. I have been and believe it or not the most recent was at a BMW rally! Every time I joined my camping neighbors for rally chit chat they would all disperse! I'm just another BMW rider like everyone else. That experience was kinda surprising actually as I had never run into before. Mostly riders like to talk with other riders no matter the marquee (sp?)! So, I'll keep riding and rallying when I can.

Keep the shiney side up!

rapunzel

Unabashed Bike Freak
    Hi Ladies,

I've been reading this thread with interest. When my Pop bought me my first two-wheeled vehicle (1959 Lambretta) in 1963, I had no idea that bikes would be such a huge part of my life. I haven't been without one since, and they run the gamut from a 1948 UL Harley flathead to a 1949 BSA Bantam to a 1962 Norton 650SS cafe bike. I "graduated to a BMW" late in life, stumbling cross Millie, my 1980 R80/7 in the Fall of 2009. She was in small pieces and I got her for $500.00, and have LOTS of sweat and scraped knuckle equity in her. That same Fall I joined a local women's group, which was very loose and didn't last long, but I met a friend and she and I shared a campsite one weekend and came up with W.O.M.E.N.---"Women On Motorcycles Enjoying Nature". Some of the gals ride big honkin' V-twins (Harley's and clones) and I giggle and tell them they have to let me fire Millie up first so I can hear if she is running or not.

I've been across the country and back several times, and up and around the western States many times over the years---always alone, or perhaps with one gentleman friend. I've found riding with women a delightful experience, and our camp-and-ride group has six or seven campouts each summer. (And yes, several of the women are, as it was so delicately put, "masculine"....but we are there to ride and camp and laugh and have fun and that's all.)

I still love riding alone, and quite often do just that. I very much enjoy our little group outings. And I wave and get return waves from everyone from "outlaw" patch-holders to on-duty motorcycle cops. Over the years I've found that projecting a friendly, interested attitude will do wonders when meeting strangers, and it's *so* easy when you all share a love of two wheels. I suppose the one thing I enjoy most about a women's group is the lack of competitiveness----no one wants to be top dog. We all get along and we all have loads of fun!

Ranging far afield and at great length, I apologize for the size of the post.....honestly, I don't get paid by the word....

Barb
    Barb

R80/7, R75/6
    A bunch of Brits

Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jean View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I've been reading this thread with interest. When my Pop bought me my first two-wheeled vehicle (1959 Lambretta) in 1963, I had no idea that bikes would be such a huge part of my life. I haven't been without one since, and they run the gamut from a 1948 UL Harley flathead to a 1949 BSA Bantam to a 1962 Norton 650SS cafe bike. I "graduated to a BMW" late in life, stumbling cross Millie, my 1980 R80/7 in the Fall of 2009. She was in small pieces and I got her for $500.00, and have LOTS of sweat and scraped knuckle equity in her. That same Fall I joined a local women's group, which was very loose and didn't last long, but I met a friend and she and I shared a campsite one weekend and came up with W.O.M.E.N.---"Women On Motorcycles Enjoying Nature". Some of the gals ride big honkin' V-twins (Harley's and clones) and I giggle and tell them they have to let me fire Millie up first so I can hear if she is running or not.

I've been across the country and back several times, and up and around the western States many times over the years---always alone, or perhaps with one gentleman friend. I've found riding with women a delightful experience, and our camp-and-ride group has six or seven campouts each summer. (And yes, several of the women are, as it was so delicately put, "masculine"....but we are there to ride and camp and laugh and have fun and that's all.)

I still love riding alone, and quite often do just that. I very much enjoy our little group outings. And I wave and get return waves from everyone from "outlaw" patch-holders to on-duty motorcycle cops. Over the years I've found that projecting a friendly, interested attitude will do wonders when meeting strangers, and it's *so* easy when you all share a love of two wheels. I suppose the one thing I enjoy most about a women's group is the lack of competitiveness----no one wants to be top dog. We all get along and we all have loads of fun!

Ranging far afield and at great length, I apologize for the size of the post.....honestly, I don't get paid by the word....

Barb
    Barb,

What a wonderfulful story you tell! Thanks so much for sharing it. If I can ever get out to the west coast on two wheels I just might try to get in touch with you. I'm just back from a great ride and I enjoyed the heck out of my wandering ride through the hills of southern NH and VT.

Rapunzel