Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paralever bushing failure

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    Also, I used the final drive "drop" method, as suggested by Tom Cutter and others, and believe it to be superior to using a torque wrench. Otherwise, why does Tom recommend it? and he's done "a few."

Walking Eagle
    How exactly is the drop method done? I did my bushings using a torque wrench & some honda moly paste. I did not re_torque after 1000 miles because there was absolutely no play. After 8000 miles there is still no detectable movement. Could I check the bushings now by using the drop method?
    thanks

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I had mine installed my my local dealer when the bike was split apart four years and 55,000 miles ago for a clutch input shaft replacement.

It has been maintenance and trouble-free ever since.

What were your symptoms that let you know something was wrong with your paralever pivot bushing - or did you simply discover the wear during normal maintenance?

I'd like to be aware of how some of the signs of excessive wear might translate into rideability or handling. Could you tell something was wrong before you took it apart?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    What were your symptoms that let you know something was wrong with your paralever pivot bushing - or did you simply discover the wear during normal maintenance?

I'd like to be aware of how some of the signs of excessive wear might translate into rideability or handling. Could you tell something was wrong before you took it apart?
    I had no symptoms while riding.
    I discovered that while gently bouncing the rear on the pavement while on center stand I could feel and hear a tiny clunk. Sticking my finger in between the swingarm and FD with boot removed I could feel movement.
    The '6 and 12 vs 9 and 3' wheel grab doesn't work for me.

Mike
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

"drop method" is to tighten adjustable pin to point of no free play left at pin. ensure that FD can still move smoothly on its own with a barely perceptible amount of drag (it will drop of its own accord when you let go of it). now, tighten just to the point where the drag prevents it from moving quite so readily, then back off a bit from that. you are looking for slight tension when you let go of it, but not enough to prevent free movement.
    play in the FD relative to the shaft (could be wheel movement, but can also feel/see it with wheel off) is the "normal" method for assessing wear. unless you are very perceptive, or the play gets very excessive, you will not be able to feel it becoming loose.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Drop Method. . .

Thanks, Bikerfish. The only (obvious) thing I would add to what BF wrote is take off the rear wheel before the test! That wheel-and-tire adds a "little" too much weight to the FD to make this test accurate!

Another fine day in the garage.

Walking Eagle

I hope I am not throwing this old this old thread too far astray. But how often are the aftermarket bronze bushings supposed to inspected and or regreased. Mine have been in for three and one half years and twenty thousand miles. I used the Honda Moly as recommended by Tom Cutter.

Thanks,
    Mark

Installed mine @ 32,900miles, in 2008.
    Had to send the FD to Tom for rebuild @ 39,500mi. Bushings looked nearly new. This was July 2009.
    Had to send the tranny to Tom for rebuild @ 50,000mi. Bushings looked excellent. May 2011.

I'm at just over 64,000mi now, and I don't plan on checking them again until I decide to do a spline lube. I check frequently & rear wheel is solid as a rock. I also used the 'drop method' to torque the pin, no loctite on threads. But I do put a drop between the locknut & swingarm. Both pin & locknut are indexed to the swingarm, and neither has ever moved.....
    JMagda
    Deep in the OH wasteland...
    04 R1150r