Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheap jumper cables

Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    I have heard about that on newer F650GS models, but mine is a 2003 and there is no mention of this in the manual and don't see anything under the seat that looks like a likely candidate for a jump terminal. I would love to be proven wrong on this, though, so if anyone has a 2003 model and knows how to locate this terminal, I would love to hear about it.

I assumed they figured out that jump terminals are needed from customer feedback.
    It shows in the '03 parts fiche located with the E -Box, doesn't guarantee it's there...not listed in the Riders Manual but in the Maintenace Instructions booklet
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    It shows in the '03 parts fiche located with the E -Box, doesn't guarantee it's there...not listed in the Riders Manual but in the Maintenace Instructions booklet
    I just checked my Maintenance book and I am missing it if it is there. Inside the front cover it has:

01 47 7 671 051
    4th edition US / RF

If 09.2001 designates September of 2001, it could be that they recycled the manual from the 2002 version (guessing the 2002 year model came out in the fall of 2001). If that is the case, they may have added the feature in 2003 and my manual is not up to date.

Do you have a page number where this is mentioned?
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Real world

[QUOTE=gblawler;741123]The TV ad I saw for the cigarette lighter charge cord said that 15 minutes is usually enough time to get enough charge to start a car. Never tried it, so I do not know for sure, but I have had a lot of times when I put a car on a battery charger for only half an hour and it started.

I saw a TV ad for a cream that would make me beautiful; but I did not buy it.

Seriously, if it ONLY took 15 minutes; how many strangers in a parking lot would give you 15 minutes of their time?

When my battery died because of some mysterious dead short while we were having lunch, it was DEAD. Nothing would work. Not even the digital clock. IT WAS DEAD.

Paul's jumper cables [very similar to the ones I bought] did the job quickly and without having to remove a bunch of plastic from my R1100RT. I removed the seat. The ends are small enough to reach the terminals which are up under the tank. We ran the cable to a BMW sedan and it was cranked in less than 2 minutes. The battery has died one more time since then; but it was in my garage when it did it. I cannot find the problem. The battery tests out fine and since it is an intermittent problem, I cannot identify it.

I will NEVER leave home again without my cables.

The advice you receive on TV might differ; but mine is based on real life and experience.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Standard stranded cable can get pretty stiff at AWG 4 - 8...

Just curious... is anyone aware of a "braided" conductor (i.e. ground cable (but with insulation)) suitable for jumper cables? It would be a lot more flexible...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Standard stranded cable can get pretty stiff at AWG 4 - 8...

Just curious... is anyone aware of a "braided" conductor (i.e. ground cable (but with insulation)) suitable for jumper cables? It would be a lot more flexible...
    Check a welding supplier.
    I'm not sure they'd have small enough cable but the big stuff is pretty flexible.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Thumbs up

The R1200 CL & CLC have a ground and + terminal on the 2004 models that are easy to access and use. To charge my bike while its sitting in the garage I use one of the two power outlets just below the seat on the left side of the bike. You can buy a wired connector or make up your own. Easy to use and requires no addition or changes to the bikes wiring.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Neither my 2001 F650 Dakar nor Voni's F800S has any means of accessing the battery power (at any significant amperage for jump-starting) without removing plastic. When I bought my F650 it had a heavy gauge wire from the +12v battery post run to an insulated and covered post at an accessible location under the seat. I added a similar wire to Voni's F800S. Pop the seat and there it is. Use any good chassis ground for the negative cable clamp.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Good fix

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Neither my 2001 F650 Dakar nor Voni's F800S has any means of accessing the battery power (at any significant amperage for jump-starting) without removing plastic. When I bought my F650 it had a heavy gauge wire from the +12v battery post run to an insulated and covered post at an accessible location under the seat. I added a similar wire to Voni's F800S. Pop the seat and there it is. Use any good chassis ground for the negative cable clamp.
    I have a buddy who did a similar thing to his. After having to be jumped twice on one trip, he said he had to find a better way to jump the bike. I love the way bikers go about finding ways to keep their bikes on the road.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would be interested in any details you could provide about a clean and neat install like yours. I was thinking about just running an insulated 8 gauge solid copper wire to a place under the seat. I am interested in what you used for the "covered post at an accessible location under the seat". That sounds better than trying to clamp a jumper cable to a wire. What did you use for the "covered post"?
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

I was thinking about just running an insulated 8 gauge solid copper wire
    Definitely don't want to use SOLID copper... too prone to vibration and breakage; stranded copper would be mo'betta.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner