Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital Cameras

Digital Cameras

I'm sort of randomly looking for a new digital camera. I'm looking for an ability to control various aspects of the exposure (if you can call it that). I'm looking for control over depth of field and shutter speed, but want something fairly small. I think something along the lines of 4Mpixels will get the job done and should keep me from outgrowing it.

I know fish has a nifty Canon that does all that stuff, but I'm curious about whether other folks have any other suggestions. If there's one thing that makes riding fun, it's taking a whole pile of pictures and then sharing them.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Canon Powershot S400 Digital ELPH.

Read a detailed review here.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Bremen,Ohio in the beautiful Hocking Hills.
    Check out this Sony...I'm very happy with it and it's easy enough for my children to use. Actually it's probably the other way around...they're very happy with it and it's easy enough for me to use!!! Also Steve's digicam has good reviews on all makes of cameras.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/s85.html
    Keep on Beem'n,
    Rich :cool:

Scootertrash
    Check out an Olympus C-4000 zoom, 4.0 megapixels...

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=2&product=869

I'm diggin' Nikon 5700

Dave -- I don't know how spendy you want to get, but they just dropped the price on the 5 megapixel Nikon 5700, which has a very nice 8X zoom lens. Read a review

Also, www.cnet.com is a great place to do a comparo... as is www.dpreview.com (who nailed fish when he tried to link an image.

You might also want to check out the new Nikon SQ... very cool enclosure, and packs small in the tankbag. It is said to be available in late spring. Read a quick overview here.

Just two of many options. Canon Powershots are cool, too.

Ian

Ian! Glad to see you back!

I'm thinking somewhere between $350 and $500 is probably sufficient. I'm really looking for an ability to have as much control over the picture as I did on my ME Super Pentax.

Thanks!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Thumbs up

A nice middle of the road camera is the Canon A70 (3.2MP camera with 3x zoom - lots of control). I shoot weddings and other events on the weekends with a Nikon D1x and an assortment of other attachments.

I played with the Canon and it takes nice photos, small in size - uses "AA" batteries and Compact Flash Memory cards. THey can be had on sale at Office Max, Staples, Dell and others for $250-300.00. It also does Mpeg movies as well...

Hope that helps!
    Jeff Guntert
    Schenectady, NY
    97 K1100LTB

I use a Nikon Collpix 4500, it's relatively small and has more features and options then I know what to do with. You can take a 35 second video with sound, has a cool panoramic mode that will allow you to shoot as many pictures as you can fit on your media and put them all together. It will even lets you "look through" part of your previous picture so you can overlap them correctly. Nikon usually runs a $100 rebate on them so you can probably get it in the $500 range. in any case, www.dpreview.com will tell you what you want to know about any of the cameras you are interested in.

Camera

Just recently saw on tv that Kodak has come out with a disposable digital camera. Anyone know anything about it??
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT
    1992R100RT
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Silverado

Re: Camera

Originally posted by B52G
    Just recently saw on tv that Kodak has come out with a disposable digital camera. Anyone know anything about it??
    It's actually a regular disposable film camera that includes transfer of your images to a CD in the purchase price.

dave
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

I go for Canon and Nikon in Digital Cameras. The 5 megapixel Nikon 5700 is pretty sweet.

I'm still using my 3.5 year old Canon Powershot S10 2.1 megapixel camera and it's good enough to keep me from buying another one (for now).

Ditto on the Olympus C-4000. Compact, easy to use, manual over-rides.

Dave,
    I'm quite happy with my Sony DSC-S85 (since discontinued): 4 megapixels, totally auto or totally manual, depending upon your skill and mood. You might still find a few new ones out there for a steal.

Thanks to everybody! I've been looking at the Canon S50, but it's nice to know what everyone is happy with. Wanting is not the same as having, you know.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

K12RS on the Cabot Trail RedBeem's Avatar
    I've got a Canon and it's fantastic. The new A70 looks to be a great value.