Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Seeking Mental Floss
    Well, I am now retired. Yesterday, I played a casual round of golf, unmolested by loud, drunk foursomes and fivesomes which dominate on weekends. Very nice. Today, my wife and I drove over to Luling for some barbecue at the City Market. Wonderful. I have the next two weeks scheduled already. Saturday, I took the initial course to become a USGA Rules Official for amateur golf in the region.....I am very excited about that. Will start volunteering at tournaments in February. Busy and wonderful times!

OK, I'll shut up now!

Sounds like you are already lining up your second career Hugh

Any Golf Moms in the gallery at the amateur level

And maybe a little rainy out by Luling today?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    Well, I am now retired. Yesterday, I played a casual round of golf, unmolested by loud, drunk foursomes and fivesomes which dominate on weekends. Very nice. Today, my wife and I drove over to Luling for some barbecue at the City Market. Wonderful. I have the next two weeks scheduled already. Saturday, I took the initial course to become a USGA Rules Official for amateur golf in the region.....I am very excited about that. Will start volunteering at tournaments in February. Busy and wonderful times!

OK, I'll shut up now!
    Sounds like your on the right path.

Be happy; you deserve it!

E

Here's an article...AKsuited
    Thanks for posting that, Harry. I've got it bookmarked for later study.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Decidied today was the day!

Woke up this morning and decided that today was the day! Went to personel office and signed the papers.33years and 11 months. Great career but time to move on. Alot of the blogs here got me to thinking, swapping time for money was exactly what I been doing. Time for a new adventure. 2145 this evening and a new beginning. Grannyman

Congratulations! I'm at 8 weeks and counting down. Gonna be a long couple of months...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 136951 View Post
    Woke up this morning and decided that today was the day! Went to personel office and signed the papers.33years and 11 months. Great career but time to move on. Alot of the blogs here got me to thinking, swapping time for money was exactly what I been doing. Time for a new adventure. 2145 this evening and a new beginning. Grannyman
    Congrats!!

You will find that "swapping time for money" was never a good deal - live within your new means and enjoy life.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Jump started

I got a call to work in another division of the company after two months of furlough. Went great for two days until I met some of the co-workers.
    Thin skinned, cliquish.
    At day nine I told HR that it wasn't for me.
    48 hours later I was informed that after 29 years I was no longer an employee.

Now I'm on a 90 day pre-retirement trial.

Love it!
    Cat Televangelist; "and Morris brought down from the sofa the 10 entitlements!"

I was able to retire a little over a year ago at age 52. Scary, yes at first but that turned into total relief shortly. Everybody has their own set of circumstances to deal with in making the decision to retire. I liked the commit about getting a handful of water out of the ocean and see how much it is missed. Well let me tell ya the clock is ticking on us all. I had someone long ago tell me if you wait untill you think you have enough money to have kids you will never have kids and sorta the same thing with retirment. I have found out money goes much further now. Never saw a Brinks following a hearse.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Congratulations! I'm at 8 weeks and counting down. Gonna be a long couple of months...
    Good timing. You will retire very close to riding season. I retired in 2003 at 55. I was eligible to retire in October of 2002 but I saw no good reason to retire as winter approached. I quit working on the first day of Daylight Saving Time but my accrued vacation made my offical retirement date June first.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Congrats to all

Congrats to all of you retirees, I'm happy you are happy. Some just see the world differently.
    I am in my 71st year, I love the mental stimulation of going to my office every day, and most days I really like being there. I recently read somewhere that the single highest correlation with longevity is not to retire. I still feel like I have good, valuable work to do.
    That said, I ride my R80ST to work many days, and I'm taking two week-plus rides this summer on my R1150GS.
    Riding is indispensible to my high energy and good attitude about life. This is the balance that works for me.
    1983 R80ST
    2010 R1200GS

just mike for now
    Glad to read what all of you are writing. I am not sure I have enough assets to actually live here in Calif (where my 3 grown kids are), but am getting readier & closer to the glorious day.

...most days I really like being there...Dakar001
    Another happy senior attorney.

One of my colleagues just got his 70 year pin from the Law Society. He's 94.

http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/advisory...rks_70yrs.aspx
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Yes! Thanks.
    As to the 94 year old gentleman, WOW! I'll need to lay in a few more cases of Red Breast (Irish Whisky) to make it to my 90's.
    1983 R80ST
    2010 R1200GS

I was going to work till I was 70. I really enjoyed and was energized (mentally) by work. My last ten years of employment, I worked in the field, traveled all over the left coast and the left coast of Canada. Made new friends, helped in technical training, assisted engineers and architects on new projects. The best high was problem solving...conflict resolution between corporate crazy, corporate customers (contractor and distributor) and the end user. It doesn't get any better than that...if you love problem solving and consensus building! Anyway, I decided to build a new house (the retirement thing) and then decided that I could not do a good job of both at the same time, so I retired about a year and a half early. Built the house, about one year rather than three, and then was appointed to the County Planning Commission. Thus I'm back in the conflict resolution business. Also, now had the time to get a bike again (R1200C), after about a twenty five year sans bike period, and enjoy the many mountain roads all around me. It's almost like "eating your cake and having it too"! And, the icing on the cake, I also get to work in my new woodworking shop building furniture and "stuff".