Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    I sure have enjoyed all the comments and surprised that most guys spend their life doing something they don't like to do.
    Hats off for doing something that tough for so long, I did try it for a few years, decided it would kill me if I didn't kill somebody first.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I am enjoying this thread immensely, please keep the stories coming.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Congrats on the new phase of your life. There is indeed life after retirement and it will be as good as you make it to be. Do not forget that you worked decades to achieve it so enjoy it as much as you can every day.

Also keep in mind that sometimes retirement seems to make you busier than you were when you were working. Don't know how that happens at times but it seems to be true. So if you find yourself feeling that way, fire yourself and go lay on the couch for a bit until the feeling passes....
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

RK Ryder
    [QUOTE=jdubick;736756]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    I sure have enjoyed all the comments and surprised that most guys spend their life doing something they don't like to do. Jim in Alabama
    I am in totally agreement with you.

In my case, I loved teaching. I was a teacher's teacher as well as a kid's teacher. I'd show up at 7:00 a.m. every morning, in order to get my day ready, as well as being ready to help staff who needed help with their computers, their AV equipment or library materials for their lessons. I used to work for another hour and a half or more finishing up the day's work and helping other staff, as well as doing lesson preps at night. I was one of two who did most of the extra-curricular activities. I could never imagine retiring because I enjoyed what I did so much. Never had to look at the clock other than to wonder how the day had slipped away so quickly.

Then one day in May (almost 9 years ago), the word retirement entered my head for a reason unknown to me. I felt sorry for those who wished me well but confided that they "had to put in another 10 or 15 years before they could get their pension." What a waste of their lives and their students' education if they were "putting in time."

Once I retired, I discovered that I had time to babysit my granddaughter, garden, read, play squash again, build small home projects, cycle and return to motorcycling and long distance touring. In other words, I was being blessed with a very different life. As for supply teaching, as many retired teachers in our system do, it offered no appeal; been there, done that, time to do different things.

I was equally blessed with my love of wedding photography. I now only do portraits or weddings during the winter as I explain to summer clients that I am already booked for their requested day; I'd hate to miss a motorcycle trip due to a photo shoot.

Retirement is something that all should experience. Unfortunately I sometimes discover some old friends don't live long enough to retire or die shortly after retiring. Hence, I believe in living each day, doing what can be done and afforded, as we never know what might happen tomorrow.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

fast approaching target age

I will turn 62 the middle of February, my target age, meaning I can retire without penalty. I am fortunate to have a "defined benefit pension" that I will get, as well as being able to draw social security.

I have worked as a construction engineer so my time off in good weather has been almost non-existent. I've squeezed in a handful of bike trips, but only the week-long variety.

I have to admit that retiring for me is a difficult concept to deal with. I have mixed emotions about it. I don't feel old enough to retire, but at the same time, the face in the mirror is not getting any younger. I worry about having enough money after I retire. I'll have 29 years in at my current job, so that amount of time would give me a decent pension, although not a great one.

My boss is an unpleasant, in-your-face micro-manager. I call him my "retirement incentive."

I'll probably retire by mid-July of this year unless I chicken out.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Please continue this great discussion

As someone who is struggling to make the decision to 'retire' or not, I keep thinking of all the reasons pro and con and never seem to be able to resolve them. It's almost as if I want everything to be perfect before making the leap. Is that unusual? I have seen some people around me make the decision easily and go on to awesome experiences and others force to because of downsizing companies or illness and yet land on their feet and end up feeling and doing better overall than working for someone else every day. Is making the decision and acting on it that difficult for everyone?

Confused...
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

From MARS
    Ken, when retirement is a voluntary decision, there are a lot of "should's" that come into play. Someday, the desire to retire will overcome the fear of retiring, and you'll be gone.

For me, there was some guilt to work thru, as well. After I retired from working a regular job, I felt guilty for not being at work. That good Catholic guilt kicked in for about 6 months, but I beat it!

Tom

What a great post I'll probably retire some time this year at 59 it's still kind of scary or should I say different but that's what makes it interesting hell maybe I can get a job dancing with the Chippendale's on the senior tour

Seeking Mental Floss
    STATUS UPDATE!!!

Today is my last working Monday ever. I have vacation on Friday, and Monday next week is MLK Day. Six more working days left!

Am I excited, or what?

Retirement or do something different?

Interesting thread.

I'm one of those folks with an old-style pension working with folks that had a choice 25+ yrs ago. As you can guess, I don't talk too much at work about any future plans. However, after you've done something for a few decades, it is time to move on to new challenges or different perspectives. In a few years that will be me. What happens at that time will be as much a mystery to me as tomorrow is today.

A few years ago, I read an article on the naming of a new CEO for BMW AG. According to the article, BMW selects perspective upper management candidates when they are in their early 40"s, puts them on a path and then selects new CEO's that's in his early 50's from that pool of candidates. At age 60, the CEO must retire from his position, but can stay with the company in some technical or professional role. In many aspects, I like that idea. Give the guy some training, if he's good let him be the boss for 8~10-yrs, then get some new blood in the top spot.

New blood is always good and we can all be that in a new spot or place.

Good luck.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    I am new to this organization and have been in awe of the number of miles traveled per year by the members. I think to myself, ÔÇ£What do these people do that affords them so much time off to ride all over the world?ÔÇØ Now I know. Congratulations to all of you retired riding people. I will get there someday and ride along with you but until then itÔÇÖs just 2 weekÔÇÖs vacation a year. I envy you and cannot wait till the time comes for me to retire.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    I am new to this organization and have been in awe of the number of miles traveled per year by the members. I think to myself, “What do these people do that affords them so much time off to ride all over the world?” Now I know. Congratulations to all of you retired riding people. I will get there someday and ride along with you but until then it’s just 2 week’s vacation a year. I envy you and cannot wait till the time comes for me to retire.
    Whoa, hold on there big fella! Don't get the idea that any of us poor pensioners are saying the purpose of the first 75% of one's life is to get the last 25% in retirement. I'd love to be 30 again and only have vacations available to take long rides. Enjoy it while you have it, but prepare for when it's gone, and know that when your time comes it can be a blast. I just hope no one starts a thread asking this group to list all their aches and pains; now that will scare the snot out of you.

P.S. I mispent my adolescence in Virginia Beach. Great place to find trouble when you are a teenager.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    I just hope no one starts a thread asking this group to list all their aches and pains; now that will scare the snot out of you.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

This has been a really interesting thread ever since I received a letter last summer letting me know that my projected retirement date has already passed...
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    P.S. I mispent my adolescence in Virginia Beach. Great place to find trouble when you are a teenager.
    I mispent my youth working and being responsible. Not planning to make that mistake when I reach retirment age.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.