Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 283

Thread: Retirement!!!

  1. #256
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina Coast
    Posts
    404

    Retirement Plans . . . . .

    While I love working and riding my airhead, our plans for the next year are very different. The BMW goes into mothballs and my wife Lisa and I finish a 9 year project to complete our 1984 Nauticat 33 and go sailing. We have done a total refit and she is better than when new. I am retiring from teaching in June '14 and she will not work for at least a year. Our plans call for a trip to Washington, DC to see the museums and sights, then to Annapolis, MD for the International Sailboat Show in early October. Then south (slowly) eventually arriving in Miami for the holidays. Then in January off to the Bahamas for the winter. After that who knows? Health is good for both of us and that is the most important thing. Bon Voyage!!!
    Campbell Tellman
    '93 R100RT

  2. #257
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    891
    While I asked for a June 8th date, my employer asked me to stay a little longer to help with the transition which I agreed to and today was it - I rode home from work (on my wife's bike - another thread) to start an exciting new chapter.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

  3. #258
    Registered User Firenailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Westchester, N.Y.
    Posts
    297
    Congrats to both of you! Once you adjust to having no real schedule you're going to love retirement, I'd never go back!

    A nice sailing voyage is a wonderful way to break into the retirement lifestyle, enjoy!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

  4. #259
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,318
    Congrats, Ken. Now you can work full time getting that bike back on the road.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  5. #260
    Registered User mike m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    106
    Great to see all these posts. I'm 55 and taking a new job in San Diego thinking that this is my last gig. I'm hoping it's the jackpot and will be able to finish putting my two kids through college and get the other one married. Very proud of my kids and happy my wife and I will be empty nesters for the first time. Going to enjoy things and have some fun.

    Pre retirement can be very nerve-wracking. Hope we make it to the promised land!
    Last edited by mike m; 06-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

  6. #261
    Riding for the SON
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pasco Wa.
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by mike m View Post
    Great to see all these posts. I'm 55 and taking a new job in San Diego thinking that this is my last gig. I'm hoping it's the jackpot and will be able to finish putting my two kids through college and get the other one married. Very proud of my kids and happy my wife and I will be empty nesters for the first time. Going to enjoy things and have some fun.

    Pre retirement can be very nerve-wracking. Hope we make it to the promised land!
    Let the kids take care of themselves, and you start stock plying for the great life of retirement. Make sure every thing is payed for and a new bike in the garage.

  7. #262
    Registered User MTHelmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Danielsville, PA
    Posts
    333
    Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be.

    IT IS A LOT BETTER, EVEN WHEN YOU BODY KEEPS FIGHTING INTO YOU RIDING TIME.


    Enjoy it. 13 years an counting.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

  8. #263
    13278
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    104

    Retirement!!!!

    I added another exclamation point to the title. I cannot believe how nice retirement is, and it keeps getting better.

    Riding/motorcycles are my 1st hobby and I left on a months ride 2 days after my last day at work. Now, on short or long trips, when the front wheel points toward home there is no more "gotta go back to work" ! Big difference.

    My former boss said "You'll be back". Now I send him postcards from everywhere regularly and tell him about my days biggest decisions. Stuff like "should I wear socks today?" Rode to Labrador last year and didn't wear socks the whole trip.

    In reality, I only have 20 years +- of riding left and I have a lot of riding to do and places to go. Work would really get in the way now. I am truly very fortunate to be able to retire and feel like Gomer Pile when I say "Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya"

    I hope my last ride is on two wheels, up the sidewalk to the hospital where I was born, at which time I will fall over (one more time) dead, without putting the side stand down.
    Yeah for retirement !!!!
    Charlie

  9. #264
    Riding for the SON
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pasco Wa.
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    I added another exclamation point to the title. I cannot believe how nice retirement is, and it keeps getting better.

    Riding/motorcycles are my 1st hobby and I left on a months ride 2 days after my last day at work. Now, on short or long trips, when the front wheel points toward home there is no more "gotta go back to work" ! Big difference.

    My former boss said "You'll be back". Now I send him postcards from everywhere regularly and tell him about my days biggest decisions. Stuff like "should I wear socks today?" Rode to Labrador last year and didn't wear socks the whole trip.

    In reality, I only have 20 years +- of riding left and I have a lot of riding to do and places to go. Work would really get in the way now. I am truly very fortunate to be able to retire and feel like Gomer Pile when I say "Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya"

    I hope my last ride is on two wheels, up the sidewalk to the hospital where I was born, at which time I will fall over (one more time) dead, without putting the side stand down.
    Yeah for retirement !!!!
    Charlie
    Happy Happy Happy.

  10. #265
    Cupcake greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central Valley California
    Posts
    104
    Coming up on 3 years since I retired. I remember my Dad telling me when he retired "I don't know how I had time to work". I now know what he was talking about.
    I LOVE being retired. My wife is still working, her choice, but she works at a collage and has big blocks of time off. June, July, and August. From Thanksgiving to the second week in January and Spring Break. Makes it nice for us to do things together AND it gives me plenty of time for myself.

    I highly recommend retirement!
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200, 1978 R100/7

  11. #266
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,947
    Nearly three years for us as well. Can't believe they keep paying me to do whatever I want. I fear the pension system so many of us are benefiting from will not be there for our kids.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  12. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    I added another exclamation point to the title. I cannot believe how nice retirement is, and it keeps getting better.

    Riding/motorcycles are my 1st hobby and I left on a months ride 2 days after my last day at work. Now, on short or long trips, when the front wheel points toward home there is no more "gotta go back to work" ! Big difference.

    My former boss said "You'll be back". Now I send him postcards from everywhere regularly and tell him about my days biggest decisions. Stuff like "should I wear socks today?" Rode to Labrador last year and didn't wear socks the whole trip.

    In reality, I only have 20 years +- of riding left and I have a lot of riding to do and places to go. Work would really get in the way now. I am truly very fortunate to be able to retire and feel like Gomer Pile when I say "Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya"

    I hope my last ride is on two wheels, up the sidewalk to the hospital where I was born, at which time I will fall over (one more time) dead, without putting the side stand down.
    Yeah for retirement !!!!
    Charlie
    That's a "weird way to die". Also troublesome for the hospital folks? Now that almost every adult male in the USA has Sleep Apnea (so it seems?) I told my wife that the classic way to die having been to die "peacefully in your sleep" may be coming your way?
    Retirement-it's all about ones health. Moolah is good but health is THE THING. Wow, I gotta get to work...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  13. #268
    Registered User richardak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Nearly three years for us as well. Can't believe they keep paying me to do whatever I want. I fear the pension system so many of us are benefiting from will not be there for our kids.
    Stop tempting me!!
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

  14. #269
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Nearly three years for us as well. Can't believe they keep paying me to do whatever I want. I fear the pension system so many of us are benefiting from will not be there for our kids.
    I've been retired 11+ years now that started when I was 55. I haven't regretted it for a second. There are many more important things in the world than money. I wouldn't trade the time I have been able to spend with my wife, kids and grandchildren for any amount of money in the world. The may thousands of miles I have been able to ride cannot be given a value. When really good riding roads are at the end of your driveway and you have 3 or 4 fellow old codgers that will go anytime you want to ride, life is good.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  15. #270
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by ROYBARNES View Post
    Let the kids take care of themselves, and you start stock plying for the great life of retirement. Make sure every thing is payed for and a new bike in the garage.
    In the 60 and 70's you could easily say............let the kids take care of themselves. A part-time job would pay for a degree at a public college. That isn't the case today. Tuition costs have inflated faster than health care.

    Playing the stock market............may the gods be with you.

    Making career changes at 55 with pending financial obligations is scary.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •