Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Me Too!

I finally put my official notice to retire on paper and sent it via priority mail to corporate HQ after 32.5 years with my current employer. I decided that 59 years young was about right to begin the next journey. My last day is set for June 8. I am off work on sick leave due to cancer surgery until May 5 so this gives me a month of actual work to hand off and wind down the work part. So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I finally put my official notice to retire on paper and sent it via priority mail to corporate HQ after 32.5 years with my current employer. I decided that 59 years young was about right to begin the next journey. My last day is set for June 8. I am off work on sick leave due to cancer surgery until May 5 so this gives me a month of actual work to hand off and wind down the work part. So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here.
    Good for you...do all those things you haven't had free time to do...live it while ya got it! Greater future to you.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    So true, I sure don't miss meetings!
    A co-worker sent me an e-mail with this YouTube video "The Expert" and commented "does this sound familiar?"

I just loved that opener "Our company has a new strategic initiative"...I just love those BS buzz words/lingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Who has time to be bored during retirement?

I dropped the engine & transmission of my car to detail them with new fasteners, gaskets, seals, O-rings and to re-plate (yellow zinc) any metal bracket that had the slightest corrosion on them as well as powder coating the engine tin.

And I am in no rush to "slap it together". The GS will be happy since it has had to share time with the 993 the last few years.

BTW, that is the rear wheel of a 1986 R80 G/S PD in the right corner.

Congrats Ken, glad to hear you're starting the big vacation. Less than six years to go for me to retirement, so I'll have to get by with the little vacations.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    . So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here.
    Freedom in retirement .........what's dat?

I have never been so busy as I have been in these first two years of retirement! As they say, "retirement, you never get a day off"

Enjoy it, even busy as heck, it sure beats the work'n thing

Marine By Choice #188306

5 Saturdays and 2 Sundays every week!

I retired in September 2013.

Someone asked me what it is like. My reply "5 Saturdays and 2 Sundays each week".

Loving it, not bored, and have discovered naps.

Life is good!
    "Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
    "Son, you can't do both."

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I dropped the engine & transmission of my car...
    I wondered when that would be coming out. Any surprise finds?

I finally put my official notice to retire...bogthebasher
    Congratulations, Ken! I know you were mulling over whether to do this, a while back.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Obviously, the "expert" doesn't understand that the product has to be the result of a "system" design and he is hindering that process by offering his limited scope opinions. As such, we foresee a pink slip in his future.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post

When I retired I bought a almost new BMW K-75 which I told my wife was the last motorcycle I had to buy. 10 motorcycles later, I am still looking for my next "last" motorcycle.

Enjoy life and retirement, Keep Healty
    How true. When I retired at 56 I started looking at motorcycles and told my wife that I only wanted to try just one to get it out of my system......Six different motorcycles later, I'm still looking for the next adventure! And my wife originally said that a motorcycle was not figured into the retirement budget! So I retired,redirected my focus and found a part time teaching position on-line to pay for my adventures....been working out great for seven years.

I love this thread!

I have five years, eight months, and two days (Jan 15, 2020/I'll be 59 yo) until I reach the day I become eligible to retire from my second job. I retired from the Marines in '99.

I'm thinking it isn't worth more money to spend more time in the office (as pointed out by other posters).

I'm rounding down and calling it five years.
    Rich
    Night Black 2000 R1100RT
    Marakesh Red 1988 K75S "The S is, by far, the finest-handling BMW we have ever ridden." Motorcyclist, November 1986

I just celebrated my 4th year of retirement, and still can't believe it! It seems like yesterday.

I hope those 5 go quick for you because this retirement gig is pretty great! Every day is Saturday.

Riding, fishing, hunting, shooting, every day is better than yesterday, you're going to love it.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

I think I am at 5.5 years since I left full time organized employment. Never looked back or had any regrets of doing so.

I am so busy doing what I like to do and so much happier...except forgetting what day it is As I have mentioned before, I am physically busier than I have been in years since leaving the organized chaos. I tend to skip riding on weekends lately in favor of weekday rides to enjoy open roads more.
    Life is good!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I just celebrated my 4th year of retirement, and still can't believe it! It seems like yesterday.

I hope those 5 go quick for you because this retirement gig is pretty great! Every day is Saturday.

Riding, fishing, hunting, shooting, every day is better than yesterday, you're going to love it.
    I have considered everyday after the first 2 years of retirement as a bonus day! I'm around 1825 bonus days redeemed now......and hopefully counting!

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    I wondered when that would be coming out. Any surprise finds?
    Not a single one. I lucked in big time on this car.

BTW, almost six months since retirement...and loving it.

Leaving the Federal Government was the best thing I could do. I got so tired of the BS and idiots running things. Your tax dollars hard at work.

And I left early and with a huge penalty. Why would I want to work for a place that hands the exam answers weeks in advance to another candidate in a competition I am running for. The complaint to the PSC got shoved under the carpet. May those that kept me down have health issues during their retirement....no mercy from me.