Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
    Congrats Harry, and welcome to the club! In 4 days, I'll have a year under my belt..... never been busier!
    Thanks! It's funny that way. I've got a PS3 and I haven't played a game on it since I left work because I've been too busy.

The way I look at retirement is now I can be whoever I was meant to be, and not be defined by the job I had. I liked my job and do miss it a little, but I'm in a new phase of my life and will do my best to enjoy it.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    I'd say lucky in the most important ways. Before you kick the bucket, ask her if she wants to move out west and take on another project. Sounds like a great partner. Congratulations.
    We talk about moving out west , but I am not sure we could manage another move financially with the way real estate values are today.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I might have worked another year, but I think my decision was a good one. I see a lot of people retiring at 55, which seems a bit young, but some think I am retiring too soon at age 63, so who knows? Time will tell.

I have a project I'm working on to challenge me and keep me busy, and there are others available if I should lose interest in this one.
    Harry
    I suspect that those who think you are retiring too soon are the ones that didn't plan properly and can't retire. When I was 24, I made a plan to retire at 55. I proved that with proper planning, even someone with a modest salary can retire early. I have been retired 10 years and have not regretted retiring early at all. I watched two older cousins delay retirement after they had far more assets than they would spend the rest of their lives. They retired and had medical problems that prevented them from enjoying their retirement and they didn't live long after they retired. I asked both of them a simple question that I asked myself when I became 55. I asked them how the additional income from not retiring would change their lifestyle. They said they would live the same way. When I asked them what was the point of working if they would do nothing different, they didn't have an answer. I think they feared change. Just before he died, my older cousin changed his mine and said he wished he had retired early and said I was right.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Thanks! It's funny that way. I've got a PS3 and I haven't played a game on it since I left work because I've been too busy.

The way I look at retirement is now I can be whoever I was meant to be, and not be defined by the job I had. I liked my job and do miss it a little, but I'm in a new phase of my life and will do my best to enjoy it.

Harry
    Harry, congrats on retirement!

Your statement hit home with me. When you are on the job for a long period of time you sometimes start to wonder if you molded the job or the job molded you? Probably a little of both. As with you, I liked my job and many of the people I worked with. That being said, I have been retired for 4 years and would not change anything. This new life of some freedom to choose what I want to do today is pretty nice. Ok, what ever my wife tells me I am going to do today!

John

Just signed my papers today!
    Will fax them in tomorrow.

27 1/2 years is enough!

Wish me luck!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I suspect that those who think you are retiring too soon are the ones that didn't plan properly and can't retire.
    Admittedly, there is some luck involved, too. I was able to keep my last job for more than 30 years, unusual in today's world. But I also have seen people who think of "save" as a 4-letter word and have no savings at all, only debt, so I agree with you on that point. And I recognize that health is definitely a part of the equation regarding retirement. I wanted to retire while my health was still good enough to allow me to enjoy those things I sacrificed while I was working, like long tours on the bike. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement. I am still in the process of adjusting to mine, and hearing good things from retirees is definitely something I appreciate.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post

27 1/2 years is enough!

Wish me luck!
    Best of luck to you, Darryl. How did you feel when you made the decision to retire? I felt really good when I signed my papers and it definitely felt "right" to me.

I hope to do more bike travel and socialize with old and new riding buddies. (I wish this snow would stop!)

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

I have been off work due to an injury on the job for almost 4 years and I am having 1 knee surgery next Monday and another later this year. The timing was right for me, too bad my wife can't go yet. Next year will be better. Won't be able to ride for a bit
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post

27 1/2 years is enough!

Wish me luck!
    Just remember you have six Saturdays and one Sunday a week.
    Be blessed
    Roy

One more week from me and I'm punching out for the last time. It's been a good long run of almost 28 years with the same company. I've done everything that I can and it's time to pass it on to the younger guys. The day after I retire, my wife will saddle up her R1100R and I'll get on my R1150GSA and we're heading out on our annual Spring Wildflower Ride. I can't wait! You can always make more money but you can't buy more time.

Been 2.5 years since i got out now and i'am looking out the window at the snow comming down thinking how i was treated before i retired. I missed one day of work in 25 years and took much pride in what i did but somehow now days seems like employees are not treated with much respect. Ow well they got what they wanted but so did i !

To the person who started this thread......how is it going?

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I was planning on going this year. A few weeks ago received an email that the company is looking to downsize a little through Enhanced Retirement Package, for which I'm eligible. So, they don't want me anymore, and they are going to give me money to go away. Hmmm...Okay! Sent the papers in, waiting for THE DAY!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    I was planning on going this year. A few weeks ago received an email that the company is looking to downsize a little through Enhanced Retirement Package, for which I'm eligible. So, they don't want me anymore, and they are going to give me money to go away. Hmmm...Okay! Sent the papers in, waiting for THE DAY!
    Congrats, Randy! And when is "THE DAY" ?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 85801 View Post
    To the person who started this thread......how is it going?
    Hugh is either golfing or his GoldWing is parked in front of a TX Dairy Queen having some ice cream
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait