Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    398 days until I'm eligible to retire from my government job.
    It's gonna be great!
    But who's counting? (LOL)
    Let the count down begin.
    Enjoy your last year and your new life that begins in retirement.
    John

Actually there's an app for that. It's called "Days Until". I believe it's free at iTunes' App Store.
    I'll likely end up working 6-18 months after the eligibility date in order to reinforce the cash reserves. And to get a new bike. And a car. And...
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    My pension was the foundation of my retirement plan. Fortunately, since I planned to retire a) early, and b) comfortably (not just surviving), I squirreled away some 'extra.' Now, what was supposed to be beer money is the main cache. So... my thought is to adjust my expectations for retirement, see what kind of lifestyle I can support (that includes at least one Beemer), and plan a new exit strategy.

I know I can't go at my original target date, but what I might be able to do is reduce my hours (say, work one less day a week), so that I can enjoy life a little more now, as opposed to beating myself to death for the sake of leaving behind a larger estate.

Like many have said, it can be a question of balance.

Tim
    Tim,

Just be careful and don't put too much trust any financial advisers...you are their beast of burden. 3.5% is a reasonable estimate for a long term rate of return, if you take on some risk (i.e., stock heavy portfolio).

If you're single, a new, wealthier spouse is a tried and true solution, that might not be too painful.

Seriously, good luck. We all fear what you're going through.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    398 days until I'm eligible to retire from my government job.
    It's gonna be great!
    Wow, you Canadians really are different. Saying "retirement" and" Government" can usually get you run out of town on this side of border.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Geoxman
    Every day, Canada looks better and better! I just love BC!!

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Just be careful and don't put too much trust any financial advisers...
    Not to worry. My guy is completely trustworthy. He has me heavily invested in Enron.

If you're single, a new, wealthier spouse is a tried and true solution, that might not be too painful.
    I can barely afford the spouse I have now. Replacing her would be prohibitive, and possibly hazardous.

Seriously, good luck. We all fear what you're going through.
    Thanks. I'm actually lucky...some of my co-workers had the rug yanked out just days before they walked out the door. That, in my opinion, was criminal. At least I have some time to adjust and recover.

There's always someone better off, and there's always someone in worse shape. You just have to do the best you can with the cards you are dealt.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Not to worry. My guy is completely trustworthy. He has me heavily invested in Enron.
    I used to have that same guy when he worked at Merrill Lynch...........had me heavily invested in the ML Growth fund that was managed by a Cocaine fiend. Only took 2-yrs for ML to figure out the fund manager was doing serious blow..........the market was steadily rising and the fund was dropping like a rock. It seems no one really cared.............I just kept sending money............

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6OCL View Post
    Every day, Canada looks better and better! I just love BC!!
    Sorry, we have closed the gates!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Sorry, we have closed the gates!
    But, but, but............we're smart and good looking! We'll make your neighborhoods look good. We promise.

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar

The Importance of having an occupation after retirtement

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world.
    It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.
    Scooter Trash is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM SCOOTER:
    "I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
    Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
    It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Scooter should be an inspiration to us all.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

That sounds like a good plan to me.
    I'll think take an early retirement.
    To the Beer Store!!
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world.
    It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.
    Scooter Trash is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM SCOOTER:
    "I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
    Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
    It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Scooter should be an inspiration to us all.
    Man, that is funny!!! Well said......

I did it

I did finally decide to retire. My official retirement date is April 11th, but I had so much vacation time on the books, not being able to take much time off for years that I have been home for 6 weeks using accruals.

I am 63, everything is paid off, the boss is a jerk, and I have a decent pension and social security will start soon. Part of the reason to retire is because I am one of the lucky ones who can. We also have savings from living a modest lifestyle.

So far I've kept busy and I am making the transition to retired life more quickly than I thought I would. I may get a new bike, but I'll do a long road trip this spring to make sure I can handle it physically before I commit to a new bike. Besides, the old one runs fine.

I might have worked another year, but I think my decision was a good one. I see a lot of people retiring at 55, which seems a bit young, but some think I am retiring too soon at age 63, so who knows? Time will tell.

I have a project I'm working on to challenge me and keep me busy, and there are others available if I should lose interest in this one.

It's snowing right now, but warmer weather is coming and I can finally go on any ride I want, go to any rally or part of the country and hopefully that works out and I'll see some of you in my travels!

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Congrats Harry, and welcome to the club! In 4 days, I'll have a year under my belt..... never been busier!

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    My retirement was sort of forced upon me due to some health issues. Got most of that worked out , well as good as it will probably get anyway.

Money was a big worry for me since i spent most of what I had during my recovery/rehab period. Not much insurance since I was self employed.

Lucky for me my wife is a bit younger and healthy, she continues to work( for about 3 more years) and understands/approves of my motorcycle hobby/lifestyle.

She encourages me to keep riding as long as i feel good and admonishes me if i mention anything about money. She say's we will work it out no matter what.
    Sometimes i feel a bit guilty about leaving her and wandering off on the motorcycle, but she says she does not mind . She says she enjoys hearing my tales of the road.

I'm a lucky guy in a lot of ways
    I'd say lucky in the most important ways. Before you kick the bucket, ask her if she wants to move out west and take on another project. Sounds like a great partner. Congratulations.