Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    HOORAH AKsuited
    Thank you.

I plan on leveraging my interest in touring on the bike to get me the heck out of there.

A buddy of mine is pushing 70 and still working with no plans to ever retire from what I can tell. The guy scares me

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    A buddy of mine is pushing 70 and still working with no plans to ever retire from what I can tell. The guy scares me
    And let me ask you.....what does your buddy bring to his job? New approaches and ideas? Any new designs?

Retirement is good for you, your employer and the smart young folks that need the experience of doing your job. Everyone benefits by gaining experience and there is rarely one best answer to any problem.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    You make things sound so good, you almost want to make me take up golf..........almost!
    Golf is the best game I have ever hated!
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

Good to hear you're having fun, Hugh.

In the summer do you play your rounds very early in the morning?
    Last edited by rinty; 04-21-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    And let me ask you.....what does your buddy bring to his job? New approaches and ideas? Any new designs?
    He has a cushy job that is low-stress. He has no new ideas or ever does anything controversial.

The sad part is he has a defined-benefit pension with so many years in that his income would go up when he retires, not down, since he would also collect social security on top of a pension that is almost as much as his salary. And since he has put off social security for about 8 years, he will be raking that in, too.

None of it makes any sense, and as you point out, a young person somewhere is doing without a job...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    He has a cushy job that is low-stress. He has no new ideas or ever does anything controversial.

The sad part is he has a defined-benefit pension with so many years in that his income would go up when he retires, not down, since he would also collect social security on top of a pension that is almost as much as his salary. And since he has put off social security for about 8 years, he will be raking that in, too.

None of it makes any sense, and as you point out, a young person somewhere is doing without a job...

Harry
    When I see cases like that, I really appreciate BMW's management philosophy which cycles people through management positions. Do your job then move on.......let the next guy have a chance to do a better job. Hopefully, he does and we get something called progress.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

None of it makes any sense...AKsuited
    For some people, money is not the motivater, they get satisfaction from what they are doing. Or, having realized they have no more stuff to buy, they have a new perspective on figuring out what gives them the most satisfaction in life.

One of my clients, who has a very high net worth, is still doing deals at 78.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Retirement is closer than I ever imagined.
    Susan
    '03 F650CS "tink" (sold)
    ÔÇ£City girl who adapts well for short periods of time." J. Bainbridge (Idaho boy)
    "The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds.." Unknown

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    For some people, money is not the motivater, they get satisfaction from what they are doing. Or, having realized they have no more stuff to buy, they have a new perspective on figuring out what gives them the most satisfaction in life.

One of my clients, who has a very high net worth, is still doing deals at 78.
    I think a lot of it is the fear of change as well as the fear of making a wrong decision. My aunt and uncle were products of the depression and continued to work and would not buy things they needed even though they were worth millions. My uncle stopped when he died and my aunt stopped when she was sent to a nursing home.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Good to hear you're having fun, Hugh.

In the summer do you play your rounds very early in the morning?
    Sorry for the late response....I've been at the beach! I play anytime, love the heat of the afternoon when the bones don't hurt as much. But I play in the mornings on weekends when my buddies who are still working want to work golf in. I'm also volunteering as a rules official for some of the local amateur and junior tournaments, which is very rewarding and enjoyable. Have to limit that, though, cause it almost resembles work!
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

A few years ago my employer went through some tough times (now we're making solid profits). During the tough period, management convinced our union representatives that if they didn't give up our retirement fund, the company would fail. With the stroke of a pen, and without a rank and file vote, our pensions were gone. This is not to start a union vs. management debate, just to set up the following:

The joke going around the company now is:

The bad news is: you now have to work 'till you die.

The good news is: it probably won't be that long.

Thanks to all for your comments regarding retirement. There have been major changes at my company that seriously affect my lifestyle. Though I still love my work, conditions have changed and I can see that if I hang on until my mandatory retirement age, I'll be a candidate for the above 'work until you die,' and it won't, unfortunately, be a joke.

This thread has convinced me that it's time to do some serious self-education followed by a decision. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Though I still love my work, conditions have changed and I can see that if I hang on until my mandatory retirement age, I'll be a candidate for the above 'work until you die,' and it won't, unfortunately, be a joke.

This thread has convinced me that it's time to do some serious self-education followed by a decision. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Tim
    If your pension is gone.......how do you have any option other than working until your savings can support you?

Thumbs up

Dec 28, 2012 is my last working day. I'm looking forward to retirement. Since turning 70 in August I've been making a bucket list of things to do while I'm stiill able to ride. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    If your pension is gone.......how do you have any option other than working until your savings can support you?
    My pension was the foundation of my retirement plan. Fortunately, since I planned to retire a) early, and b) comfortably (not just surviving), I squirreled away some 'extra.' Now, what was supposed to be beer money is the main cache. So... my thought is to adjust my expectations for retirement, see what kind of lifestyle I can support (that includes at least one Beemer), and plan a new exit strategy.

I know I can't go at my original target date, but what I might be able to do is reduce my hours (say, work one less day a week), so that I can enjoy life a little more now, as opposed to beating myself to death for the sake of leaving behind a larger estate.

Like many have said, it can be a question of balance.

Tim

398 days until I'm eligible to retire from my government job.
    It's gonna be great!
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.