Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement!!!

AMEN to the above by Kevin!
    When I took the course "Advanced Human Growth & Development" the course name wasn't about being a "top level course" (Masters in Counseling), it was about a humans senior years. Many participating in this thread are in what is (in chalkboard lingo) "their active senior years". There is always the lingering concern of when they end & how but, making the most of them is important as a part of a healthy life style & having the time to reap the benefits of such is the it!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    AMEN to the above by Kevin!
    When I took the course "Advanced Human Growth & Development" the course name wasn't about being a "top level course" (Masters in Counseling), it was about a humans senior years. Many participating in this thread are in what is (in chalkboard lingo) "their active senior years". There is always the lingering concern of when they end & how but, making the most of them is important as a part of a healthy life style & having the time to reap the benefits of such is the it!
    So true, what you have said.

We reach a stage in our lives when we know there are fewer birthdays ahead of us than are behind, and begin to fixate on our mortality, and the method of our final exit.

The doctor told me recently, my heart is in no shape for intense sex. At least I know how I'm going to die!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    So true, what you have said.

We reach a stage in our lives when we know there are fewer birthdays ahead of us than are behind, and begin to fixate on our mortality, and the method of our final exit.

The doctor told me recently, my heart is in no shape for intense sex. At least I know how I'm going to die!
    Now that was funny!!! With that humor and quotes, are some great advise from whom I believe to be a wise man. Law Enforcement and the Fire Service allow for some rare insite and a reminder as to just how fragile life can be.

I love the work I did for 32 years in the Fire Service. My wife just retired last week with very little retirement after 10 years working at a grammer school. (She was a stay at home mom for our two sons prior) We both decided that time together was worth more than her annual income. We are not monetarily rich. We can pay our bills and have a little money left over for some road trips. Being happy was to simplify our lives and remove some of the daily stress. Yes, we are very foutunate. Retirement is what you make it....

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Talking

I've worked as an electronic manufacturing tech, bench tech, service tech, guitar amp tech, roadie, sound man, FOH concert mixer, mixing console builder, recording engineer, truck driver, church organ dealer, installer, and field service tech. I've employed as many as five people, and have supervised as many as 100 electronic assemblers. For the last 30 years, I've been repairing church organs and will keep at it until I drop. Going to a different place every day appeals to me, especially when I can take the bike.

9 to 5 was alien to me, and so is retirement. Hat's off to you retired folks for all those years of being there on someone else's clock. I had a couple or three years of jobs like that in my life, but the rest of the time has been spent doing things I wanted to do, largely on my own time and schedule.

I've carved out my own niche, too much stress to go through my life any other way.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

dude987
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Touche. Well done. A sense of humor is the spice of life.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    ...9 to 5 was alien to me, and so is retirement. Hat's off to you retired folks for all those years of being there on someone else's clock. I had a couple or three years of jobs like that in my life, but the rest of the time has been spent doing things I wanted to do, largely on my own time and schedule.

I've carved out my own niche, too much stress to go through my life any other way.
    Tom, you're right. Being on someone else's clock has been a working life full of stress. I'm at half time now, at my request and with the good wishes of my employer, and find everything I do has less stress.
    Dan

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Tom, you're right. Being on someone else's clock has been a working life full of stress. I'm at half time now, at my request and with the good wishes of my employer, and find everything I do has less stress.
    Good for you on the half-time, Dan! Glad to hear it!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by 406409383 View Post
    Did have to sell the house (divorce) after 29 yrs marriage, so it's driving me crazy that I don't have a place to leave to the 3 kids, but do have a (modest) stake.
    I too lost a house and equity after 20 years, moved on , retired, remarried, work for myself now and my adult kids are having kids. I am very content in my life choices at 55.

My three adult children may end up with a motorcycle or two, but I don't feel I have to pass on anything monetary to them. Would do anything in the world for them...almost, but when I'm done here, I'm done, and I'm not worried of who gets what. I never expected to inherit anything from my parents, both children of the Depression who steered us but didn't lead us in life's ways. My parent saved for the rainy day they did not get to enjoy way enough. I am not doing that.

I have friends way older than me with more than enough time in that will not leave work until kids are thru college, have a house, are married and such...they will die in major debt trying to do fund everything. I guess I was raised to do it on my own....whatever works for you may be different.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I too lost a house and equity after 20 years, moved on , retired, remarried, work for myself now and my adult kids are having kids. I am very content in my life choices at 55.

My three adult children may end up with a motorcycle or two, but I don't feel I have to pass on anything monetary to them. Would do anything in the world for them...almost, but when I'm done here, I'm done, and I'm not worried of who gets what. I never expected to inherit anything from my parents, both children of the Depression who steered us but didn't lead us in life's ways. My parent saved for the rainy day they did not get to enjoy way enough. I am not doing that.

I have friends way older than me with more than enough time in that will not leave work until kids are thru college, have a house, are married and such...they will die in major debt trying to do fund everything. I guess I was raised to do it on my own....whatever works for you may be different.
    momentos here and there for the kids upon my untimely demise but aside from that .... And they know it!- Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Congrats to those that are there already.

As for leaving something to my kids, they both already make more money than I do so my job is to leave them with geat memories.
    Last edited by Rad; 02-12-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I had two cousins who had plenty of money but couldn't bring themselves to retire early because of the money they stood to lose if they retired. I asked them what they would do differently if they retired five years later. They both responded "Nothing". They both died shortly after they retired from cancer. I asked myself the same question when I reached 55 and I had the same answer. I retired immediately and 9 years later, I have not regretted it at all.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Next month will be three years since I retired from airline flying had a thirty two year run at it. Decided it was a young mans(woman's) game and I was to old for the BS that has infected the airlines today
    Would I do it over yes
    Would I work longer no
    When you know it's time to pull the plug do it
    The perfect retiree is the one who dies the day after retirement
    Spend your children's inheritance

So you're back to flying T6s in your retirement?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

My father, the holder of an 8th grade diploma and Master Tool & Die maker papers, pointed his children towards college with the wisdom that they'll do no better than he without a degree. Did he pay for college? No. But you could live at home for free as long as you were in school. And, in the 70's, college was still affordable for a kid with a part-time job.

Other than a good start in life, he left his children with the same plot of land that was left to him by his father. In hindsight, the plot of land is a very minor part of the inheritance.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    In hindsight, the plot of land is a very minor part of the inheritance.
    Well said.

The wisdom and guidance with allowance to stumble, were way more valuable and now in hindsight,priceless.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait