Thread: Motorcycle Museum - Pickerington, Ohio

Airhead GS convert...

Motorcycle Museum - Pickerington, Ohio

Been away a bit, finishing book, sharpening my writing skills and camera skills, and planning for this summer's big trip ot Colorado on a dualsport, visiting ghost towns via 4wd trails, and seeing the start of the Ironbutt Rally.

The motorcycle museum is outside Columbus, next door to the AMA HQ.

Visited there on Good Friday, took photos and wrote up a trip report. Went by car, but not feeling particularly guilty given the freezing rain on the trip home.

Anyway, go to:
    www.douggrosjean.com

Then Content, Motorcycle, Columbus Trip. There's also a gallery of nearly 40 photos of the museum. It was a good visit.

Or:
    http://www.douggrosjean.com/modules....howpage&pid=14

Other local items of interest are here:
    http://www.douggrosjean.com/modules....tegories&cid=1

Enjoy!

Cool MX pictures

Gotta love that Rokon. The MX exhibit was curated by BMW MOA member Ed Youngblood. Can't wait to see it on my way to Lima.

Thanks for the report, Doug. Hey... word is that there's soon going to be something at the Museum that's a bit more closer to home for us horoizontally opposed types, on about rally time....

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

MT State of mind
    The National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa will be merging with the Pickerington location. That'll make for some good shows!

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    Thanks for the report, Doug. Hey... word is that there's soon going to be something at the Museum that's a bit more closer to home for us horoizontally opposed types, on about rally time....

Ian
    You're welcome.

And regarding horizontal types. If you scroll down to the bottom of the story, postscript 1... Mark Mederski dropped me an email about the new exhibit which will open just in time for the MOA Rally. I posted his note to the bottom of my story, with his permission.

Talking AMA Museum

I need to stop by there more often. It is less than a mile from my office. That is great news if they are able to expand and have a larger display. Lunch at the motorcycle museum!

BTW, if you go to the museum, stop in Downtown Columbus at the Thurman Cafe for one of the best hambrgers that you will ever try to eat. Or Schmidt's Sausage Haus may be more appropriate.

Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

rocketman
    Nice pics. Like the twin-lens reflex jobs, got a few old cameras myself all of which except one, still work, but still have to add a few twin-lens reflexes to my collection.

Just went and got myself an Nikon slr digital, flim is fun but having made the switch to digital, well..... nothing like Instant gratification..

Oh, and Rokon makes a model (trail-breaker, I think they call it) that floats as well and is rear AND front wheel driven. (it only floats on its side though, oh, well... )

RM

Unregistered
    Is that a Rokon or a Husky????

Mac

The original Rokon was two wheel drive, the wheels were hollow and the tires more like tractor tires. when the wheel was filled with air it would float ( on its side of course) I think you could also fill the wheel with water or gas.
    Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers

Just another rider
    All: FWIW The AMA Museum has announced a new exhibit "BMW:The Mastery of Speed". We have a press blurb here:
    http://bmwmoa.org/rally/rally05/feat...ma_exhibit.htm

Steve Huber
    '05 rally webmaster

Unregistered

Talking BMW Exhibition

Quote Originally Posted by shuber
    All: FWIW The AMA Museum has announced a new exhibit "BMW:The Mastery of Speed". We have a press blurb here:
    http://bmwmoa.org/rally/rally05/feat...ma_exhibit.htm

Steve Huber
    '05 rally webmaster
    How close to Lima is the museum? Half of full day?
    Thanks

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Thanks
    I think it's about 60-70 miles each way, Lima to Columbus.

Museum is on the NE corner of Columbus, town of Pickerington.

It could be a full day, if you took your time at the museum. Or it could be a bit less than a full day, if you wanted to get back to the rally site with adequete time for wine / women / song.

The museum is on the southeast side of Columbus in Pickerington. It is about 1/4 mile southeast of the I-70 and SR interchange off of SR 204.

It is a 2 hour trip one way to the museum from Lima. Too many LEOs to try to do it faster.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

Long Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Thanks
    It's just over 103 miles from the rally site via OH309, OH31, US33, I-270, and I-70, exit 112 (OH256 South). Details can be found here -

http://www.amadirectlink.com/museum/hours.asp
    Chris

1973 R75/5, traded in on...
    2004 R1150RT
    1989 Yamaha Razz