Thread: Montana Route 212 From Crow Agency to Belle Fouche, SD

Montana Route 212 From Crow Agency to Belle Fouche, SD

Has anyone out there been down this road? They say it's a faster and more
    pleasant way to get to Mt. Rushmore than I-90. Can anyone fill me in, how is it? Gas stations, Hotels, camgrounds, etc?? I was thinking of seeing the Little Bighorn Battlefield and then high tailin it over to Devil's Tower........Thanks, Don

The road is fine. The contryside is rolling. Towns are sparce. Gas at Broadus. At least one motel in Broadus.

http://www.broadus-montana.com/index...ng+and+Camping
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Check the map it is only about 200miles from crow agency to Bell Fourche if the highway stays open all the way in. It has been known that at times you get routed off of 212 on to WY 112 down to Hulet, about where the Tower is, and then on to Bell Fourche by way of Wy 24. This detour adds about 40 miles to the trip. But if you were going there any way it should work out for you. Gas is available in Broadus as was a motel several years ago, but I kept on going.....better choice of motels in Bell Fourche.

There is a Sinclair station in Ashland on the south side of the highway. Last time I was through here was in September when we had to go to Chicago. (But we were in the car).

And there is a Conoco station in Lame Deer, about 2 blocks south of the highway. Can't recall the street name, its the main n/s road in town. two or three blocks down, on the east side of the road.

Been on this road a few times on bikes. It is MUCH preferable to the slab. Watch for wildlife. The little pronghorn/antelope things are thicker than flies on the stretch south of Broadus.
    Last edited by flymymbz; 12-30-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Too damn many bikes to list

+1 on all comments. One more thing - sticking pretty close to posted speeds is prob'ly prudent.
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

Quote Originally Posted by w7lej1 View Post
    One more thing - sticking pretty close to posted speeds is prob'ly prudent.
    Yup. I seldom speed while on a Res, and besides, we usually end up behind someone who's in no hurry to go anywhere. The spots to pass are few and far between. And with all the critters out there? This is one stretch where the speed limit suits the road quite well.
    Too damn many bikes to list

We rode this stretch on the way to Sturgis a few years ago. It was enjoyable. A couple of our guys got stopped for speeding, but not ticketed.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."