Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Booster Plug opinions

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog105 View Post
    I posted in December with gaines from a combination of cam sprockets, exhaust and FRK module. I have since taken my R1200ST back to Dave Campbells shop and rechecked the AF ratio and decided to tune with a PC 3. We ended up with more HP thru the midrange than with FRK but the real gains were in torque. The motor picked up 6 ft at 3500 and 19 ft at 5500. Those figures are compared to a stock motor with a free flow exhaust. The HP and TQ modified and stock cross at about 7500 rpm. As you can tell this makes a great motor especially two up and loaded. Most of these gains can be attributed to the cam sprockets and the PC3. For the RT,GS riders looking for more low end and mid range power this could be something you would be interested in.
    What were the actual peak numbers?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

The peak number was a loss of 2 HP at 8000rpm compared to stock with aftermarket exhaust. I don't remember what the torque comparison at 8000 was. I will look it up if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog105 View Post
    The peak number was a loss of 2 HP at 8000rpm compared to stock with aftermarket exhaust. I don't remember what the torque comparison at 8000 was. I will look it up if your interested.
    Most dyne numbers I have read are usually 100HP and 80ft/lbs of torque at the the rear wheel. I might guess from this that the BMW claimed numbers are a little conservative. 10% loss is a little low.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Bmw published figures are at the crank. On top of that every dyno reads different so that is why accurate comparisons are usually done on the same dyne. My peak HP figure was 98 Hp compared to 100 from a identical ST1200 to mine stock with a exhaust system. I was extremely happy with the results achieved with the PC3 because of the hugh gains in the midrange and a loss of only 2HP at 8000 rpm where I rarely if ever see. I knew going in that there was going to be a loss at peak rpm but thought it would be more based on what others using the sprockets have said, however, after seeing the AF ratios with the FRK module we thought the HP and Torque lost could be gained back. We not only gained some back but increase more in the low end and midrange with just a slight loss at 8000rpm where you rarely see anyway.

On the Road
    The HP and torque my bike has is enough for my riding style. But I think the engine is not smooth unless the ambient temp is around 40-45 deg F. So, I'm considering the booster plug.
    But, I want to know if the richer mixture can damage the engine because it's too rich. I doubt it because from the factory it's mapped very lean and the increase in fuel brings it to what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
    But I think the engine is not smooth unless the ambient temp is around 40-45 deg F.
    Devices that map the air input temperature do little to nothing when the bike is in closed loop mode. Once the engine is in closed loop mode meaning it is at operating temperature with a good signal from the O2 sensors and a more or less constant throttle the air temperature input is either unused or has negligible impact.

If you are looking for a smoother ride when tooling down the freeway (or other roads) at a steady state the Booster Plug or the Accelerator are not the device you want.

On the Road
    It's already smooth at constant throttle. I want the engine to run better at varying throttle like when you start off from a stop.

Mind is not for rent
    I run an IICE Air, which is similar to a BP. It smooths things out a bit at part-throttle, but really makes the bike punchier when you're beating on it. I like it, and for $75 it was a bargain.

Installed on my 2008 R1200GS

I have found a much steadier idle and a much smoother & more consistent low end rolling on the throttle. It was an epiphany for me.....

Eats dirt and leaves. kurtzinpa's Avatar
    Winters, CA for the winter... is that an oxymoran?
    Installed booster plug on G650GS Sertao last month. GREAT help on starts and manuvering at low rpm. There's a photo of the install in my albums.

Quote Originally Posted by m249joe View Post
    I have one on my R1200R and love it. Works as advertised.

Here is a pic of my cell phone that is communicating with my GS911. The bike is sitting in a heated garage at 64 degrees.

Joe - can you do the same readout when the ambient temp is somewhere around 40F or so? I believe the rationale behind using the thermistor in the sensor circuit is to make it change less as the temperature drops to avoid having an overly rich mixture. At least I think that's the reason.

If so - I might actually consider trying one. My bike was running particularly sweet this AM with the temps in the 40's.. so running a tad richer may be what it really likes. Of course my suspension also felt better this AM, so I'm guessing I have to up my damping adjustments a click or two when it's hotter out. Or it might all be imaginary and I was just really happy to be out riding in December..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche