Thread: Booster Plug opinions

Hybrid View

Booster Plug opinions

Looking for a little more from my RT and wonder what opinions there are regarding the 'Booster Plug' modification that I have read about.

JT_R1200RT
    You are not going to really get any HP gains, what it helps with is to make the bike run better off idle where in my opinion it is too lean. What you get which the literature states is about a 6% fuel enrichment because it spoofs the idle air intake temperature to read 20 degrees less than actual, it uses the existing fuel maps and takes advantage of the stock map adding more fuel at lower temps, I have verified this on a GS911 that the idle air temp is adjusted by 20 degrees.

There is lots of debate on whether this is really worth anything or not.

What I have found works well is to combine this with a Uni Filter and a free flowing slip on. I like the REMUS without the inserts. The bike is still quiet, but you get much improved throttle response, which for me makes a big difference to me and my riding style.

You can get a few ponies by pulling the stock header/cat and putting a free flow unit on it, and by adding a Dobec Performance fuel modifier, but let's face it this is just not a fast bike. I think for ride-ability the improved throttle response from just a slip on and the air filter change is all that is needed.

For me it is not so much about horsepower but about the bottom end. I ride two-up most of the time and would like a little more pulling power down low.
    Just curious about options, cost and such. Thanks for the info.

I've the Accelerator module which does the same thing the Booster plug does. My experience with it on my '05 GS is that I get no extra power (didn't expect any) but can run the bike smoothly at least 700 RPM less than I could without the device installed. This is a good thing when using the GS at low RPM in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I've the Accelerator module which does the same thing the Booster plug does. My experience with it on my '05 GS is that I get no extra power (didn't expect any) but can run the bike smoothly at least 700 RPM less than I could without the device installed. This is a good thing when using the GS at low RPM in the dirt.
    Marc,

What's the difference between the "compact" and "extended" versions?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    What's the difference between the "compact" and "extended" versions?
    Location of the air temperature sensor. The extended version puts the sensor on a moveable lead that you can place where you like. It more closely matches the booster plug.

Now for a little secret... a few folks have actually tested temperatures and found that when the bike is moving it doesn't make a bit of difference where you put the sensor. There are some hot spots when the bike is idle. Paying extra for a moveable sensor and then taking the extra hassle to route it to the perfect spot has next to zero added benefit in real life.

My install of the compact version: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/20...2-accelerator/

Hammam
    I had the Accelerator Module on my GS, plus a K&N air filter, plus iridium plugs, but OEM can, and it made for a more linear pull right from idle to around 4000 rpms. Between 2,500 and 4000 was the real improvement, with better and more regular torque with less throttle opening. Nothing spectacular, mind you, but really noticeable. Nice. I am considering the Booster Plug for my new RT.

Installed on my 2008 R1200GS

I have found a much steadier idle and a much smoother & more consistent low end rolling on the throttle. It was an epiphany for me.....

Eats dirt and leaves. kurtzinpa's Avatar
    Winters, CA for the winter... is that an oxymoran?
    Installed booster plug on G650GS Sertao last month. GREAT help on starts and manuvering at low rpm. There's a photo of the install in my albums.