Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Tennessee sights?

Suggestions for Tennessee sights?

We have a trip planned next June to go from Springfield Missouri, across northern Arkansas, across southern Tennessee, Up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Virginia, then back across Northern Tennessee and acrossed southern Missouri....

Is there anything/anyplace along those routes in Tennessee that I would be mad about if I missed it? I have two days allowed for the trip across Southern TN and two days for the trip back across Northern TN...with 9 days total.

The NW quadrant of AR is where the riding and mtns are located. Some parts are heavy on rice paddies and real flat. Plan your ride to linger there then to take in E.TN where their best riding is found too. Say what you like for a stop to get more info...

I live in SW Missouri, and ride the Ozark Mtns in Arkansas frequently. This trip is a trip 'just to see stuff'...so if its the worlds smallest ball of twine or a church formed out of wheel bearing grease, or just a beautiful waterfall, I'm just looking for suggestions.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

The Snake

You should try to get to upper East Tennessee and ride in the mountains and ride the Snake. It's not far from the snake to Boone, NC where you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is in Shady Valley Tennessee and near Mountain City, TN http://www.openroadjourney.com/loadroute.asp?rid=2222
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

The gravesite of Sergeant Alvin C. York, heroic figure from WW I, is located near his family home of Pall Mall, TN. Just off US 127 a few miles north of Jamestown, TN and just south of the KY border.

Oh, and there's lots of great looking roads in the area too.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    The gravesite of Sergeant Alvin C. York, heroic figure from WW I, is located near his family home of Pall Mall, TN. Just off US 127 a few miles north of Jamestown, TN and just south of the KY border.
    This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for...

The Trace;

Natchez Trace Parkway(free) begins in Nashville and goes 444miles SW to Natchez,Ms.. I just did it and a wow nice ride. You could come back up through Arkansas Ozarks and onward. Randy

Do you use a GPS?

Here are a couple of routes I laid out relative to our 2009 Rally in Johnson City, TN

Here are a couple of rides you can take surrounding the Smokey Mountain Park. These were intended as round trips from the Rally, but the roads on these routes might be useful to you.

These will start getting you looking at roads. If you don't use GPS, let me know and I can make some browser-based maps for your pretty quick.

Let me know if you have questions.... there are a million roads in this area that you will be mad if you missed....

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    You should try to get to upper East Tennessee and ride in the mountains and ride the Snake. It's not far from the snake to Boone, NC where you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is in Shady Valley Tennessee and near Mountain City, TN http://www.openroadjourney.com/loadroute.asp?rid=2222
    hey, don't forget to tell him about VA16.......

No GPS for me...I am kickin it 'old school'! Thanks for the suggestions though!.

I guess I need to specify..I'm not really looking for roads to ride, I'm looking for things to see at the end of the road.

Unique restaurants, strange or beautiful views, out of the way, only the locals know about it things or places, that kind of thing. Like in my little town there is a pauper and slave cemetery. National Historic registry kind of place. Only a few people know where it is...you get the idea.

I have 2 days to cover the 500 miles across the southern part of the state...so I have a little bit of time to kill each day, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    hey, don't forget to tell him about VA16.......

OK. It's about 45 miles from the Tn. line just off I-81 in Virginia. My favorite road and where I live. http://backofthedragon.com/
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Northwest corner of Tennessee in Union City, Tn. The Dixie Gun Works/The Old Car Museum. 1412 W. Reelfoot Av. I enjoyed it. A little out of the way Civil War site. The marker for the Battle of Island Number 10. Island is long gone but the marker is there to commerate it. North of Tiptonville on Highway 22. When you come to the T in the road, your at the marker. If you take a left at the T and follow it around you will come into a part of Kentucky cut off from the main part of that state by The Mississippi River and surrounded by Tn. and Missouri. Kinda neat.

Dont know if you would be interested but the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tn. is an interesting place. It's about 1 1/2 hours South of Nashville halfway between 65 and 24.

The tour is pretty good and there are some good restaurants and B&Bs in the area as well. Also, some of the roads around there are awesome.

www.jackdaniels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    Dont know if you would be interested but the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tn. is an interesting place. It's about 1 1/2 hours South of Nashville halfway between 65 and 24.

The tour is pretty good and there are some good restaurants and B&Bs in the area as well. Also, some of the roads around there are awesome.

www.jackdaniels.com
    Yep. The RA had a rally in Shelbyville several years ago that included a tour of Jack Daniels. Very interesting and informative. The RA made us take a bus as they were giving out samples.

Another one you may like is what is called the Ministers Tree House. Its this huge massive tree house maybe 4-5 stories tall and it's located outside of Crossville Tn.
    It's not actually built in a tree but rather around and on some trees.

It's been about 3-4 years since I was there and I dont't remember the exact directions other than to just keep riding on the road after it ended. The road turned into
    a glorified dirt/gravel path and was no fun on my Harley but it got us there. Later we found out that the "local" who gave us directions had brought us in the back way,
    but it all worked out fine.

You can actually go up into the tree house (at your own risk) and there was no charge for admission.

There is no formal website for it but if you Google it you will find directions.

It's a pretty off the wall type of place.