Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EZ-Pass

EZ-Pass

With the PA Turnpike a constant presence in my life, I need to figure out the best way to mount an EZ-Pass to my bike. I've read through some of the older threads on the topic, and it sounds like an exterior transponder mounted to the front forks works well. Does anyone happen to have a picture what this looks like?

I'm also considering this EZ Toll product (a mesh bag that ties onto the bike): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkpOsbZnos

Does anyone have any experience with this solution? It seems like an inexpensive option if it works.

I don't have a map bag, and I'm not ready to spend $50+ on a special mount just for EZ-Pass.

Thanks!
    Will
    87 K100RS

Ride well my friends!

Pocket of your jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Pocket of your jacket.
    Tried that and it didn't register.
    Will
    87 K100RS

Ride well my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by wavery View Post
    From the Mass site-
    # Where do I mount the transponder on a motorcycle?
    The transponder can be mounted on the windshield. If the motorcycle has no windshield it can be placed in a shirt or jacket pocket.

Quite a few that I know use velcro and stick it to the windshield. Here in Mass they can be moved around and there can be up to 4 on a non-commercial acct.
    A couple of wiring loom clamps and a small piece of plastic or laminate make a real usable, inexpensive flat surface. Especially so if your bike has the room on the handle bars. HTH Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

My son had trouble with his not working from his pocket or tank bag, turns out the transponder was flaky. They replaced it.
    I just stuck mine on the on the front of the bike behind the windshield.
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

And? Here in the left coast I've registered all my license plate numbers with the transponder account. If it doesn't register the toll authority uses the picture they snap to look up the plate number, see that it is associated with a transponder account, and charge that account. Works too well. I keep hoping that one of these times the transponder doesn't answer and the picture of the plate is unreadable.

If you can do the same thing don't worry if the transponder can be read or not.

Quote Originally Posted by alanrd View Post
    My son had trouble with his not working from his pocket or tank bag, turns out the transponder was flaky. They replaced it.
    I just stuck mine on the on the front of the bike behind the windshield.
    I should have added that I'm trying to avoid sticking the velcro strips to my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    And? Here in the left coast I've registered all my license plate numbers with the transponder account. If it doesn't register the toll authority uses the picture they snap to look up the plate number, see that it is associated with a transponder account, and charge that account. Works too well. I keep hoping that one of these times the transponder doesn't answer and the picture of the plate is unreadable.

If you can do the same thing don't worry if the transponder can be read or not.
    No such niceties here. In PA you get a nastygram and/or an extra charge to your account.
    Will
    87 K100RS

Ride well my friends!

Accessory shelf

I have an accessory shelf; best thing I ever installed on the bike.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I've been running a Pike Pass [never a problem] and an EZ-Pass [one problem] in my tankbag for some time now, and ran them there during the IBR. Never a problem until I got to NY where the EZ-Pass wasn't read. The attendent came out to help and told me the problem was it was upside down. I didn't have time to sit and visit but I really wanted to ask her why it read fine where it was everywhere else - guessing at least 6 tolls that day before reaching her booth.

I saw you don't have a map window/case/bag but my point is, some transponders seem to work better/stronger than others and some of the readers seem to have more power to read them - regardless of position.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I've been using the EZ Toll mesh bag for the last 2 years. It works great since I don't always need the EZ Pass on the bike. Its quick to put on and take off. I wrap the string around the brake reservoir on the right side. Just be sure to remove it if you're parked in a less than desirable area.

Although you said you didn't want to add velcro strips to your bike, that's how I mount my EZ Pass to my 87 KRS. If I had moved the sticker a little, or used a bigger sticker, you wouldn't see the strips when not in use.

I also think that mounting position may deter someone from trying to take it.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Aerostich sells a cycle E Pass holder that goes on either your handlebar or mittor stalk. I have one on the mirror stalk of my RS and it works great. Costs around $20 or so.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I have an accessory shelf; best thing I ever installed on the bike.
    Jerry, can you post a picture of your shelf? I can't let 'Best thing...ever' pass without some serious consideration.

Cheers!
    Will
    87 K100RS

Ride well my friends!

F800st

I just stuck it too the windscreen using the supplied velcro strips.

Same for the left coast guy, registered vehicles, transponder in vario case appears to work as no violations. Sneaky when cases are off, ride between toll strips, never get charged