Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where Do You Keep It All?

Quanto12
    The only thing I need quick access to is my wallet, and that's in my jacket chest pocket with the registration!
    My setup changes with where ever I decide to go! When I use the bike to commute to work the two saddle bags are usualy on, and I set them up something like "piperjim" does! If I plan to do some off road, I use the tank bag. At first the tank bag seem to be in the way but like everything else, I got use to it! And then when I go on a long trip, the setup changes again!
    And I'm like "From MARS", the cell phone is always on me! I Don't use GPS whatsoever,but if I did, I would probably go with the Touratech setup where you can lock the GPS on the bike, that way it can always stay there!

I keep a spare key in my wallet - which never leaves my pocket when I ride - and one stashed on the bike where I can get to it easily. I'm guessing Paul isn't talking about the spare key to his bike in the top box.

I run a factory tankbag on my RT. Easy on and off when I want to take it instead of leaving it on the bike. Nothing of value I can't live without in it. Anything of value gets locked in either the top box - which I rarely locked - or the side cases. When I take the GPS's off the bike, they almost always go in the sidecases which are almost always locked.

My personal experience over 55 riding years and more than a few miles in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Central America, Europe for 8 years and some [not much] riding in Asia has been - though there have been some stupid people that have set their kids on my bike or let them burn their hands on the hot exhaust - touching when/where they have no business being around - people seem to realize that generally, motorcyclists that leave things on their motorcycles that are easy to pick up and walk away with have an eye on the bike so they simply don't try to take anything. Obviously, common sense is the rule here. Leaving valuables on the bike at, say, a hotel overnight will probably be the first step in buying a replacement item, but leaving it open at a diner of some sort usually means you can watch it.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    So if you should lose your keys Paul, how do you get into your top case to retrieve the spare set? Just wondering
    That is really quite simple. The R1150 has a Jesse top case; the F650 has a Pelican case. Neither locks automatically and both are usually unlocked. When I stop where I think locking might be a good idea they get locked. But on any trip there resides a spare top case key in a safe place not in the topcase.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks everyone. I decided to send the tank bag back and get a bar pack map case, which has a couple of pockets in it. It has a much smaller foot print and I don't have to stick anything to my paint. The rest of the crap will ride in a top case for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Thanks everyone. I decided to send the tank bag back and get a bar pack map case, which has a couple of pockets in it. It has a much smaller foot print and I don't have to stick anything to my paint. The rest of the crap will ride in a top case for commuting.
    I'm contemplating what I'm going to do as far as a tank bag (or not). Could you tell me what brand is your "bar pack map case?" Or maybe post a product link or photo?

Thanks.
    Kris Jacobson Eugene, OR
    2005 R1200RT
    2007 F650GS-P
    BMW=Bavarian Motor Works BMD=Belgian Malinois Dog

6. 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Woodstock, CT

Keeping it handy..

I agree with Steve Aiken on the key - get the blank stock and have a thin one cut so it fits in your wallet.
    When I started doing cross country rides I bought a small day pack (with shoulder straps) and bungied it to the tank with a dish towel under it. I kept a couple of cameras, light meter, film (way back) and maps in there. Whe I stopped for rest I put it on my back and felt secure. When I got married, the lipstick and mirror went in there, too. Hers, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kjacobson View Post
    I'm contemplating what I'm going to do as far as a tank bag (or not). Could you tell me what brand is your "bar pack map case?" Or maybe post a product link or photo?

Thanks.
    I went with this:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...pcase-080-0030

I'm satisfied with it. I keep my EZ-Pass in the top, clear pocket. As long as I line up in the left side of the toll lane, no problems. The small pockets inside hold a pad, pen, small towel and a thin (meaning they fold down nearly flat) pair of sunglasses. When I get off the bike, two quick clips and I toss it into my tail box or carry it away with me.

Here's the tankbag I have from RKA:

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A08%20BMW...ots/GS_19C.jpg

Well built, reasonably priced and made in the USA. I use it to store my electric tire inflator, flashlight, oil fill cap key, water bottle, first aid kit and other small items in the larger lower compartment. In the upper compartment is where I keep the GS owners manual, state maps, sunglasses, face shield cleaning towel and the tire air pressure gauge. The "Poor Man's GPS" (i.e. map) goes in the map pocket right on top. Doesn't interfere with the bike's operation or instrument panel visibility at all.