Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Keep It All?

Where Do You Keep It All?

I took delivery of my 2012 GS on Tuesday and am trying to figure out where to keep all my "glove compartment" items: sunglasses, small towel, flashlight and GPS (when not mounted). The things you want quick access to on-the-go. I've developed the habit of not carrying anything except for maybe a wallet and cell phone, in my jacket out of fear that it will become part of my anatomy in a crash. Santa brought a Givi topcase but that's not exactly "quick" access.

I bought a tank bag in anticipation of the bike's arrival and am now having second thoughts. Even the small one I bought looks like it might get in the way of me shifting position and I'm not ready to stick adhesive strips to the virgin paint job...just don't care for the way it will look when the bag is detached: velcro patches take away from the glory of the color!

I'd appreciate some experienced advice as to where you stash your glove compartment items and how often do you need to get at them. My inclination is to return the bag and keep everything locked in the Givi. At the very least, it's locked and I can walk away from it.

Thanks for sharing your riding experience.
    Bob

Stashing Stuff

I'm with you Bob, I don't like a tank bag! A bag came with my bike and I don't use it at all. I have friends that carry all their "quick stuff" in a tank bag, but I've noticed that they don't get their stuff stashed, or unstashed, any quicker.

After the first several rides on my new bike, I was able to place things into "how quick do I need this?" categories. The credit card is in a jacket pocket, ready to purchase gas at the pump. Some cash is in the same pocket, in case I want to buy something else. And, an ink pen is in that pocket, too, in case I want to write down my mileage, or something. I keep a little digital camera in another jacket pocket. Other than a handkerchief or bandana in my pants pocket, that's all I carry in my riding suit.

Things like sunglasses, baseball cap and cell phone don't do me any good until I remove my helmet, earplugs and gloves anyway. I carry some things in ziploc bags so I can find them quickly, and tend to put the same items in the same place so I can find them quickly. For instance, the ziploc with my registration, insurance card, wallet, cell phone, tire pressure gauge and pencil are usually on the bottom of my left side case where I can grab them quickly when I dismount. I roll my sunglasses into my baseball cap and those sit on top of the items inside the left side case.

My experience is that being consistent in storing these items in the same place makes me as fast as my friends who ride with tank bags. And as you say, you can lock stuff up in the Givi and walk away without worrying about stripping the tank bag off the bike and either locking it, or carrying it.

It was all awkward at first, but after a while you develop your own system and it'll be second-nature!!
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

From MARS
    The only thing I would do different than PiperJim is keep my cell phone on my person. Ever since I found myself in a difficult situation and unable to reach my cell, its always on my person.

Tom

Ever since I found myself in a difficult situation and unable to reach my cell, its always on my person.
    Amen to that!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I use a Wolfman tank bag on my RS, which has no glove box in the fairing. But I'm thinking about switching to a tail bag for quick access items. For a GS I'd also consider something like the Givi TankLock tank bag.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

The side pockets on my tank bag are called the "junk drawer" which pretty well sums up their purpose.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Rally Rat

Bags-Connect

Check out this brand of tank bag that attaches to the gas cap ring. I love mine.
    Small, adjustable and rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaasu View Post
    Check out this brand of tank bag that attaches to the gas cap ring. I love mine. Small, adjustable and rock solid.
    I assume you meant Bags-Connection. This one looks nice. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

I'm not so much looking for tank bag suggestions. I already have one. I was mainly inquiring to see what other people do with their items, particularly those that don't use tank bags.

I posted above bout my junk drawer pockets on the tankbag. On my K75 I don't have pockets on the tank bag so knife, chapstick, compass, and assorted little stuff goes in a little fanny pack strapped around the tankbag.

But, most of the "stuff", glasses cleaner, Leatherman, spare keys, 1st aid kit, camera, binoculars, extra gloves, sunglasses/glasses case, computer, etc goes in the topcase.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thumbs up

A tank bag may not be "pretty" but it sure solves storage problems. I carry pens, lights, camera,ear plugs, leatherman, zip ties, maps/notes, etc, in mine. Items you may want access to, not packed away in side or tail bags are candidates for a tank bag.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Rally Rat

Mark

I did mean Bags-Connection. The bag shown on your link is the one I use.

Tough call have a 1200gs not real crazy about tank bag(small) having to unzip it every time a fuel stop. That being said it holds a incredible amount of stuff do recommed though wallet should be stored in jacket pocket for security reasons

There are a number of nice bags that attach to the handle bar to provide a quick access to small items.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    But, most of the "stuff", glasses cleaner, Leatherman, spare keys, 1st aid kit, camera, binoculars, extra gloves, sunglasses/glasses case, computer, etc goes in the topcase.
    So if you should lose your keys Paul, how do you get into your top case to retrieve the spare set? Just wondering
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333