Thread: Fuel gauge issue- 2007 R12RT

Hybrid View

Fuel gauge issue- 2007 R12RT

I just put some HID's in my 2007 r1200rt. This involves taking boith sides of the top tupper ware off. When I put it back together, it shows Im out of fuel. I'm about a gallon from being full. I pulled and reseated the connectors on the top right of the tank and the issue remains. Is there a "reset" or something? Anything else to check? Thanks for any help guys..

moving over to Hexheads

Short of rechecking those connections, if it was fine before, not sure.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

On the Road
    It sounds like the fuel strip is bad. If it is, has nothing to do with the work you just did on headlights.

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelche2 View Post
    It sounds like the fuel strip is bad. If it is, has nothing to do with the work you just did on headlights.
    If the yellow warning light is on and the fuel icon is flashing it is definately the fuel strip. If only one of these is on it could still be the fuel strip. I have also had fuel strip failure with only the fuel gage showing empty. It also happened at the dealer on pickup from a service. I have gone through five or six fuel strips to date on my 08 RT.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelche2 View Post
    If the yellow warning light is on and the fuel icon is flashing it is definately the fuel strip. If only one of these is on it could still be the fuel strip. I have also had fuel strip failure with only the fuel gage showing empty. It also happened at the dealer on pickup from a service. I have gone through five or six fuel strips to date on my 08 RT.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Is there a "home way" to dianose that? I know you have to take it to the dealer to replace it. Can I ohm the wires or something? And they are both blinking... The yellow light and the flashing fuel pump..

Did you turn the ignition on while the tank was off or disconnected?

If so - the level probably just needs to relearn where it is. Sorta like after you fill the tank, it can take 3-4 minutes for it to learn the new fuel level.

If it was me - I'd take it out for a ride (onerous job, but someone's gotta do it..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

No - i didn't turn the switch on. I've had it out a couple times since and it has the same issue. Is it possible the HID kit is drinking with my electrical system?