View Poll Results: My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugly to the point I would not buy one

33 17.37%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

21 11.05%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

43 22.63%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

93 48.95%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ugly BMW's?

BUBBAZANETTI
    I don't find any modern bmw particularly attractive, but they are very useful and good for tall people, one of the many reasons I love my 04 GS. I tried going with an older bike for a bit (84 ST) but it really didn't fit me very well, I guess the first BMW I had, an 84 R100 was more fondly remembered simply because I had no other comparison point.

The Hexhead GSes are far less attractive than the 1150 series, the best looking of the newer bikes.

I'm a vintage sort of guy, I can't wait to one day have a garage with a new and old bike in it, function and form depending on my mood.

Some bikes are undeniably gorgeous,

some, completely hopeless, not even their designers like them

bmw falls in the middle with a vast majority of their offerings (and all the new ones, IMO), I mean, what is there to say about something like

sorry K75 people.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Specifically the GS Line.....well, I find it to be functional and the best in its arena. As far as BMW styling in general...my '85 K100RS won international style awards when it came out - from non moto mags. All my K bikes have been very attractive bikes to me and generally elicited very appreciative comments. My K1300S is extremely attractive to me and many of my neighbors - from early highschoolers to old geezers in the 80's. But....as Paul said way back on the first page of 7, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I'll raise a beer to that.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >132,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    Some bikes are undeniably gorgeous, some, completely hopeless, not even their designers like them
    This has got to be one that even the designer can't love!

But then again, maybe I'm just missing something here. If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently. I mean, the bike HAS a front fender, right? Is this big red beak protecting the front fender from a hail storm?

PS. Rumor has it that this picture is printed in the new age Merriam Webster dictionary right next to the word UGLY! One look at this and you KNOW what the word means!

This year I bought a 2011 R1200RT. It took me several years to get over the new RT's looks before I would consider one. Having ridden an RT a couple of times I realized what a wonderful bike it is, so I finally buckled and bought one.

When the 1200RT with the "floating" body panels came out I thought it was hideous. When I bought it I thought it was merely homely. Now I think is is OK looking. Its looks continue to grow on me, and a couple of people have said it is really good looking, but I'm not there yet.

The best looking classic vehicles have smooth, organic shapes with flowing lines. Think AC Cobra, BMW 328 or the new Alfa 8C. For bikes it would be a BSA Gold Star or '70's Ducati 750SS.

As functionally competent as they may be, the new slash cut line, origami styled vehicles will never be thought of in that way.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by hultman View Post
    This has got to be one that even the designer can't love!

But then again, maybe I'm just missing something here. If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently. I mean, the bike HAS a front fender, right? Is this big red beak protecting the front fender from a hail storm?

PS. Rumor has it that this picture is printed in the new age Merriam Webster dictionary right next to the word UGLY! One look at this and you KNOW what the word means!
    Hey, that's my bike, minus the topcase. It's GORGEOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hey, that's my bike, minus the topcase. It's GORGEOUS!
    Does that mean that YOU know what the hideous red protrusion is? PLEASE tell me!!

This has got to be one that even the designer can't love! ... If someone would please explain to me what that huge, obscene red protrusion is above the front wheel, maybe I'd feel differently.
    Well I love it. I'd take that in a New York minute for the right price--it's at the top of my wish list. And I don't see the obscene red protrusion you referred to... maybe you just need new glasses.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Does that mean that YOU know what the hideous red protrusion is? PLEASE tell me!!
    I know! I know! It is called the "beak", of course.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I know! I know! It is called the "beak", of course.
    And it's purpose is??????????

I wonder if it is possible to change the body design a bit and get rid of the beak on the front. Can someone photo shop it ??

The new Yamaha Tenere looks better IMHO.

I had a Wee Strom for a while but it was so ugly the other bikes in the stable at the time all complained about sharing space with it.

But probably I'll just continue be a grumpy old fart who's pissed that he can't buy a new BMW! Oh well.
    With 20% of the replies here, I would say your right

I used to think ALL BMW's looked "funny" back in my teens and twenties, now each one has appeal in some form or the other...to each his own. I don't call anyones bike ugly, not even the rusted 650 Bubba posted well, maybe that one needs some lovin'!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

And it's purpose is??????????
    I guess you missed it way back in post #12 where I said:
    It focuses air into the oil cooler and keeps dirt out.
    It's definitely functional for a bike intended to be ridden at least part of the time in the dirt.

It's fine if you don't like the way it looks, it's your own opinion. I own an R1200ST and think it is great, but I know that not too many other people share that opinion. Oh well, their loss.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    With 20% of the replies here, I would say your right
    Yeah, but the "I Like it" percentage is down to 44%, so I'm makin' progress!!

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    The new Yamaha Tenere looks better IMHO.
    I don't know, it looks like it's missing a cool beak to me, something looks amiss
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    It focuses air into the oil cooler and keeps dirt out.
    Oh bull cookies! I'm no aerodynamicist, but someone is blowing smoke up yer skirt!