View Poll Results: My opinion of current BMW style (Specifically the GS model line)

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ugly to the point I would not buy one

33 17.37%
  • The style doesn't appeal to me but I would buy one anyway

21 11.05%
  • Neutral - The current style doesn't matter to me

43 22.63%
  • Attractive - I like the current style

93 48.95%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ugly BMW's?

birds have beaks, so do bmw's

R90s and /6 models are the only two models I really think are great looking,

I kind of like the beak on my GS since my assumption is it may stop a rock from crashing in to my headlight. The GS is purpose built for unpaved road riding and that can explain the looks.

The RT on the other hand (since my ex 2004) is just wierd looking to me.

Others like the looks of the RT and it certainly performs its mission well except for the seat!

BTW I really love the look of the early oilhead RS models too.
    74 R90/6 and 09 R1200GS. member of Christian Motorcyclist Association. Ride for Jesus!

In school I heard that design was the harmonious integration
    of the working parts. It was not maximising the clashes or
    covering everything with a piece of plastoid. The classic BMW
    was harmonious and the only 'extra' was the pin-stripping.
    Maybe that's why they are classics.
    mXa
    learn to forget

Quote Originally Posted by mXarad View Post
    In school I heard that design was the harmonious integration
    of the working parts. It was not maximising the clashes or
    covering everything with a piece of plastoid. The classic BMW
    was harmonious and the only 'extra' was the pin-stripping.
    Maybe that's why they are classics.
    mXa
    I've tried to explain why BMW's have the look and style they have using your type of reasoning to my my biker buddies down at the local bar. They never really buy into that sort of reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by hultman View Post
    I'd like to see hultmans' tats...
    Maybe this whole design thing is like tats,e.g., in the past many were drunk when they got one, whereas now you do it sober & on purpose, I suppose? In that line of thought, I'd have to not be sober to like the appearance of many new bikes & cars. The e.g., of older women vs. the younger models-now I really don't get that one at all? The Guzzi shown earlier & the retro Ducati models & some airheads have my vote for the "right look". My beakster 1150R, well I really don't like the looks, but as OsbornK says, I don't have to see it on the road.
    This whole style thing is very discussable. I had lots of art training at one time and I still don't like modern art for the most part or modern bike styles. Same for many clothing styles.Who hasn't made fun of the runway models and the weird clothes? I saw someone the other day(definitely not from where I live) that had pants with the strap between the pockets like when I was in H.S.. I thought they were dumb then & still do. Collar button in back center, sameo. As to newer looks = better looks in bikes, I understand they spend mega$$$ on adv. & that some of you are drinking todays koolaid. Hultman & I , we just drank the earlier recipe koolaid.
    On a more serious note I can remember when cars were switching to electronics(long time ago) and we had tech teachers( where I worked) that were really dated in their knowledge and more importantly, some were simply unwilling to update their skills. Folks, that's not the same thing as "do I like the looks" of whatever modern/latest machine. Styling is different than technology to a certain extent(use of plastic/alloys/electronics, etc.) even though they intertwine as a natural result of using what works best.

FWIW, bubbazaneta's thread on Advrider "whats the best looking road bike ever" has over 1/2 million views & 2,700+ replies-quite a range of opinion too.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 12-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    Do you have to be a registered voter to do this?
    Yes, and you need a photo ID too!

Been thinking a bit more about this poll. Almost 30% of those responding don't like the style of the current GS. 16% of them think it's so ugly that they wouldn't buy one.

Think about this. These are the faithful, members of the MOA. Probably BMW employees, even. Many of us bleed BMW blue. We eat, drink, sleep and dream BMW. And 16% wouldn't buy this bike because it is flat out UGLY!

And only half of those responding like the style.

What would those numbers be among the general public? The general BUYING public?

I think that BMW needs to pay attention to numbers like these. And give us a BMW that looks like a BMW, not like something designed by Boy George on crack!

Just sayin'

Interesting thought about BMW paying attention to the numbers from the MOA.

Now i wonder;
    what percentage of BMW buyers who are members of the MOA vs those who are not might be, and what the non members would say about the looks /design ?

Then another question comes to mind ;
    what % of overall world wide sales of BMW motorcycle & the GS model specifically does the MOA account for ?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hultman View Post
    Been thinking a bit more about this poll. Almost 30% of those responding don't like the style of the current GS. 16% of them think it's so ugly that they wouldn't buy one.

Think about this. These are the faithful, members of the MOA. Probably BMW employees, even. Many of us bleed BMW blue. We eat, drink, sleep and dream BMW. And 16% wouldn't buy this bike because it is flat out UGLY!

And only half of those responding like the style.

What would those numbers be among the general public? The general BUYING public?

I think that BMW needs to pay attention to numbers like these. And give us a BMW that looks like a BMW, not like something designed by Boy George on crack!

Just sayin'

Gosh - you just gotta love stats. Without the hassle of waterboarding, you can get them to say anything you want them to, given some creative manipulation of the numbers.

As of this morning, with 65 members responding, better than 84% of the MOA either likes the style or would at least buy one regardless. There you have it - an overwhelming vote of confidence for the GS - or is it?

65 members out of say, 35,000 represents .19% of the MOA. This is why I support surveys and detest polls. Surveys offer everyone the chance to weigh in, while polls talk to a few people and then tell me what I think - very insulting.

Seems like an "eye of the beholder" discussion anyways. While I don't currently own a GS, I find their functional styling somewhat appealing. JMHO.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Ugly is as ugly does.

Too many bikes are designed to look attractive.
    Great when it is parked.

Give me a bike that looks great from the seat.
    One that works well, goes fast if I want too, stops well on all surfaces and
    weather conditions I typically ride in.
    One that carries two people and our gear in comfort.
    One that easily powers 2 heated jacket liners and gloves.
    Throw in some driving lights, GPS, Autocom, etc. and have left over
    to run heated seat.

If I want to park it and look at it to judge its value/beauty I can do that too.
    My GT is a striking design and often receives compliments.

But I don't buy a mc to park it and compare looks.
    Ain't no beauty contest, IMO, unless you want to ride 500 miles and then kick tires
    then do it again.

The idea of buying a bike for looks has merit.
    The idea of buying for function has merit.
    Calling a bike ugly based on how it looks parked does everyone an injustice.
    Best wishes.
    Tim
    Mearas Luhn
    If my mind wanders, should I follow it?

Quote Originally Posted by tallyGT View Post
    The idea of buying a bike for looks has merit.
    The idea of buying for function has merit.
    Why not both? I love riding my RS. And when it's parked, I love how it looks. But I agree that function is first priority and looks is second. Applies to many things in life, maybe even most things. I had to chuckle at your post coming from a guy with a gorgeous GT.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Ugly BMWs

Will all of the owners of ugly BMWs please be so kind and call me so I can take those wretched bikes off of your hands before you are caught with them? Just trying to provide a service for those of you who don't want to be caught dead with one!

Kent

P.S. I may have to build an addition to my garage to house them but it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make for my fellow BMWMOAers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Gosh - .

....Seems like an "eye of the beholder" discussion anyways....
    An old Amish friend of mine once told me, 'If we all liked the same thing, we'd all be married to the same woman.'

Gotta love those Amish!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    As of this morning, with 65 members responding, better than 84% of the MOA either likes the style or would at least buy one regardless.
    Really? "Would buy one regardless?" You really consider that a resounding endorsement of the current style choices BMW is making? When many of the faithful would buy one "regardless" of the style? And less than half of the same faithful actually like your design?

I guess I'd have a hard time calling that a "success". At best I would call it a "momentum endorsement" of the historical superiority of the GS. Especially coming from MOA members who know this bike, or at least know it's history. But what about the rest of the world?

In any case, of course you're right, 71 responses isn't statistically significant. But at least it's being talked about and I can still hope that BMW is paying attention! However, I suspect they are too busy trying to convince the hip younger generation that this style is cool. And I will continue to hope that they pay attention to retro success stories like the mustang, camaro, challenger, mini cooper, etc.

But probably I'll just continue be a grumpy old fart who's pissed that he can't buy a new BMW! Oh well.

Since the US/Canada are not the largest market for BMW, I don't see them changing anything to appease a small percentage of folks. Retro may be cool, but it's also not for everyone either.

And the new Mustang and Camaro look nothing or perform nothing like the original. but that's my opinion.

Wouldn't this be fun carried on in the old method of editorials in the magazine
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Since the US/Canada are not the largest market for BMW, I don't see them changing anything to appease a small percentage of folks. Retro may be cool, but it's also not for everyone either.

And the new Mustang and Camaro look nothing or perform nothing like the original. but that's my opinion.

Wouldn't this be fun carried on in the old method of editorials in the magazine
    I think between the previous "eyes of the beholder" comments & your "niche market comment" that pretty much sums it up. I think I recall from a mfg talk @ TN rally , that the BMW mkt share is like 3% or similar of USA bikes. They are looking after a certain few peoples taste.